Springfield Yellow Jackets 2012

OldJacketFan

Was talking to a few buddies and discovered that Coach Carnell, Coach Porter, and Coach Southerland are not coming back next season with our Yellow Jackets. Will drop by tomorrow to talk to Coach Southerland, but heard he interviewed at West Creek a week ago and Clarksville Academy. Word is that he is going to try to teach and coach at one of these schools in Clarksville. Coach Porter from what I have understood is moving to Clarksville, and Coach Carnell is focusing on his teaching position and coaching wrestling. These are three good coaches that are leaving, so how will the Yellow Jackets look in the fall. Also heard Coach Fite is possibly going to transfer to Hillsboro, and if anyone knows please fill us in. Last is Coach Campbell! Word around the school is that he is going into administration. So what coaches are coming in to fill these gentlemen's spots on our staff.

I believe we are loaded with seniors, but how will the team take the absence of these great individuals on our staff? Good luck to Porter and Southerland, and if coach reads this we will stop by tomorrow and drop off the grandson to talk with you.

Best of luck filling all those positions. It will be a transition no doubt, but from the sound of it, you all have a ton of seniors back next year. I'm sure there are at least a handful of leaders in that bunch who could, if anything, help smooth the transition a little bit (especially if most of the system is held in place). If those kids stick with it 2012 can still be an improvement/positive year for the Yellow Jackets.

Good luck this season.

Also, what position on Springfield's staff did Coach Southerland hold? I've heard his name mentioned several times by the Yellow Jacket faithful.

Springfield is a good place to work, but sometimes it is better being closer to home. West Creek has choose to go another direction, and Clarksville Academy has not offered me a position. However, if given the opportunity to work closer to home I will accept. I love Springfield, the community, and have enjoyed coaching defensive ends, special teams, and help where it is asked of me. At the end of the day my heart is missing home, and being closer to my family and not driving an hour to and from work has been a big factor in my choice to reach out and interview in Montgomery County. There is no definate decision at this moment, and if I do accept a position in Montgomery County I only wish the best for the Springfield Community and football program. As any choice in life, this is going to be a tough decision that I will make with help from my wife. In the end home is where the heart is, and I am truly missing home.

• Upvote 1

Redwarrior I see a 7-3 or an 8-2 year. Round 2 or 3 in the playoffs. However, as I watched the 5A state title, 3 big plays can make the difference between State Champs or Runner Ups! The plays I think were key to the game were electing to not kick the first field goal, Powell's hold on Mobley's TD that was negated, and the biggest play of the game to kick for the win. When you have athletes you can surpise anyone.

I wish Coach Southerland the best. My grandson thinks the world of this man. Any man that can teach elementary school, know all the students names, and always greats everyone is a great man. Plus he is a heck of a coach that is going to be missed here at Springfield. I confirmed what I feared, after talking to coach he let me know that it is time to move back to Clarksville. He is looking to interview at Clarksville Academy and an elementary school in Clarksville.

I did not know that we will also miss Coaches Porter, Carneal, and maybe 1 more! Who are we looking to replace these great young men, and how is the team looking?

What a disgrace for the SHS football program, in the firing of Kelly Meyers as head coach. Our so-called principal wants to go in another direction. Coach Meyers brought our program up so much from where it was, it is unbelievable that this could happen. "Dr." Justin Grimes can appear on TV at half time of this years Clarksville game and speak of the football tradition at SHS on this the 100th year, but was nowhere to be found at an alumni dinner honoring former players this fall. The people of Springfield deserve better than this, I have heard nothing but negative remarks about our so-called principal, I think thats where SHS needs to go in another direction, he is a dis-grace to SHS. This smells of politics, and as usual Springfield gets the shaft, we got the principal no one else wanted and now he will set our school back. Thanks Coach Meyers for all your hard work in making SHS football revelant again , you deserved better and so do the Springfield community.

What a disgrace for the SHS football program, in the firing of Kelly Meyers as head coach. Our so-called principal wants to go in another direction. Coach Meyers brought our program up so much from where it was, it is unbelievable that this could happen. "Dr." Justin Grimes can appear on TV at half time of this years Clarksville game and speak of the football tradition at SHS on this the 100th year, but was nowhere to be found at an alumni dinner honoring former players this fall. The people of Springfield deserve better than this, I have heard nothing but negative remarks about our so-callewered principal, I think thats where SHS needs to go in another direction, he is a dis-grace to SHS. This smells of politics, and as usual Springfield gets the shaft, we got the principal no one else wanted and now he will set our school back. Thanks Coach Meyers for all your hard work in making SHS football revelant again , you deserved better and so do the Springfield community.

I totally agree with Leon. Coach Myers brought the tradition back to our program, and instilled discipline into our team. The upcoming season was poised to be the best yet in the Myers regime. I will not speculate as to why the change was made. I know there will be many who disagree with the decision. Include me in that group! I do not know who our principal has in mind to be our next head coach, but that person will have to bring in a whole new staff. The promising season Jacket fans were so looking forward too may not turn out how we had hoped. How about, in the future, school administrators administrate, and support their coaches and let them coach!! Good luck to Coach Myers, Fite, and the rest of the staff in the future.