GREENBACK FOOTBALL

Vols1234

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a football topic, but I thought the Baseball Coach did a good job with what he had. Very nice guy, not sure what kind of a teacher he was.

I find it hard to believe there will be people banging down the door to coach baseball at GB. The kids always played hard. Facility needs a TON of work, gonna be tough to find somebody. Not to mention, I believe he was an alumni as well.

Just sad you have people from that community coming back to their Alma mater and trying to make a difference, and they are told they are not wanted.

Hope the new principal knows what she is doing!!

I know this is a football topic, but I thought the Baseball Coach did a good job with what he had. Very nice guy, not sure what kind of a teacher he was.

I find it hard to believe there will be people banging down the door to coach baseball at GB. The kids always played hard. Facility needs a TON of work, gonna be tough to find somebody. Not to mention, I believe he was an alumni as well.

Just sad you have people from that community coming back to their Alma mater and trying to make a difference, and they are told they are not wanted.

Hope the new principal knows what she is doing!!

They coach was a heck of a guy. The facilities are awful your right, greenback needs to put some money into that program ,cant all be football. If greenback can find someone good to come in here that knows the game well , i think greenback could have a very solid program and the community would take pride in there baseball program as well.

O&B lets get an update what happened at the scrimmage? Chemo?

First of all let me say this Union county coaches and players were top notch!Very respectful players and very positive coaches.Now the scrimmage,score was something like 8 or 9 tds to two on our third and second string.1st team didnt play much at all scored everytime we had the ball,defence gave up one first down and the kid was actually out of bounds but the refs were very lenient and that was totally fine,Union played extremely hard the whole time could have given up but didnt.offensive line controlled from the start couldnt tell how many yrds they came quick and often,QBs looked better than i expected,no int's and made some very good throws and Anderson ran the ball very good.McCloud the sophomore ran very hard and threw the ball well.Seymour was seymour had a ton of yards.Defense played well but have to be a little more physical,D-line controlled the line of scrimmage.The weight room has payed dividends kids are big and strong.Still have alot of work to do to be were we need to be when real football starts.Will get a better look next week against Chatt grace,Union is not a very good football team.Orange and Black game is 6pm on fri the 18th.

Didn't the Girls Basketball coach lead Greenback to a state title in 1987?

Ken Dunlap coached the girls to the 1987 championship after Ken Byrd coached them to a runner-up finish in 1986. But Eddie did coach a few girls teams to the state tournament, and he is also the only coach to take the boys to the sub-state (1985 & 2008).

Ken Dunlap coached the girls to the 1987 championship after Ken Byrd coached them to a runner-up finish in 1986. But Eddie did coach a few girls teams to the state tournament, and he is also the only coach to take the boys to the sub-state (1985 & 2008).

Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

Kenny was a WB Graduate. He played on a pretty good WB team back in the early 80's. Transferred from West. I think he is at Powell High School now. There was a Ken Byrd who coached a couple of sports at Friendsville before it was closed. I think he was at WB for awhile.

How are the 'Kees looking in summer workouts. I talked to one of the LB's the other day when we were fishing at Danny's pond. :thumb:

Edited by Red Rebels

Kenny was a WB Graduate. He played on a pretty good WB team back in the early 80's. Transferred from West. I think he is at Powell High School now. There was a Ken Byrd who coached a couple of sports at Friendsville before it was closed. I think he was at WB for awhile.

How are the 'Kees looking in summer workouts. I talked to one of the LB's the other day when we were fishing at Danny's pond. :thumb:

RR, from all appearances the young men from extreme "southern blount county" have solved the QB issue and are looking for a deep run into November and if the injury bug can be avoided they have a shot at playing in December.

Look for the offense to be very balanced as far as run/pass goes with many weapons from which to choose. Last year the Cherokees started as many as 4 sophs at one time on the O line and all are back and should be healthy to start the season and have absolutely been beating the door off of the newly renovated weight room. Coach Ridge along with Coach Hicks and Newly acquired Coach Gaskin bring a lot of intensity to the table that these kids really respond to and appreciate. As we know single a football can hinge on injury way more so than bigger schools and that is true again this year with the Cherokees but maybe not as much as in the past. I've heard this described as iron man football and that is a good description some of the kids only come off the field on special teams and its tough to stay focused for an entire game but they should be deep enough this year to provide some fresh leggs when needed without a drop off in talent level.

As always go Rebels,Cherokees and now that mine has graduated and moved on Go Scots!!

RR, from all appearances the young men from extreme "southern blount county" have solved the QB issue and are looking for a deep run into November and if the injury bug can be avoided they have a shot at playing in December.

Look for the offense to be very balanced as far as run/pass goes with many weapons from which to choose. Last year the Cherokees started as many as 4 sophs at one time on the O line and all are back and should be healthy to start the season and have absolutely been beating the door off of the newly renovated weight room. Coach Ridge along with Coach Hicks and Newly acquired Coach Gaskin bring a lot of intensity to the table that these kids really respond to and appreciate. As we know single a football can hinge on injury way more so than bigger schools and that is true again this year with the Cherokees but maybe not as much as in the past. I've heard this described as iron man football and that is a good description some of the kids only come off the field on special teams and its tough to stay focused for an entire game but they should be deep enough this year to provide some fresh leggs when needed without a drop off in talent level.

As always go Rebels,Cherokees and now that mine has graduated and moved on Go Scots!!

Boy Matback wish i could tickle the keyboard as well as you!HaHa,any way spring went as suspected boys played hard in the scrimmages and practiced well for the most part(it is spring),QBs played well both of them very surprising at times.We also have some younger kids that will take some of the pressure off of seymour, anderson a tailback will be a sophomore had an exceptional spring.Offensive line is stronger and bigger and quicker and for the most part should be the deepest part of the team.Union county scrimmage was pretty much a jv game,they were just not very good.Grace out of Chatt has some nice athletes and as the scrimmage went along seemed to play a little better.GB scored 3 out of the first 7 times they touched the ball and won the scrimmage varsity wise i believe 5-1.We got to see what we need to work on and the kids as you say have been eating the weights since Jan.Hopefully we can stay healthy that will be the key.As you know i will always be pulling for Matback jr up the rd in maryville!