Did Everett HS in Maryville....

SweetScience

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever win anything significant? Just curious?

Other than a couple of good drag racing students, I think they were better known for basketball - both boys and girls.

I called an old everett grad and asked him. He answered with a question - Has anybody from any schools in blount county ever won anything, including alcoa and murvil. :roflol:

Other than a couple of good drag racing students, I think they were better known for basketball - both boys and girls.

I called an old everett grad and asked him. He answered with a question - Has anybody from any schools in blount county ever won anything, including alcoa and murvil. :roflol:

Sounds like he is up to date on things LOL

Ever win anything significant? Just curious?

They beat Maryville a few times & from what I'm told by my mom (she graduated from there in '74) was that Everett wasn't a good team on a regular basis. They had some years when they were good every now & then, but never any real consistent success.

Bobby Nick, Judge Brewer, & Avron Cosby are some of the stars Everett had who made some noise back in the mid 70's though. I'm sure a few people in Blount County will recognize those names.

• 2 weeks later...

They were pretty good at rassalin' (That was for SNB) back in the 60's with a couple of individual state champions.

Wrestling 1964 145 Weight Class Champion Dough(sic) Overly

Wrestling 1961 119 Weight Class Champion Roy Wilson

Girls Basketball was pretty good too.

Girls Basketball 1977 Class AAA Team Runner-Up 46-57 Murfreesboro

Girls Basketball 1968 Team Runner-Up 64-73 Jackson

NOTE: The TSSAA WEBSITE has the records for Everett High School in Maryville, TN listed incorrectly. Wrestling is under "EVERETT".

The records for girls basketball is under "MARYVILLE EVERETT".

I sent sent the TSSAA webmaster an email to try and get this consolidated into one record. He never responded to my email even though this is posted on the TSSAA WEBSITE:

"If you find an error in any of the state records, please contact Matthew Gillespie (mgillespie@tssaa.org or at 615-889-6740)."

I told him my source of information was my in-laws Everett Yearbooks.

I believe the spelling is wrong on Overly. I should be Doug.

I am not sure about this part, but I believe that Everett had, at one time, beaten Maryville more than any other school in football. That title now goes to Alcoa. :ph34r:

Edited by Red Rebels

They were pretty good at rassalin' (That was for SNB) back in the 60's with a couple of individual state champions.

Girls Basketball was pretty good too.

Girls Basketball 1977 Class AAA Team Runner-Up 46-57 Murfreesboro

Girls Basketball 1968 Team Runner-Up 64-73 Jackson

NOTE: The TSSAA WEBSITE has the records for Everett High School in Maryville, TN listed incorrectly. Wrestling is under "EVERETT".

The records for girls basketball is under "MARYVILLE EVERETT".

I sent sent the TSSAA webmaster an email to try and get this consolidated into one record. He never responded to my email even though this is posted on the TSSAA WEBSITE:

"If you find an error in any of the state records, please contact Matthew Gillespie (mgillespie@tssaa.org or at 615-889-6740)."

I told him my source of information was my in-laws Everett Yearbooks.

I believe the spelling is wrong on Overly. I should be Doug.

I am not sure about this part, but I believe that Everett had, at one time, beaten Maryville more than any other school in football. That title now goes to Alcoa. :ph34r:

Wow, pretty neat facts. Thanks RR.

RR.....Tha ain't nuthin' like good rasslin'.....Did enny ov tham Bulldawg rasslurs evur maik hit intwo that bigtime???...Ewe nose like tha undercard ovur at tha old Amory fer maybee Barecat Brown, Leapin Lanny, Corseeca Jo, Crybaybee Cannon and tha Fabylus Kangroos, Less and Whitey,.....orr last butt certunlee knott leest... Tha King ov Kingport and lil bruvver Donnie????????????.............. :popcorneater:

• 1 month later...

I remember the last Everett vs Maryville football game in 1976. My brothers played for Maryville then. Maryville won 21-10. What I remember the most from that game is the fight. One of their players started a fight with Danny Spradlin. Spradlin was beating the crap out of that guy. Another Everett guy jumped Spradlin from behind. What is funny is the guy who jumped Spradlin from behind had a son who played for Maryville last year.

Everett was known more for basketball. Kenny Teffeteller was a gunner who played for the Vols in the late 70s.

I remember the last Everett vs Maryville football game in 1976. My brothers played for Maryville then. Maryville won 21-10. What I remember the most from that game is the fight. One of their players started a fight with Danny Spradlin. Spradlin was beating the crap out of that guy. Another Everett guy jumped Spradlin from behind. What is funny is the guy who jumped Spradlin from behind had a son who played for Maryville last year.

Everett was known more for basketball. Kenny Teffeteller was a gunner who played for the Vols in the late 70s.

Ha, good story. What about Porter HS? They ever win anything?

Ha, good story. What about Porter HS? They ever win anything?

Porter was a girls basketball powerhouse.

Coach Galen Johnson just passed away this week.

This excerpt from The Knoxville News-Sentinel

He then arrived at Porter in 1955 as a guidance counselor, boys' and girls' basketball coach, and football assistant. At the time, Porter was a small school with an equally limited reputation for girls' basketball, but Johnson quickly built the school into a state power.

He won girls' state championships in 1959, 1963 and 1967, usually playing larger schools in the pre-classification days. His teams were also state tournament runners-up in 1969 and 1978 and finished third in 1964 and 1971.

Mr. Johnson won a total of 1,012 games at all levels of basketball coaching at Porter, and his record as coach of the Porter girls' teams was 735-167.

His teams were so dominant that they set a national high school record for winning 20 or more games for 24 consecutive seasons, averaging 28.5 wins a year during that stretch.