One Division For State?

supereugene

I wish it was this way. No matter what the private schools say, they're the reason this was split in the 1st place (McCallie anyone??). It was nice to see all of the schools under one championship format when I was in high school. The Baylors, McCallies, & Father Ryans of the world competed with us & it made for a much more competitive state tournament. I think this crap they have now is watered down & the champions will have to deal with the question of whether or not they're really were the best in the state.

When matched up against each other in the finals (public vs private) the last 4-5 years before the split, the public schools won about 60% of the time. Obviously teams like Baylor & FR were at the top of the food chain in private school division, but the public schools like Overton, Cleveland, Bradley Central, Red Bank, & Soddy Daisy flip-flopped being the top public school programs. Now, we won't get to see great rivalries that took part at state like Red Bank-Father Ryan or Bradley Central-Baylor anymore. Seeing matches like Brian Provezano (Red Bank) vs Kevin Baltz (Father Ryan) in the finals where both crowds despised each other will never happen again & it's a darn shame...

Regardless, Tennessee wrestling will always been seen as inferior amongst other states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, & even Georgia as they have a better format for determinng their champions than our messed up format we have now.

Edited by JSamson7

I wish it was this way. No matter what the private schools say, they're the reason this was split in the 1st place (McCallie anyone??). It was nice to see all of the schools under one championship format when I was in high school. The Baylors, McCallies, & Father Ryans of the world competed with us & it made for a much more competitive state tournament. I think this crap they have now is watered down & the champions will have to deal with the question of whether or not they're really were the best in the state.

When matched up against each other in the finals (public vs private) the last 4-5 years before the split, the public schools won about 60% of the time. Obviously teams like Baylor & FR were at the top of the food chain in private school division, but the public schools like Overton, Cleveland, Bradley Central, Red Bank, & Soddy Daisy flip-flopped being the top public school programs. Now, we won't get to see great rivalries that took part at state like Red Bank-Father Ryan or Bradley Central-Baylor anymore. Seeing matches like Brian Provezano (Red Bank) vs Kevin Baltz (Father Ryan) in the finals where both crowds despised each other will never happen again & it's a darn shame...

Regardless, Tennessee wrestling will always been seen as inferior amongst other states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, & even Georgia as they have a better format for determinng their champions than our messed up format we have now.

What other format are you referring too? All the states you mentioned have multiple divisions and multiple state champions. Georgia has 5 different classifications and a chapion for each. TN is seen as inferior to them, i agree, but i dont believe it is because of any tournament format to decide state champions. It is because of participation that starts at an early age and sticks thru high school.

What other format are you referring too? All the states you mentioned have multiple divisions and multiple state champions. Georgia has 5 different classifications and a chapion for each. TN is seen as inferior to them, i agree, but i dont believe it is because of any tournament format to decide state champions. It is because of participation that starts at an early age and sticks thru high school.

I agree I dont know what all the complaining is about. Big deal we have 2 champions, other states Mich, Ohio, Penn have up to 5-6 champions per weight class. It does not water anything down it is still very competetive. If Tenn wants to be a big boy in wrestling they need to start early (which a lot of wrestlers and club teams are doing) and more middle school and high school coaches (especailly football) need to push their athletes into wrestling.

I think it is highly unlikely that TN will ever return to one division. The idea that one division or multiple divisions is what makes a state inferior or superior is flawed. A state will gain more respect based on it's national presence. Schools that compete against the top programs in the country and win will be what puts Tennessee on the map. The more some of the Tennessee schools begin to model programs like Collins Hill, Christiansburg, and Brandon, the more the state and the southeast will gain respect. Tournaments like the Cleveland Duals, McCallie Inv. to name two and schools attending the Collins Hill tournament will have a huge impact on wrestling in Tennessee. We are beginning to see more of the top programs in our state traveling out of state to compete against nationally ranked teams and hold their own. It is very exciting to see TN kids wrestling in Missouri, Ohio, Minnesota, and at Collins Hill against national powerhouses. These tournaments and outstanding summer programs put these young men in a position to be seen by college coaches and to gain valuable skills.

I think it is highly unlikely that TN will ever return to one division. The idea that one division or multiple divisions is what makes a state inferior or superior is flawed. A state will gain more respect based on it's national presence. Schools that compete against the top programs in the country and win will be what puts Tennessee on the map. The more some of the Tennessee schools begin to model programs like Collins Hill, Christiansburg, and Brandon, the more the state and the southeast will gain respect. Tournaments like the Cleveland Duals, McCallie Inv. to name two and schools attending the Collins Hill tournament will have a huge impact on wrestling in Tennessee. We are beginning to see more of the top programs in our state traveling out of state to compete against nationally ranked teams and hold their own. It is very exciting to see TN kids wrestling in Missouri, Ohio, Minnesota, and at Collins Hill against national powerhouses. These tournaments and outstanding summer programs put these young men in a position to be seen by college coaches and to gain valuable skills.

Absolutely agree!

Heard from a very reliable source that there may be a "small school" individual state championship added next year. Anyone else hearing this?

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening in the near future, for reasons already stated in this thread. What we need to be concerned with is the East Literature coachs' insistence on splitting the D1 into 2 divisions(a 24 man big school and 12 man small school state). The coaches voted 24-12 (or somewhere around there) against. HOWEVER, the word is the coach will attempt to take a back road approach and have his principal try to push it through. There is no guarantee that the administrators will follow the coaches advice. It appears there are many small schools that actually want a state tournament similar to D2. Go 1-2 and medal. It's conceivable that we could have a region with Hixson, Central, Notre Dame and Red Bank and have only one person from each weight class qualify. You could have the 4 best kids in the state in one region and have only one qualify for the state.

I agree russianbear, I think the only way this will ever happen is for the AAA tournament remain a 32 man bracket and for whatever reason the TSSAA won't consider an AA-A split unless the AAA goes to a 24 man bracket. I just don't see this happening. So rcpatriot I have not heard this and doubt it will happen. Unless the TSSAA allows the AAA to stay at a 32 man bracket. I was told that the coaches voted againt the current proposal for the split at the state tournament.

Edited by csemary

Absolutely agree!

Heard from a very reliable source that there may be a "small school" individual state championship added next year. Anyone else hearing this?

Haven't heard it, but now would be a bad time to argue a need for it considering 7 if the D1 finalists and 3 state champions were from small schools. That is a pretty good showing.

Not to mention the transfers that would be lost from the small schools to the AAA school controversy.

Edited by baller95

You are absolutely right that the way to develop a national caliber program is to compete with top teams from around the country. However, the TSSAA makes that hard to do with its travel restrictions. One trip outside whatever the radus limit is makes it difficult to strenghthen a schedule.

What matches?

How about these...120 Jacob Stevens vs. Adam Connell, 132 Campbell Lewis vs. Brandon Brunner, 138 Austin Woods vs. Alex Ward or Marchetti, 145 Grayson Mullin vs. Kaleb Baker, 152 Parker Smith vs. Matthew Cate, 170 McCoy Newberg vs. Michael Hooker—might have already happened twice, but I would like to see again, 182 John Shrader vs. TJ Holmes, 285 Patrick Benson vs. Ty Youngblood. All great wrestlers, everyone has their own opinion on who wins. I don’t care, but would love to sit back and just watch these. There would also have be some great qtr and semi-final matches. Well worth the cost of admission.