Reclassification

fblover

That's wrong about Georgia. They have six classifications as well. I believe this will be there first year using it.

I think Alabama does as well, although it's set up much differently. From what I understand, a ton of states use 6 classifications. A few of them use even more than that. Illinois has 8. New York has more than 10. I know population has a lot to do with it, but even still, while I agree it's more watered down than it used to be, 6 classes is not the outrageous number that a lot of people here make it out to be.

Edited by MSURacer

What I don't understand is why the TSSAA fails to use any imagination whatsoever. If it's really as bad as people say it is (which I don't even believe it is), all they would need to do is tweak a few things in the current system and it would be just fine.

Edited by MSURacer

I think the solution that would make the most people happy is 1 private school classification for all private schools, 6 public school classifications with some kind of multiplier for the open-zoned schools.

I agree with you except if privates were in there own league and open zone schools had a multiplier then 5 classifications would work well in Tennessee. Believe it or not, open zone schools recruit more than the privates that play in D-1. They should have more of a multiplier than any other school playing in D-1.

I agree with you except if privates were in there own league and open zone schools had a multiplier then 5 classifications would work well in Tennessee. Believe it or not, open zone schools recruit more than the privates that play in D-1. They should have more of a multiplier than any other school playing in D-1.

All Open zone schools do not recruit.

I think the solution that would make the most people happy is 1 private school classification for all private schools, 6 public school classifications with some kind of multiplier for the open-zoned schools.

I think you are right. Put all privates and open enrollment into one classification. Then take all of the public schools and put them into 5 or 6 classifications. If you do 6 classes you may only put 6 to 7 teams in each region. This would give teams the availability to schedule harder teams or rival teams. Still take the top 4 teams in each region.

Alabama does it this way, or so it seems on their web site, except for the open enrollment I believe. It looks like they take the largest 64 teams and they become 6A. The next 64 teams become 5A. And so on.

At least that is what I would like to see done.

I think Alabama does as well, although it's set up much differently. From what I understand, a ton of states use 6 classifications. A few of them use even more than that. Illinois has 8. New York has more than 10. I know population has a lot to do with it, but even still, while I agree it's more watered down than it used to be, 6 classes is not the outrageous number that a lot of people here make it out to be.

Very true. Thinking about Alabama, I think they have a lot of small schools.

Living in Illinois, it's a more populated state than Tennessee and lots of public high schools (mainly in Chicago) aren't eligible to compete in the state playoffs. Those schools compete for city championships. The private schools have multipliers applied to their school enrollments.

Missouri also has six classes for 11-man football. Each class has districts with anywhere from 3-6 teams. MO also has 8-man football.

All Open zone schools do not recruit.

That is very true. All D-1 private schools do not recruit either but they are multiplied the same as the ones that do. There is not a way to determind the open zone schools that recruit vs the ones that do not. Therefore they should all be multiplied. Is it fair? Not for open zone schools not recruiting. The simple solution would be if your not recruiting then there is no reason to be open zone. Take the kids in your zone and play ball.

That is very true. All D-1 private schools do not recruit either but they are multiplied the same as the ones that do. There is not a way to determind the open zone schools that recruit vs the ones that do not. Therefore they should all be multiplied. Is it fair? Not for open zone schools not recruiting. The simple solution would be if your not recruiting then there is no reason to be open zone. Take the kids in your zone and play ball.

I guess it doesn't matter if you are "open zoned" and bad at football either. There are kids all over the state that go to a different public school than where the bus that runs in front of their house takes them. Nobody cares unless they start winning. For the record, the only "zones" we have in the City of Maryville are for elementary and intermediate students. All 8th and 9th graders go to Maryville Junior High and all 10th, 11th, and 12th graders go to Maryville High. :ph34r:

I can't for the life of me understand why someone from Maryville would get so offensive about open zone. I don't think "for the record" I have mention Maryville anywhere, but for some reason you felt the need to defend your school??

Do you seriously think I sounded offensive. I was just providing information. I guess since you are a very inexperienced (4 posts total as of now) poster, you are reading more into my post than was implied. I know a message board is not a very effective way to communicate, due to the lack of inflection and non-verbal cues that go along with face to face communication. What it lacks in this area is more than made up for by the speed and immediacy of the medium. Since you are a new and inexperienced poster I will overlook this mistake. I am just glad you aren't someone who makes new screen names and posts baited or loaded questions.

As for the defending Maryville High School issue, what are they going to do to us, move us to 7A? We will be just fine.

I was really wanting to discuss the issue further as to how they are going to deal with the issue you have suggested and find out who decides what the definitions are. I truly don't think the term "open zone" is accurate in a system that doesn't have high school zones. There are counties in West Tennessee where they are discussing on the message boards how all the city kids are going to the big comprehensive county high school. They pay zero tuition. The problem is, not all situations are the same and it is not black and white.

PS: What are your other screen names? :ph34r: