Infield fly rule

ibball44

Wasn't there, so I can't say for sure what happened. But with one out and runners at 1st and 2nd, I would assume the infield was deep. And if 2nd was holding the runner on, then he would be running back to his normal posistion once the pitcher started his motion, so his momentum would be taking him away from the infield.. so with that situation, it is concievable that a ball hit between the pitcher and 2nd could not be caught easily.

Where the umpire crew messed up is where they weren't sure if the 3rd baseman pulled off or not. Cause the infield fly rule is a judgement call. The umpire must make a judgement if the ball was catchable. I would imagine since the field ump was in the C posistion, he should have had the call. But the two umpire should have clearly communicated before the pitch who was covering which bag.. Umpires make mistakes too. It just really sucks when those mistakes happen at the most inoppertune time.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the East Hamilton-Notre Dame game, it was the 9th inning, men on 1st and 2nd, one out. Ball popped up not very high between second base and pitcher's mound. Pitcher did not know where the ball was, and 2nd and short didn't have a play on the ball. Ball hits turf, infielder picks ball up and fires to third. Field umpire, not having called infield fly rule, calls out the runner advancing to third on a force. East Hamilton head coach Garland goes ballistic, not arguing that the infield fly rule was in effect, but that the third baseman pulled his foot off the bag. Field umpire tells him that the third baseman had his foot on the bag and head coach discuss this for awhile with head coach making the international sign for "He pulled his foot off the bag." Finally, plate umpire (who never made a call at all) strolls out, discusses with the field umpire and they decide that the runner advancing to third is safe, but the runner going to first is out on the infield fly rule call. Home plate umpire then says that he made the infield fly call, which he didn't. No player, coach or his umpire partner heard him do so. Thoughts?

If the umpires fail to declare an infield fly, the batter is out. The out is determined by the rule and not by an umpire’s call or lack thereof. The rest of the play would then stand unless a double play occurs. The umpires would then use their authority to rectify the situation NFHS 10-2-3g, NCAA 3-6b, MLB 9.01c).

Although these umps screwed the pooch, they got the call right. Whether they called the infield fly or not it is still an infield fly and the batter is out. The runner @ 2nd advanced at this own risk and it is not a force. Therefore, unless he was tagged he was safe. Again, umpires messed it up but got it right.

I know this rule fairly well because it happened to me in a middle school game. After a lengthy heated discussion we played on and I researched later because I knew the umps we were wrong. To my surprise they were not, I was. Can you say eat crow. Don't think it's the right call but it is.

If the umpires fail to declare an infield fly, the batter is out. The out is determined by the rule and not by an umpire’s call or lack thereof. The rest of the play would then stand unless a double play occurs. The umpires would then use their authority to rectify the situation NFHS 10-2-3g, NCAA 3-6b, MLB 9.01c).

Although these umps screwed the pooch, they got the call right. Whether they called the infield fly or not it is still an infield fly and the batter is out. The runner @ 2nd advanced at this own risk and it is not a force. Therefore, unless he was tagged he was safe. Again, umpires messed it up but got it right.

I know this rule fairly well because it happened to me in a middle school game. After a lengthy heated discussion we played on and I researched later because I knew the umps we were wrong. To my surprise they were not, I was. Can you say eat crow. Don't think it's the right call but it is.

It has been a while since I read a rule book but this is what I remembered. As I said in an earlier post, their mechanics were ugly but they got it to the right place.

It has been a while since I read a rule book but this is what I remembered. As I said in an earlier post, their mechanics were ugly but they got it to the right place.

Batters swing and miss. Pitchers throw wild pitches. Shortstops boot ground balls. Umpires kick calls.

Other night in Florida a crew kicked one. Getting this second hand....

Infield Fly Rule again. Bases Loaded. 1 Out - popup behind first - second baseman camped - Infield Fly is called - he drops it and then kicks it so everyone takes off - he runs down ball and throws to second - runner slides - shortstop stretches - out is called - umpires forgot force was not in effect and refused to reverse the call...

As a former umpire let me interject my thoughts, please?

Even if the umpires did NOT signal or verbalize the call, it is the players' and coaches' responsibility to know the situation. Yes; the call should have been made IF the blues were going to change their call later, perhaps. However, as it stands, let us say they made the "right call"; the batter was out and the runners advanced at their own risk, therefore the force play was not in effect as the batter was deemed out. Soft liners and bloopers are usually not called as infield flies as neither are bunted balls. Also, let me now say that even though I said bloopers and soft liners are usually not called, it is totally almost the umpires' discretion; especially when trying to determine if the ball could have 'routinely" caught by a fielder.

Apologies for the long-winded dissertation.

You are correct. I was taught to point into the air and YELL, "Infield fly. Batter is out!" I never had a situation where I couldn't do that BEFORE the ball was within 15 feet of the ground.

I don't know what they do now but where I was, when there was an infield fly rule situation, the home plate umpire would step in front of home plate facing second base and fold his arm across his chest so the base umpire would know he recognized the situation. If home plate umpire didn't do this, the base umpire would get his attention and fold his arm across his chest. It is easy to miss having that situation so if either one recognizes it, it gets communicated. Suspect that didn't happen in this case and it "snuck up on them".

Not good for the umpire to step in front of the plate. What if bases are loaded and R3 tries to score on a drop?

There are some crazy scenarios with the infield fly rule. There is also a possibility (though highly unlikely) of having a triple play with NOONE catching a ball when runners are on 1st and 2nd while using the infield fly rule. Anyone like to tell how??

well no one took a guess at this crazy scenario so here is the answer... 1) batter hits a towering infield fly toward the shortstop and umpire calls infield fly so batter is out. 2) during this process, the runner on first takes off on contact while running at his own risk and passes up the runner on second....so now the runner on first is the second out 3) through all this confusion the runner on second is off the base and the ball hits him in the head...out #3. Triple play with noone catching the baseball.

Baseball is a great game, however, this is just an example of many crazy things that could happen during a baseball game (though highly unlikely).