Is the T$$AA.........

In lieu of many events this spring with the so called 're-alignment' and 'Playoff System' mess we are now in. I would ask the above question.

Is it time to scrap the whole mess and start new and fresh?

I know some will say "Why re-invent the wheel?". To them I say the current car is reminiscent of the one driven by Fred Flintstone, and the folks really paying for it are foot sore.

I ask for everyones honest view on this and options from you as well. I am always open to honest debate and can and will change my mind if given FACTS, not 'opinions' to influence me.

For that matter is it time to bring the publics and privates back together?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In lieu of many events this spring with the so called 're-alignment' and 'Playoff System' mess we are now in. I would ask the above question.

I know some will say "Why re-invent the wheel?". To them I say the current car is reminiscent of the one driven by Fred Flintstone, and the folks really paying for it are foot sore.

I ask for everyones honest view on this and options from you as well. I am always open to honest debate and can and will change my mind if given FACTS, not 'opinions' to influence me.

The current system is broken. The old system was fine and would be fine again with just a few tweaks, such as evening out the number of teams in districts. You've got to do what is best for the entire state, and not just one small geographical part of it.

Is it time to bring the publics and privates back together? No, and in fact it is just the opposite. It's time that the publics all play in the same playoff classification, and the privates all play in the same playoff classification. The playing field needs to be as level as possible, and that is the first step to leveling it.

And an edit: I am not anti-private school, and in fact if my kids weren't grown that is a choice my wife and I would have to make. I am all for parental choice in education. I am also all for calling something what it is - public schools and private schools, and playing in the classification which a school should play in according to the type of school it is.

Edited by HTV

The TSSAA needs to be fixed. The problem is that it functions as a fiefdom with no accountability similar to the way Tennessee government operated before the Sunshine Law helped (some). I thought the recent lawsuit by The Nashville Paper might serve as a catalyst for changes but I'm not sure where the case is now.

An entity like this is needed. Someone has to be in charge of making a level playing field.

However TSSAA has done things in such a way that the general populace of fans now questions the integrity of the decisions they make. They went to a 5 classification plan skipping 4, which was probably the number needed then and caused travel and classification issues for many. Then they compounded the error by essentually going to 6 and which is too many still today. In both plans they diluted the playoff system with teams that really had not business in the playoffs. Then with the 6 they put a system in place no one can make sense of.

And on top of that they raise the prices by quite a bit as well as added many games.That gave rise to the idea that all they were interested was in money, therefore the T$$AA moniker.

It's time for some real common sense to prevail in the dealing with the classification to make real sensible regions, and a sensible number of playoff teams that no one would doubt belonged in the playoffs.

To go with this consistant decision making as regards to rule violations, when they arise would help. Those decisions should be fair and open and grounded to where most can say that makes sense. Making rules is never easy, and enforcing them is harder.

Don't want much do I?

Edited by alt1958

An entity like this is needed. Someone has to be in charge of making a level playing field.

However TSSAA has done things in such a way that the general populace of fans now questions the integrity of the decisions they make. They went to a 5 classification plan skipping 4, which was probably the number needed then and caused travel and classification issues for many. Then they compounded the error by essentually going to 6 and which is too many still today. In both plans they diluted the playoff system with teams that really had not business in the playoffs. Then with the 6 they put a system in place no one can make sense of.

And on top of that they raise the prices by quite a bit as well as added many games.That gave rise to the idea that all they were interested was in money, therefore the T$$AA moniker.

It's time for some real common sense to prevail in the dealing with the classification to make real sensible regions, and a sensible number of playoff teams that no one would doubt belonged in the playoffs.

To go with this consistant decision making as regards to rule violations, when they arise would help. Those decisions should be fair and open and grounded to where most can say that makes sense. Making rules is never easy, and enforcing them is harder.

Don't want much do I?

Good Post and I agree with every point but have another questions like where is all the money? I have always had the conspiracy theory that they are or were still paying off the BA lawsuit loss. I just want an organization the is for the kids and protects the integrity of those involved. They have have no accountability to no one and we are all paying for it maybe the TSSAA BOD should be elected? Would that not give the schools some power as well as eliminate some of the secrecy like the financials?

Just a few more thoughts.

Edited by Bucksfan

The current system is broken. The old system was fine and would be fine again with just a few tweaks, such as evening out the number of teams in districts. You've got to do what is best for the entire state, and not just one small geographical part of it.

Is it time to bring the publics and privates back together? No, and in fact it is just the opposite. It's time that the publics all play in the same playoff classification, and the privates all play in the same playoff classification. The playing field needs to be as level as possible, and that is the first step to leveling it.

And an edit: I am not anti-private school, and in fact if my kids weren't grown that is a choice my wife and I would have to make. I am all for parental choice in education. I am also all for calling something what it is - public schools and private schools, and playing in the classification which a school should play in according to the type of school it is.

Agree 100%.

Private and Public should be split. The preseption from publics that privates have an unfair advantage by recruiting and cheating will never, never, never go away! Had a daughter that went to a private, went to many games and heard gripes, grumbling etc from public parents. And yes...the players knew they were despised by many. I now have a son in a public school and now I feel privates have an unfair advantage(what goes around comes around ) I guess. Another plus of splitting...1/2 of the arguements on Coach T would end!

Also agree that the districts should have the same amount of teams. Current proposals have some with 5 some with 9....all should have same# + or - one. I realize its a difficult job to get schools in same district that are located somewhat in the same area with similar enrollments. I would err on the side of location.

There nothing wrong with the current system It's NOT broken. Coach's does not like it because they have to wait till saturday to figure out who there playing. In the 5 class systems in some regions there is some teams having to drive over 100 miles to play a region game. Keep the current system schools are making good money playing the current way

They should start by splitting private and public in the playoffs! They can make all the arguments they want trying to justify keeping them together but publics don't buy it.

I agree with this post. Split the two and you will quickly see the playing feilds start leveling off. More of these kids would stay in their HOME schools instead of going to the privates, if they knew the private was a watered down state title. For every powerhouse private school you have 2 horrible private school teams. Probably the same for publics I'd say. Also think T$$AA should hire a few people in each part of the state to investigate some of the recruiting, both public and private! I mean go out and make sure a kid is living where they say they are and not using some P.O. box or an electric bill to prove residency. This has got to stop! I mean some kids are playing for 4 teams in 4 years!, Its crazy.

As for the need of the TSSAA? Unfortunately We need a governing body. But they need an ENIGMA! Too many guys up there drawing big checks and trying harder to get their buddies in the HOF than doing any governing. I look for a football HOF game coming soon like Basketball. Its all about the money up there right now, In my oppinion.

I agree with this post. Split the two and you will quickly see the playing feilds start leveling off. More of these kids would stay in their HOME schools instead of going to the privates, if they knew the private was a watered down state title. For every powerhouse private school you have 2 horrible private school teams. Probably the same for publics I'd say. Also think T$$AA should hire a few people in each part of the state to investigate some of the recruiting, both public and private! I mean go out and make sure a kid is living where they say they are and not using some P.O. box or an electric bill to prove residency. This has got to stop! I mean some kids are playing for 4 teams in 4 years!, Its crazy.

As for the need of the TSSAA? Unfortunately We need a governing body. But they need an ENIGMA! Too many guys up there drawing big checks and trying harder to get their buddies in the HOF than doing any governing. I look for a football HOF game coming soon like Basketball. Its all about the money up there right now, In my oppinion.

I hope you ment Enema? haha

But you are absolutely right.

Edited by Bucksfan

I hope you ment Enema? haha

But you are absolutely right.

Actually with some of the thinking from the T$$AA you may very well need an 'enigma coding machine'! Come to think of it they can shove one of those with their much needed enema of the brain! Most of their thinking is reminescent of WW2 anyway. <_<

I really hope some of them are reading this thread and realizing this is the 21st Century and not the late 20th.