Baylor vs Ensworth for State Championship

MBARED

42 members have voted

1. 1. Does Baylor or Ensworth win

I wouldn't say Ensworth is a one man team. Their defense is impressive, they have good receivers, and to say that Bowers doesn't hold a candle to Parker is pretty ignorant. He has done everything they have asked of him this season. His numbers aren't off the charts nor is his arm strength or size, but there is something to be said for his efficiency and intangibles.

I'll take Ensworth in this one, only because they lost to Baylor earlier this year. Oh, and they have a kid named Corn Elder.

When Elder was contained (except for one long TD run) in the Championship last year, Parker stepped up and was CLUTCH.

Missed that from Bowers this year. Missed some key throws and threw a pick in the red zone. But, it's a whole new ballgame now and I'm sure that won't be the case Thursday.

If both teams play to their highest potential, Baylor will win.

Depends.

Ensworth is a one man team. You saw what happened when Elder was shut down (42-14). Bowers doesn't hold a candle to Parker.

But Baylor hasn't been playing to their potential in the playoffs. Lots dumb of turnovers throughout, and tackling problems against CBHS.

It'll be a fun one.

27-24 Red Raiders

Having watched Ensworth all year, I must disagree both with your statement that Ensworth is a "one man team" and with your boorish conclusion that Andrew Bowers "doesn't hold a candle to" any quarterback in this league, either last year or this year. In 12 games so far, Elder has rushed for 2,038 yards and 21 touchdowns. Bowers has thrown for 1,705 yards with 20 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. That is a pretty balanced offense. While I do not seek to compare Andrew to anyone in particular, I think his stats (which include two games against MUS, arguably one of the best defenses in the state) speak quite highly of his ability as a qb in this league and I take issue with anyone who seeks to minimize his value to his team.

28-14 Tigers

For comparative purposes; in twelve games last year (Ensworth only had 9 regular season games due to the cancellation of a scheduled series by a North Carolina team), Drew Parker threw for 1,775 yards with 9 touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

Edited by RedRobin

Ensworth has an incredible back in Elder. He can be a game changer in less than 10 seconds. That being said, the Red Raiders managed to shut down Elder in the first meeting. This game will be a war in the trenches between two of the best crews of lineman in DII AA. After getting waxed in the first meeting, I think that the Tigers won't let that happen again. Tigers defend the gold ball.

Ensworth 27

Baylor 17

Time for this football fan to weigh in.....honestly, while I will hate it if the B team wins, I do think they will use the championship game from last year for extra motivation and beat Ensworth in a close game. However, I think Corn Elder will have a big game (hard to stop that kid twice and Bowers is too smart to let it happen). Should be a great game:

B 35 - Ensworth 31

Only way to stop Elder is for the Baylor student body to find the Ensworth bus and weld the door shut. Ricky will have a new game plan for Baylor to contend with. Hard to beat a team twice in DII, especially Ensworth.

My prediction, Baylor will shutdown Elder in the 1st half and they will go into halftime leading 17 to 7.

Baylor will feel really good about their 1st half accomplishment, but Ensworth will come out and score on a big run by Elder early because Baylor defense got relaxed and Elder will take advantage. The momentum will shift and Elder, who was shut down in the 1st half scores 3 more times, one a punt return and Baylor will lose 35 to 20.

Hey Baylor DC.......Unless you double team Elder or send 2 players after him on every play until the final whistle, he will have a big night. Don't let your guard down (MUS, BA, BGA and MBA did this year) and you might have a chance.

Again I say to Baylor DC.....You have to stop Elder to win....that is your game plan!

Edited by shakinthefat

Excellent point about the half. I have noticed that the floodgates usually open after the half with ENS, usually in the first few minutes. I don't know if ENS makes some adjustments or if the opposing team is not quite as fired up after sitting around in the cold for 15 minutes. Come out after the half at anything less than 110%, and he has the potential to put 21 points into you in a quarter. Could Baylor do it again?, absolutely as they have the defensive line to stop him at the line of scrimmage. Should be a great game, look forward to it Thursday.

Great read in the Chattanooga Times paper. Quotes from both Baylor and Ensworth for anyone interested....here is the link. http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/nov/30/baylor-has-its-dream-rematch/?sportspreps

As are all Baylor and Ensworth fans...I am so excited about this game. Can't think of a better match up in years. Both are very talented on both sides of the ball. Both are 11-1. And both have players that will take it to the next level and play college ball.

Even though Baylor beat Ensworth 42-14 earlier in the year...I, as most people do, expect a close game. The Red Raiders contained Elder to just alittle of 60 yards then. That would be very hard to do a second time. He is a great talent for sure.

I believe Baylor will win if they can stop turning the ball over as they have done throughout the playoffs. Everyone be safe traveling to the game........Go Baylor!

Baylor 24

Ensworth 17

Edited by bigred4life