Signal Mountain to appeal

Rabble Rouser

Hope someone can help me with this. Back in the stone age when we sent the eligibility forms to Hermitage by pony express, there were two different forms. One was a single piece of paper with about fifteen lines. The lines, of course, were for fifteen names. This form was for the returning athletes ( those who had been enrolled for the past 365 days) and the in-coming freshmen. The other form was one page and it was for one athlete - a transfer. What does it look like online today? Being a rural school, we didn't have many transfers. But I remember the assistant principal always went to the kid's house to check on where he lived. Even after we sent in the form, we always called a few days later to talk to Mr. Carter or Mr. Childress or whoever was in charge of that particular sport. Just to touch base and see if they had any questions.

Most of the time the outcome was favorable, but not always.

A link to that transfer form in pdf was posted a bunch of pages back. SM didn't turn it in or if they did, they screwed it up.

Hope someone can help me with this. Back in the stone age when we sent the eligibility forms to Hermitage by pony express, there were two different forms. One was a single piece of paper with about fifteen lines. The lines, of course, were for fifteen names. This form was for the returning athletes ( those who had been enrolled for the past 365 days) and the in-coming freshmen. The other form was one page and it was for one athlete - a transfer. What does it look like online today? Being a rural school, we didn't have many transfers. But I remember the assistant principal always went to the kid's house to check on where he lived. Even after we sent in the form, we always called a few days later to talk to Mr. Carter or Mr. Childress or whoever was in charge of that particular sport. Just to touch base and see if they had any questions.

Most of the time the outcome was favorable, but not always.

They don't even use a paper form any more. The whole process is done online...and if a kid lives ooz and the form is filled out correctly,it automatically generates a hardship form to fill out for submission. And there is a training power point available on the TSSAA web site and a contact person listed if there are questions.I have tried not to speculate about the reason this problem occurred. I am going with the TSSAA "mistake" line. I think they are being very generous with SM. They could probably persue the recruiting line since everyone has admitted there was contact with a member of the coaching staff prior to the boy's enrollment. Even if there wasn't any recruiting involved, SM staff should be put on notice that such contact with an ooz player could jeopardize the player's eligibility and the school's standing with TSSAA.

• Upvote 1

They don't even use a paper form any more. The whole process is done online...and if a kid lives ooz and the form is filled out correctly,it automatically generates a hardship form to fill out for submission. And there is a training power point available on the TSSAA web site and a contact person listed if there are questions.I have tried not to speculate about the reason this problem occurred. I am going with the TSSAA "mistake" line. I think they are being very generous with SM. They could probably persue the recruiting line since everyone has admitted there was contact with a member of the coaching staff prior to the boy's enrollment. Even if there wasn't any recruiting involved, SM staff should be put on notice that such contact with an ooz player could jeopardize the player's eligibility and the school's standing with TSSAA.

Recruiting line....come on now...this kid was not ever considered a star on anybody's radar until about 7 games into the year at SM. Even with that, his play was very limited. Prior to coming to SM his entire HS career consisted of two quarters of play for a winless LFO team. To say the TSSAA is generous is a joke. If my son wanted to attend Grenville next year and we contacted their coaches about what it would take to get enrolled next year, they would talk to him and it would not be illegal recruiting.

Recruiting line....come on now...this kid was not ever considered a star on anybody's radar until about 7 games into the year at SM. Even with that, his play was very limited. Prior to coming to SM his entire HS career consisted of two quarters of play for a winless LFO team. To say the TSSAA is generous is a joke. If my son wanted to attend Grenville next year and we contacted their coaches about what it would take to get enrolled next year, they would talk to him and it would not be illegal recruiting.

If you contact a Greeneville coach, or Signal Mt or any coach, the TSSAA book says they're supposed to tell you to get in touch with admissions/office personnel.

Well if a coach knows the rules, he would advise the parents that he isn't allowed to provide that information and refer them to the BOE for guidance. I know if I were in SM position, I would have been squirming after reading that the kid said he was texting that assistant coach.(even though Gossett was careful to avoid the use of coach when referring to Shane Roberson) I appreciate that this kid needs a mentor and it's wonderful that Roberson went to bat for him, but there is a definite appearance of impropriety that an assistant football coach went to the BOE to expedite a hardship transfer for a kid that just happened to become a stand-out RB. Pile on the paperwork issues and the whole thing starts to stink. No wonder SM is appealing on the "interpretation" grounds. It's the only chance they have to remedy the situation.

Edited by barb

This was in Ward Gossett's Journey to Signal Mountin article in the TimesFreePress:

“He and his mom both began texting me asking for my help because they wanted to get him in school at Signal because of the educational environment and [the fact] that I would be there to make sure he got done what he needed to academically,†Roberson said. “I went to the Hamilton County [school board] offices and spoke to them about him, gave them his history and the reasons he wanted to transfer

Direct quote from Shane Roberson.

Nope...Roberson went to the HCBE for the kid...

He did go to the HCDE. This wasn't recruiting and if it were the TSSAA would have nailed us for it.

But as posted in your mighty Greene Devils thread...

"Well, believe it or not, there were 4 Mosheim players contacted by a member of the Greeneville coaching staff. Starnes, Boles, Carter, and Johnson (good RB who I heard moved away after 8th grade). Now before you start in on me, I know all that to be a fact."

Again you're a hypocrite.

You know people wouldn't be talking about recruiting if they didn't think we were right on our territory issue. That even goes for Childress and for him to be on a television interview and start it out like he did was way wrong. :thumb: