Maryville vs. Science Hill

tulsaunion

I went to SH in the late 90s and the crowds were always pretty good back then. I haven't lived in the area since I graduated so I rarely get to games these days. It isn't rocket science to figure out why the crowd support there isn't great. They aren't a program that wins games, not until recently anyway. When you go multiple years winning 2-3 games a year, you can't expect a lot of support. You've got to show the crowd you can win, and win consistently, before they buy into it. The JC crowd hasn't bought into yet.

Edited by AlumnI01

I went to SH in the late 90s and the crowds were always pretty good back then. I haven't lived in the area since I graduated so I rarely get to games these days. It isn't rocket science to figure out why the crowd support there isn't great. They aren't a program that wins games, not until recently anyway. When you go multiple years winning 2-3 games a year, you can't expect a lot of support. You've got to show the crowd you can win, and win consistently, before they buy into it. The JC crowd hasn't bought into yet.

They've won more than 2-3 games a year recently. I know they had a 0-10 season in '99 or 2000, but they've had some decent teams over the years and they've made the playoffs a few times. But where's the support when they're 7-2 getting ready to face their archrival Dobyns-Bennett for the conference championship? Where was the support when they had their first playoff victory in several years? Science Hill won't be satisfied until they beat DB. That's what they care about. :thumb:

Carter is going to get to see the spread in its most perfect execution. I hate the spread because when it is done right it is frustrating to defend just like our wing-t. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!!!

You know it's not the wing t right? At no point has DB run the Wing T this year. It's the Double Wing/Flexbone depending on who you ask, but it's def not the Wing T.

Ron, I promise you it won't be much different than last year. Maryville will average 10 yards a carry. If Carter throws too much, which he usually does, it will be mercy ruled by halftime. Maryville will not have played a softer "D" all year. Their Linebackers constantly stunt and are easy to pick off with down blocks which leaves huge lanes. Prevo will have a field day.

You sound amazingly bitter. Perhaps an angry parent? Carter has actually ran the ball more than he has passed this year and has historically done so. What amazes me about you yahoo couch potato qbs is the lack of football IQ y'all have. You can't run the ball every down, you have to pass to loosen the box up and get the defensive backfield out. I'm not going to claim that SH will give Maryville a fight, but I will say the Rebels will see a much better team than they did last year. Problem is that Maryville is much better than last year too. I say they win by the same score 35-7, only because Maryville has a level of class and sportsmanship other schools can't even sniff at.

It isn't rocket science to figure out why the crowd support there isn't great. They aren't a program that wins games, not until recently anyway. When you go multiple years winning 2-3 games a year, you can't expect a lot of support. You've got to show the crowd you can win, and win consistently, before they buy into it. The JC crowd hasn't bought into yet.

I am not sure that's right. For example, Volunteer High School just down the road has had many seasons where the win total as been between 0 and 5. And they have great crowds at home. They travel pretty well too. I do not think you can blame it 100% on their success rate. Something in the water in Johnson City these days. Who knows. I do know this, if parents first and foremost, and then the rest of the community at large can't support their team, espically as they are improving by bounds, then I don't know what to tell you. :(

Did you guys know that Steve Spurrier lost to the Cats on Blankenship Field when he played for the Toppers. He was kicker, punter, qb, safety. He did it all that night and they lost basically on the last play of the game. That game still bothers him to this day. He talked about it at the Knoxville QB Club one time.

JC is interesting, we went up there to the old field a few times and they had awesome crowds at home. That was in the late 90's. They have been to Blankenship a few times more recently and traveled extremely poorly. Like practically nobody came, and that was for the playoffs. I think if they get back to winning consistently the home crowds will pick up, but I can't see much support on the road games.

I will say Maryville wins this one, as bad as they want, same old story for the Rebs.

I know you guys want to play Riverdale down the road if you both win 2 more, but I want you to play Oak Ridge. good luck

Don't like looking ahead for obvious reasons , but this is not true , I'd rather play you guys with your QB healthy ... 7AAA or local team = no brainer . :thumb:

Don't like looking ahead for obvious reasons , but this is not true , I'd rather play you guys with your QB healthy ... 7AAA or local team = no brainer . :thumb:

Like pep, I don't want to look ahead, but I'll go ahead and predict that Oak Ridge beats Riverdale/Blackman and advances to the semis.

You know it's not the wing t right? At no point has DB run the Wing T this year. It's the Double Wing/Flexbone depending on who you ask, but it's def not the Wing T.

All similar versions whatever you call it. What we ran back in the late 80's and early 90's was called the wing-t just like Georgia Southern and it looks very similar. Don't know when the flex bone name was created but it's still very similar. So whatever you want to call it, just try and stop it. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure that's right. For example, Volunteer High School just down the road has had many seasons where the win total as been between 0 and 5. And they have great crowds at home. They travel pretty well too. I do not think you can blame it 100% on their success rate. Something in the water in Johnson City these days. Who knows. I do know this, if parents first and foremost, and then the rest of the community at large can't support their team, espically as they are improving by bounds, then I don't know what to tell you. :(

No offense to anyone from Church Hill or Rogersville(I'm sorry but I'm really not that sure where Volunteer is),but as far as I know there's really not much to do in either of those particular towns on a Friday night, so catching a high school football game may be the best option. Johnson City is by no means NYC or LA but I know there's more to do there on a Friday night then there is in Church Hill or Rogersville.

To the poster who said SH has had some years where they've won 6-7 games, yeah that's true. However, they may've won 3 the next year, 4 the year after that, and so on and so forth. There's no consistency. Fans want to see winning on a consistent basis, not just here and there. And yes, fans want to see them win the BIG games. Running over Central, Crockett, Volunteer isn't exactly something big crowds care anything about seeing. It's like seeing UT play MTSU or UT-Martin. Do the fans really care anything about seeing those games? No.

Edited by AlumnI01