Reclassification

fblover

No, the schools that are forced to use a 1.8X multiplier are significanty smaller than their non multiplier district counterpart. We have a case where a school with an enrollment of 630 students is forced to compete in a distrct with school enrollments up to 2000 students due to this crazy rule. The numbers just don't add up. Staistics have proven, for obvoius reasons, that the injury rates are much higher for the smaller schools. The reason we have different classifications in High School is to equal things out. Schools of the same size typically have about the same amount of depth. Size does matter. I'm still trying to figure out why a team with 650 students (approx. 325 boys) sould have to schedule a school with an enrollment of 2000 students (approx. 1000 boys). Sure I'm whining, but I've seen some pretty serious injuries over the last 3 years. Someone please try to sell me on the TSSAA logic. I thought they were smart enough to realize that this joke of a multiplier (HIGHEST IN THE NATION) was not working...Guess I was wrong.

The multiplier was started because of the private schools dominating the competition in the small classes in most sports. For a relatively small number of schools, they were clearly winning at a much higher rate than their public school counterparts. That's not just state titles even though that's what drove things. A small multiplier would not move up many teams.

Even with the multiplier now you have teams like CPA in boys and girls basketball, football, Goodpasture in baseball, softball, football, several more examples of dominating programs. I think those programs do get more competitive games on the average than they'd have in Class A especially with Alcoa in football, the Memphis schools in basketball, others. Knoxville Catholic looks like an "odd man out" having to play the large Class AAA schools around Knoxville but Goodpasture, CPA are doing well against schools with 1,000+ enrollment. If you make a change like a multiplier, or any other major difference, there will always be a few to have it tougher.

Again, Division II is an option for them. Unless you think schools like Baylor and Brentwood Academy are flat out recruiting there's no reason why Catholic shouldn't be competitive as they're similar sized or smaller. Financial aid is supposed to be "need based" not on 40-time or max in the squat.

Indian, I hear you. At one time Catholic was in DII. The travel was realy tough. Getting back to Knoxville from Chattanooga or Nashville at 1 a.m. on a Tuesday night after a baseball or basketball game is a hard on the student athlete. It was an option that wasn't even considered this go 'round. If I'm not mistaken, the Baylor's, Brentwood Academy and Webb's of the world CAN recruit and give scholorship money because they are in the Private school division. I know that Webb recruits and pays tuition money. Which is perfectly legal in their division. I'm not sure that Catholic has the resources to compete in that market if they were to go back to private school division. Could be wrong. I'm without a doubt whining about what went down today. Since 2010 we've been hoping to get back to a more competitve division, where at the beginning of each season, we actually thought we could advance from our district. You know, it's a tough pill to swallow, but we'll have to deal with it for at least

another 4 years. Thanks for your input. Whining in Knoxville.

If Webb recruits (and whether they do or not that's unlikely to be proven) they're breaking the TSSAA rules. Aid is supposed to be need-based and available whether a student is an athlete or not. It does seem like Brentwood Academy has a high number of Division I athletes to have fewer than 500 students. Division II travel isn't reasonable now but with a total split it would be in a small class and mid-level class.

The multiplier was started because of the private schools dominating the competition in the small classes in most sports. For a relatively small number of schools, they were clearly winning at a much higher rate than their public school counterparts. That's not just state titles even though that's what drove things. A small multiplier would not move up many teams.

Even with the multiplier now you have teams like CPA in boys and girls basketball, football, Goodpasture in baseball, softball, football, several more examples of dominating programs. I think those programs do get more competitive games on the average than they'd have in Class A especially with Alcoa in football, the Memphis schools in basketball, others. Knoxville Catholic looks like an "odd man out" having to play the large Class AAA schools around Knoxville but Goodpasture, CPA are doing well against schools with 1,000+ enrollment. If you make a change like a multiplier, or any other major difference, there will always be a few to have it tougher.

Again, Division II is an option for them. Unless you think schools like Baylor and Brentwood Academy are flat out recruiting there's no reason why Catholic shouldn't be competitive as they're similar sized or smaller. Financial aid is supposed to be "need based" not on 40-time or max in the squat.

The 'multiplier' like the SPLIT came about because Rankin could not beat BA with all the talent they were recruiting. Also they were better than HIS recruits.

As to it staying the same.....it is NO surprise. The T$$AA will cry all the way to the bank, AFTER they come back from their paid by us vacat.......ah.......conferences.

Bad Plan (Z or 6 classes) and they voted it back in......unreal

“We had played 16 years with a system we know works,†Childress said following the meeting. “We’ve had three years with a system that has been tweaked every year, that no one understands. Football is unique in that everybody doesn’t make (the playoffs). If you don’t have the opportunity, you need to know how to get there.

At least Childress understand the problems and knows which plan should have been voted in!!

Edited by Hoganknows

Idea for discussion. What if TSSAA lowers the number of schools that make the playoff from 32 to the top 16. Those teams that were going to the playoffs but now wouldn't could play in the "old" bowl system This would give the lower seeds a better chance of competing and WINNING a game against a team of similar size, record................... Granted there are presently some first round upsets but for the most part first round games are just practice for the higher seed teams against weaker lower seeds. I think this could generate interest in the area for the bowl sites and a greater degree of excitement for the teams attending. They would be playing only one game but most lower seeds only play the first round game anyway. Who knows attendance may improve and TSSAA could make more money in gates. Game officials would don't make the cut for playoffs can do these games and gain more experience. I see that as a win for everyone. Just an idea..................... then the discussion begin

No, the schools that are forced to use a 1.8X multiplier are significanty smaller than their non multiplier district counterpart. We have a case where a school with an enrollment of 630 students is forced to compete in a distrct with school enrollments up to 2000 students due to this crazy rule. The numbers just don't add up. Staistics have proven, for obvoius reasons, that the injury rates are much higher for the smaller schools. The reason we have different classifications in High School is to equal things out. Schools of the same size typically have about the same amount of depth. Size does matter. I'm still trying to figure out why a team with 650 students (approx. 325 boys) sould have to schedule a school with an enrollment of 2000 students (approx. 1000 boys). Sure I'm whining, but I've seen some pretty serious injuries over the last 3 years. Someone please try to sell me on the TSSAA logic. I thought they were smart enough to realize that this joke of a multiplier (HIGHEST IN THE NATION) was not working...Guess I was wrong.

Easy answer to that one, then: Play in Division 2 with the rest of the private schools of like size.

When the state's governing body admits the current system is a problem, admits the old system worked, then votes in an opposite direction based on the almighty dollar, I give up. I didn't have any faith in them before this, but I almost believed the rhetoric. I almost believed that we might do what's best and follow the advice of the majority of TN football coaches.......NAAAAHHHH! Follow the money; disgusting.

Bad Plan (Z or 6 classes) and they voted it back in......unreal

“We had played 16 years with a system we know works,†Childress said following the meeting. “We’ve had three years with a system that has been tweaked every year, that no one understands. Football is unique in that everybody doesn’t make (the playoffs). If you don’t have the opportunity, you need to know how to get there.

At least Childress understand the problems and knows which plan should have been voted in!!

Yeah, Childress really understood the problem with a region pitting Copper Basin High School against Moore County High School, which meant a 3 hour 165 mile drive each way for a single A School. Then the same for playing Huntland. And that drive for them too.

Edited by alt1958