Dobyns-Bennett Football

ArtVandalay

2012 should be the last time you get to beat up on the Rebels. I hope a lot of you Indians turn out for it. We could sure use some of that money. While you city folk are busy rebuilding your stadium , we could get some serious renovations done too, like resowing our field so you can have grass to play on next September.

Yeah, need that money. Attendance off a bit?

Let's predict next years attendance: 60..no 45 players x 2 parents + 80 students, grandparents and clingers on = The middle school out draws you.

Yeah, need that money. Attendance off a bit?

Let's predict next years attendance: 60..no 45 players x 2 parents + 80 students, grandparents and clingers on = The middle school out draws you.

You obviously don't know anything about our program. I bet money that J Fred on a Friday night would far surpass any other stadium on any game night. And when we travel, we usually have more fans than the home team. People stand in line for hours the night before tickets go on sale to have a chance of getting a ticket. Our tickets are sometimes bargained for in divorce heerings. We take this program serious, we just wish the coaching staff did. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!!!

You obviously don't know anything about our program. I bet money that J Fred on a Friday night would far surpass any other stadium on any game night. And when we travel, we usually have more fans than the home team. People stand in line for hours the night before tickets go on sale to have a chance of getting a ticket. Our tickets are sometimes bargained for in divorce heerings. We take this program serious, we just wish the coaching staff did. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!!!

A little touchy over here? I was replying to a South daddy concerning his failing program.

Just saw where the insightful Johnson City Press placed the Indians as the #8 team in the state for 2011 for all classifications. :roflol::popcorneater:

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/article.php?id=96423

I think DB could of been the #5 team if the season ended without a playoff. With a playoff I wouldn't put us in the top 50. Another funny thing about the artical is they put Greenville at #2 overall because of their loss of a "close" scrimmage against Maryville. Should DB be ranked ahead of Greenville because of a 3td win over Greenville in a scrimmage? Actually you couldn't put Greenville & DB together and beat Maryville in a real game. I wonder if the JC Press has ever heard of Ensworth?

Just curious, but has anyone else thought of the fact that since the city is annexing all these schools that the money might be better spent to update and renovate the schools that they are going to aquire in the coming years?

I mean as a South fan I for one know first hand of the low-budget facilities in the school. As for the field house, I've seen worse but the only reason that our fieldhouse is half-decent is becuase of boosters and fundraising.

Does anyone else agree with me on this? and please put South v. D.B. hate aside.

Also, what exactly are they planning to renovate?

Just saw where the insightful Johnson City Press placed the Indians as the #8 team in the state for 2011 for all classifications. :roflol::popcorneater:

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Sports/article.php?id=96423

That ought to please EVERY team in the state that made it past the second round! :roflolk:

Has anyone told the sports writer there he or she is NOT doing DB any favors?

Just curious, but has anyone else thought of the fact that since the city is annexing all these schools that the money might be better spent to update and renovate the schools that they are going to aquire in the coming years?

I mean as a South fan I for one know first hand of the low-budget facilities in the school. As for the field house, I've seen worse but the only reason that our fieldhouse is half-decent is becuase of boosters and fundraising.

Does anyone else agree with me on this? and please put South v. D.B. hate aside.

Also, what exactly are they planning to renovate?

Id say if the city is going to annex the schools then they will have to make improvements along the way. That is if their going to keep the schools. I think we're going to end up with two schools in the city, one 6A and one 3A. Also when DB built their fieldhouse most of the funds came from boosters and fundraising, so you will still need that. I would like to see local industry and business kick in more money toward our sports teams as well as education. They do help now, I would just like to see them get more involved. As far as your question, "what are they going to renovate?" They'll be all over the map before they deside. All that really needs to be done is renovate the press box, the bathrooms, and add concessions to the right side of the grandstands. Of cource we need proper seating on the visitors side but nobody can figure out how to do it.

Some History on J. Fred Johnson Stadium.

9 months after the attack on Pearl Harbor, on Sept. 3,1942 the Stadium had it's Grand Opening with a Concert/War Bond Sale that featured Acadamy Award Winner Greer Garson. She was a smoking hot Red Head Actress from MGM Studios and was one of the biggest female movie stars of the 40's. Kingsport was trying to sell $50,000 worth of War Bonds. If you bought a $500 Bond, you got a picture with the movie star.

8 Days later. on 9/11/42, the Football Season was opened, the first game to be played in J. Fred Johnson Stadium was a 47-0 whipping over Mountain City (today's Johnson County). DB's Defense gave up only 1 first down.

I think that ties somehow to the first game played after 9/11/2001... at Jefferson County. The Band had a halftime show that was a World War II Theme, and only 3 days after the attacks on America, the DB Band brought the entire crowd to it's feet and I doubt there was a dry eye in the stadium. It was a very emotional performance.

Roll Tribe

Edited by ArtVandalay

Thats ok, Nothing anyone can say to make us anymore of a laughing stock than we already are.

DB is NOT a program to be laughed at. It only goes to something schools west of you have been saying for years. The majority of AP voters are in East Tn. Thusly there has been a decided East Tn bias in the voting. Back when there was only 5 classes and Maryville was in 4a the one thing everyone could count on was DB was going to be #1 in the AP poll and would stay there all during the regular season.

Now we have this little poll by ONE of those AP writers that does NOT face the reality that DB chokes in the playoffs against teams not in their District. That in itself is a slap in the face of EVERY team in 5 and 6A that made it past the second round.

Art, Thank You for background on y'alls stadium. BTW who is the man it was named after?

DB is NOT a program to be laughed at. It only goes to something schools west of you have been saying for years. The majority of AP voters are in East Tn. Thusly there has been a decided East Tn bias in the voting. Back when there was only 5 classes and Maryville was in 4a the one thing everyone could count on was DB was going to be #1 in the AP poll and would stay there all during the regular season.

Now we have this little poll by ONE of those AP writers that does NOT face the reality that DB chokes in the playoffs against teams not in their District. That in itself is a slap in the face of EVERY team in 5 and 6A that made it past the second round.

Art, Thank You for background on y'alls stadium. BTW who is the man it was named after?

During the period your talking about there were at least three of those years that DB had a legit #1 rank. And any of the other years we would of been at least top 5. This is after all a regular season poll your talking about. If you go back and check the history you will find that DB has backed up their rankings(in regular season play)by beating some very good teams. As example:I think it was 2001 or 2002 when we knocked off #1 Sevier Co. at their place to take over the #1 rank that year. So we actually played for that one. Also thanks for reminding us that we choke in the playoffs. I haven't heard that one since yesterday.