Mt. Juliet Coach Mark Purvis Resigns

toofsfairy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortuantely they have hired a new coach. The Head Coach from Davidson Academy will be taking over at Mt. Juliet. Not sure how this guy beat out the list of names who applied but it definately helps when your dad use to be the man at the tssaa. Mt. Juliet had an amazing candidate in Coach Brown who would have easily stepped in and kept them in contention and possibly taken that next step to a title. There were also some other big names who applied so it is very surprising that they went with him. It will be interesting to see how long he lasts and where the team goes from here.

I have to admit that this hire surpirsed me. Say what you want, but typically private school people are private school people and public are public. Different challenges to face in each arena. Now please don't bother to bring up that he coached at Hunters Lane. He was there 2 years and ran away as quickly as he could.

It would be a shame for this decision to be the one that people remember about Mel Brown. The athletic programs have flourished since he replaced that idiot they had before. Hope this one works out well,. but I just don't see it. However, Mr. Brown is a great judge of carachter so maybe it will.

There is a strong pipeline of talent for years to come so this is an extremely important hire. Friendship and DCA would love for it to fall apart over there I am sure.

Coach Carter is a good coach of very high moral character. In the past his teams have played the game using hustle and good fundamentals to makeup for a lack of talent. The only problem that I see is that he is "old school" and conducts himself more like Coach Mel Brown than Coach Purvis and he will not tolerate any type of problems from the players or their parents. Look for a premium to be placed on discipline on the field, in the classroom, and off the field while out in public. I could see where some of the families may have a difficult time meeting Coach Carter's expectations.

Edited by cbg

Unfortuantely they have hired a new coach. The Head Coach from Davidson Academy will be taking over at Mt. Juliet. Not sure how this guy beat out the list of names who applied but it definately helps when your dad use to be the man at the tssaa. Mt. Juliet had an amazing candidate in Coach Brown who would have easily stepped in and kept them in contention and possibly taken that next step to a title. There were also some other big names who applied so it is very surprising that they went with him. It will be interesting to see how long he lasts and where the team goes from here.

Coach Brown, are you serious?, ask the folks at McGavock what an "amazing" coach he was, I bet you'd have to ask the women and children to leave the area when they start using adjectives to describe Coach Brown