Obion is calling the game bc of Rain

sonofmandingo

This is extremely SOFT and a disgrace to football. This is the greatest game to ever be invented. And one of the reasons it's so great is the fact that you play regardless of weather! OC really looks bad! That's the difference between champions and mediocre teams. Champions would do their thing regardless of weather.

I hope that the Trojan players react to this in the same manner that apparently everyone not an O.C. "homer" has and gives Coach Jackson something to reflect back on.Maybe a bad idea on both fronts,how would it make you feel if your coach pulled some "shennagans" like this in an obvious attempt to gain an advantage?Like he was scared of losing? Also,in response to ucgrads question...this is all Coach Jackson,Coach Stowe did not agree to rescedule when contacted,last I heard it was in the hands of the principals of both schools...because the coaches could not settle.

Edited by tradertwo

Wet weather pushes back OC-D’burg

Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:02 pm The Messenger

Overnight rain and the threat of more showers throughout the day has forced Obion County Central officials to postpone tonight’s football game with visiting Dyersburg until Friday night.

Kickoff will remain at 7 p.m.

OCCHS Athletic Director Craig Rogers made the call this morning after evaluating the situation and checking the weather radar that showed more rainfall in Arkansas possibly headed in this direction.

Senior Night activities — which will be held before the game — are to honor more than 50 Rebel fall sports athletes and figured into the decision as well, Rogers said.

“There were a lot of variables. Obviously, the rain and field conditions are first, and it looks like a heavy band (of rain) is headed our way and could get here later in the day,†he told The Messenger. “We’ll be honoring a lot of seniors and we don’t want their parents to have to stand out in the rain, either.

“And, there’s the gate issue, too. We’re expecting a big, big crowd, and we don’t want the weather to be an issue. Friday is supposed to be nice, and my thought is that this is just the best for all involved.â€

Rogers said OC head football coach Shawn Jackson was initially in favor of playing, but was on-board with his decision after listening to his reasoning.

The Central AD contacted Dyersburg officials around mid-morning and delivered the news.

“It’s our home game and our call,†Rogers said.

The contest will have a bearing on the seeding for the West quad playoff bracket in Class 4A.

If the Rebels win and complete a 9-1 regular season, they likely will be the fifth seed and play in Memphis at either Kings-bury or Frayser in Round 1 — barring an upset in the Covington-Ripley or Milan vs. Haywood game(s).

A loss likely would send Central to Memphis to play Fairley in the opening round as the sixth seed. The Bulldogs probably will be ticketed as a No. 3 seed.

Dyersburg, winners of six straight and with a 7-2 mark coming in, would be a fifth seed if it beats Obion Central and a sixth seed with a loss.

No decision had been made as of press time on the Huntingdon at Dresden District 13A showdown, also tonight.

The No. 1-ranked Mustangs will be looking to complete their first unbeaten regular season since 1975, while Dresden could win its first district championship since 1998.

By the way your statement has been printed above from the U C paper.....the Obion officials could have cared less if Dyersburg had a say or not. That is real class. ANYWHERE IN THE STATE OF TENNESSEE OR ANY STATE FOR THAT MATTER...each school comes together on a decision on this matter but home school has final say. This was a joke...you know it..the Rebels faithful know it and Jackson doesn't care. It is his way to show he is pissed that OC has to travel win or loose to Memphis by the way of the playoffs. This game would have been played on Thursday if the Rebels had been 9 - 0. Should win but not a safe trip for anyone from this area...different part of the world. I'm not a Dyersburg fan but on the same level, stuff like this has everyone shaking their heads knowing who and what is said about coach Jackson....no coahces respect him in the West and this just adds to it. I know many of them and some who caoch against him. I REALLY hate this for the school because he could care less if this is the Rebels, the Tornadoes, the Vols or the Titans....he is just for him and him only. But it is what it is....the game is now Friday and will be played baring temps below 40 degrees......lol.

Wet weather pushes back OC-D’burg

Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 7:02 pm The Messenger

Overnight rain and the threat of more showers throughout the day has forced Obion County Central officials to postpone tonight’s football game with visiting Dyersburg until Friday night.

Kickoff will remain at 7 p.m.

OCCHS Athletic Director Craig Rogers made the call this morning after evaluating the situation and checking the weather radar that showed more rainfall in Arkansas possibly headed in this direction.

Senior Night activities — which will be held before the game — are to honor more than 50 Rebel fall sports athletes and figured into the decision as well, Rogers said.

“There were a lot of variables. Obviously, the rain and field conditions are first, and it looks like a heavy band (of rain) is headed our way and could get here later in the day,†he told The Messenger. “We’ll be honoring a lot of seniors and we don’t want their parents to have to stand out in the rain, either.

“And, there’s the gate issue, too. We’re expecting a big, big crowd, and we don’t want the weather to be an issue. Friday is supposed to be nice, and my thought is that this is just the best for all involved.â€

Rogers said OC head football coach Shawn Jackson was initially in favor of playing, but was on-board with his decision after listening to his reasoning.

The Central AD contacted Dyersburg officials around mid-morning and delivered the news.

“It’s our home game and our call,†Rogers said.

The contest will have a bearing on the seeding for the West quad playoff bracket in Class 4A.

If the Rebels win and complete a 9-1 regular season, they likely will be the fifth seed and play in Memphis at either Kings-bury or Frayser in Round 1 — barring an upset in the Covington-Ripley or Milan vs. Haywood game(s).

A loss likely would send Central to Memphis to play Fairley in the opening round as the sixth seed. The Bulldogs probably will be ticketed as a No. 3 seed.

Dyersburg, winners of six straight and with a 7-2 mark coming in, would be a fifth seed if it beats Obion Central and a sixth seed with a loss.

No decision had been made as of press time on the Huntingdon at Dresden District 13A showdown, also tonight.

The No. 1-ranked Mustangs will be looking to complete their first unbeaten regular season since 1975, while Dresden could win its first district championship since 1998.

1983...(6-1) Milan Bulldogs @ (6-1) Union City Golden Tornadoes...Senior Night

All day long it rained...Then it rained some more and if that wasn't enough, it rained some more...This was way before Turf Management...This was when coaches mowed the field and painted the yard lines and numbers...War Memorial Stadium looked like a flippin' river...Oh yeah, when we went out to warm up it was raining harder than it had all day...I thought I as going to have bring a snorkel out while I was doing my stretches...This game was between the top two teams in the district...This game was going to determine the lone team from our district to go to the state playoffs...This game could be Union City's first ticket to the state playoffs since 1976...This game was supposed to be witnessed by an over-flow crowd...This was supposed to be our special night...Our SENIOR NIGHT...Well, because of the rain there was a very sparse crowd and our senior night activities saw our parents getting dang near drowned in the monsoon...Game should have been postponed to the next night...It was an important game...Saturday saw bright sunshine and perfect temps...Perfect football weather...

You morons calling it a disgrace and whatever else, get over yourselves...This is HIGH SCHOOL football...This is a very special night for these kids and an even more special night for the kid's parents...There was no need to have 150 or more people standing out there in the rain and cold...

By the way your statement has been printed above from the U C paper.....the Obion officials could have cared less if Dyersburg had a say or not. That is real class. ANYWHERE IN THE STATE OF TENNESSEE OR ANY STATE FOR THAT MATTER...each school comes together on a decision on this matter but home school has final say. This was a joke...you know it..the Rebels faithful know it and Jackson doesn't care. It is his way to show he is pissed that OC has to travel win or loose to Memphis by the way of the playoffs. This game would have been played on Thursday if the Rebels had been 9 - 0. Should win but not a safe trip for anyone from this area...different part of the world. I'm not a Dyersburg fan but on the same level, stuff like this has everyone shaking their heads knowing who and what is said about coach Jackson....no coahces respect him in the West and this just adds to it. I know many of them and some who caoch against him. I REALLY hate this for the school because he could care less if this is the Rebels, the Tornadoes, the Vols or the Titans....he is just for him and him only. But it is what it is....the game is now Friday and will be played baring temps below 40 degrees......lol.

Wow, I'm glad you know what EVERY coach thinks of Coach Jackson! Maybe you need to get out of the Coach T posting and into fortune telling, because you apparently you can read minds of multiple people, Coach Jackson included!

Add to that, read the first line of the article....."ATHLETIC DIRECTOR Craig Rogers" made the call, not Coach Shawn Jackson, not the Great Pumpkin or Tiny the 300lb Midget. The A.D. made the call. And yes, in the pecking order, the A.D is usually higher ranked on the totem pole of decision making. Or at least that's how it works in Obion County the last time anyone bothered to check.

1983...(6-1) Milan Bulldogs @ (6-1) Union City Golden Tornadoes...Senior Night

All day long it rained...Then it rained some more and if that wasn't enough, it rained some more...This was way before Turf Management...This was when coaches mowed the field and painted the yard lines and numbers...War Memorial Stadium looked like a flippin' river...Oh yeah, when we went out to warm up it was raining harder than it had all day...I thought I as going to have bring a snorkel out while I was doing my stretches...This game was between the top two teams in the district...This game was going to determine the lone team from our district to go to the state playoffs...This game could be Union City's first ticket to the state playoffs since 1976...This game was supposed to be witnessed by an over-flow crowd...This was supposed to be our special night...Our SENIOR NIGHT...Well, because of the rain there was a very sparse crowd and our senior night activities saw our parents getting dang near drowned in the monsoon...Game should have been postponed to the next night...It was an important game...Saturday saw bright sunshine and perfect temps...Perfect football weather...

You morons calling it a disgrace and whatever else, get over yourselves...This is HIGH SCHOOL football...This is a very special night for these kids and an even more special night for the kid's parents...There was no need to have 150 or more people standing out there in the rain and cold...

I couldnt agree more! Besides,we all got to see an awesome game tonight! Everyone calling foul on the "higher ups" calling this game tonight should really just take a chill pill. There will still be another day to watch ur Trojans get beat!! Thats tomorrow night! GO REBELS!! Gonna be a good game tomorrow night so everyone come on out. Especially you, TROLL OF MANDIGO.

Agree, I thought the same thing as an above poster when read the excuse of reduced gate theory. If they play they'll come, who knows could be worse tomorrow and many fans of other teams were coming tonight that wont tomorrow when their team is playing. Somebody is copping out. Sorta like their defense skarred and they don't wonna get wet. This is supposed to be football people. I guess yall can play with flags Saturday.

Maybe you should check the weather and you would see that tomorrow is gonna be clear. Thats for all you idiots that have mentioned that the weather is or maybe worst tomorrow night. It will be cold, but incase you didnt know already OC has always been full of tough outdoor boys and im pretty sure thats not gonna bother them, or anyone on dyersburg! They didnt ask for the game to be cancelled! Its above them...but u can bet that they would have been ready if the game wasnt called. I hope all this trash talk from you Trojan fans comes back and bites you in the rear tomorrow night!!

TROLL!!!

OC, use the gym for Senior night activities if needed. If you don't wanna get wet, if it even happens to rain. Was it even wet, everybody else played Huntington, St.Loius, many high school games,not aware of any other cancellations. And as for the AD making the call, any AD that would go against the wishes of the football program is not worth his salt and should be removed. So if that was the case as some of you guys allege, he needs to be assigned to the bus garage. Not a good situation and/or equitable outcome. It's a football game first, all the other activities are and should be residual and secondary