Springfield Yellow Jackets 2012

OldJacketFan

I too think Coach Wilson will do a great job at Springfield. Here are a couple of reasons I think this was a good hire:

1. He is a Springfield grad and understands the tradition and history of Springfield football.

2. He knows the game of football. He played linebacker at APSU, and is in the top ten for career tackles. He will run whatever system that will give his players the best chance to succeed.

3. He knows how to coach players up. No disrespect to CMS, but the halls are not exactly crawling with huge linemen and speedsters. Yet he was able to coach the players he was given and always finished near the top in the county.

4. He is loyal. He started the program at CMS, and stayed there until he was hired by SHS. He has had opportunities to move to the high school level, but has chosen to stay at CMS. He will be at SHS for the longhall.

5. He knows how to build a program, and build community support and not just coach a football team. He will continue to bring the pride back to Jacket football.

6. This is not a shocking hire to people who know football in Robertson County, he was a finalist when they hired Coach Meyers 3 years ago, and would be at the top of the list for several other schools if they needed a coach.

7. He is single, and will devote all of his time to building the program. It would be impossible to count the number of hours he has dedicated to CMS, not just the football team, but the entire school. You will not outwork Coach Wilson. He may or may not have a learning curve adjusting to the 5A football, but he will adjust quickly.

Good luck to Coach Wilson and his staff!

Wing t offense??????does anyone else think that kids will stop coming out . one reason more kids were coming out to play is b/c the team was exciting to watch and play on, they see the big pass plays and want to be a part. Just seems like that offense would help contain our speed instead of spreading the field and getting them in space and making plays. We could have used a little more power run game the past few years but doing away with the passing offense...not good . Hope we run a more balanced offense, than ball control and get lucky to score/play for the tie............wing t

Edited by yellowswarm

Why do people think you can't pass out of a wing t? It is just like any other offense, you need balance. I went to Goodpasture, they run the deleware wing t. Believe me they can pass the ball out if it. Pat Turner was Mr. Football winner and played WR at Southern Cal. The team won 3 gold balls, and about 5 silvers with the wing t.

Hillsboro ran it, when they were beating everybody. Mount Juliet and Riverdale are some others that have had success.

Why do people think you can't pass out of a wing t? It is just like any other offense, you need balance. I went to Goodpasture, they run the deleware wing t. Believe me they can pass the ball out if it. Pat Turner was Mr. Football winner and played WR at Southern Cal. The team won 3 gold balls, and about 5 silvers with the wing t.

Hillsboro ran it, when they were beating everybody. Mount Juliet and Riverdale are some others that have had success.

There are different variations of the wing-t these days that like you point out, put more emphasis on the pass. The wing-t uses speed/deception in the running game and if you have multiple fast/quick players then it can work. We do not know if this is the offense that will be run, but if it is, I can live w/ it.....

Personally we do not care if they line up in double tight smoke stack or power I. We just hope the boys are disciplined and ready to produce on the field. The wing t can be fun to watch if ran correctly.

How is practice looking? No one is saying much, but sure hope that Coach Wilson and his staff are molding a good team. Saw that Darden the Basketball Coach is leaving too. So maybe it is the Administrations way of cleaning house and rebuilding tradition at Springfield. I say give coach a chance to prove himself in a very tough region.

Personally we do not care if they line up in double tight smoke stack or power I. We just hope the boys are disciplined and ready to produce on the field. The wing t can be fun to watch .

Producing on the field hasn't been an issue,That I know of. Had the best three year stretch of yellow jacket football that we've had since............. What 91,92,93. sounds like you forgot about 3 straight playoff appearances. And thinking about the 15 seasons before coach myers. There where a few good seasons in there but not as many as it shouldve been. Hope the jackets do well no matter what. Coach Wilson is coming into a lot better situation than the last coach did and don't think there is a need for a drastic change offensively .

Tell ya what...if y'all don't support him and the players don't 'buy-in' to Dustin Wilson, PLEASE, send him down the road to our place (Greenbrier). We would LOVE to have him back!!! First off, he's no-nonsense. Secondly, he's young, but old school...i.e., he demands discipline and respect. He coaches the game the way it should be coached and demands that his players do the same (play it the way it should be played).

Good luck and God bless, Coach. I'm glad you finally got this opportunity. In my opinion, you deserve it. :thumb:

My prediction..... Principal gets fired after next year. Successful football coach let go for no reason. Basketball coach hangs it up after 20 years. The football stadium has been packed the past 3 years and probably will be again for the first game or so, then it will go bad.... real bad... . The community is not happy with this current Principal. Maybe the new coach and his new team will prove me wrong?

I hope they do prove us wrong. I thought coach Myers deserved another year,and IMO this was a bad move.

I can agree that getting rid of Coach Myers was a bad move but the hiring of Coach Wilson was not. Despite the faults in the leadership of the school/community they inadvertently got that 1 right. Coach Wilson will work his tail off and coach those boys up. The important thing being, he genuinely cares about the welfare of that program and it will eventually show, hopefully sooner than later.....