Oak Ridge moving down a class?

http://www.oakridger.com/preps/x1762347141/Five-or-six-in-state-football-classification

With the new reclassifications coming out, as a tried and true Wildcat fan i would like to know other Oak Ridge fans' thoughts on this matter, plus other schools fans if they were in this situation? Oak Ridge projected to have 1,343 students in 2013, which will put us below the number of students for being in the highest class in the state, which we have always been in. Oak Ridge fans. What do you wanna do? Move down, or stay up where we have always been, regardless of numbers? As everybody knows, Oak Ridge has never backed down from anyone or a challenge. The school keeps getting smaller in numbers, though. I think it says Riverdale, whom we played in the Q-Finals last year has over 2,200 students..Putting them dang near 800 more students then OR. That is asking a lot of a school of Oak Ridge's size to be playing schools that large. But, as a die hard long time OR fan, i wish we swould just stay put, because we have never backed down from anybody, no matter the sizes of the schools. Other fans, what would you do if in Oak Ridge's position in the upcoming re-classification meeetings??? Thanks for your input beforehand.

Edited by SweetScience

Personally, I would play in the class that the TSSAA puts us in. If that means that my school is dropped a classification by the TSSAA, I wouldn't fight that decision. I don't see that as backing away from a challenge, just playing where you belong. Best of luck to Oak Ridge either way

Personally, I would play in the class that the TSSAA puts us in. If that means that my school is dropped a classification by the TSSAA, I wouldn't fight that decision. I don't see that as backing away from a challenge, just playing where you belong. Best of luck to Oak Ridge either way

I agree, AllRegion. I also believe it would help us to lower our $4,000 tuition fee for how much it takes for out of city kids to come play for us, like other schools do! I am like you AllRegion, wherever tssaa puts us. You can't claim we are backing down if we do go there where they place us. Oak Ridge is gonna continue to decrease in size i do believe, so it will happen eventually.

Edited by SweetScience

Why would playing against schools of comparable size possibly be considered "chickening out"? Sounds like a smart move to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with MSU.. play where they put you..nothing wrong with that at all..

Why would playing against schools of comparable size possibly be considered "chickening out"? Sounds like a smart move to me.

Well, you know how other teams fans will be, especially rival schools (Farragut Etc) probably would claim we were chickening out, when in reality they have close to probably 700 more students then Oak Ridge. Oak Ridge is barely bigger then Powell, and they are in 5A, to just give you a feel. Playing schools with 2,000 to 2200 students against your 1300 is crazy, but hey i am sure some people will still say we chickened out if we do move down. It is what it is.

I agree, AllRegion. I also believe it would help us to lower our $4,000 tuition fee for how much it takes for out of city kids to come play for us, like other schools do! I am like you AllRegion, wherever tssaa puts us. You can't claim we are backing down if we do go there where they place us. Oak Ridge is gonna continue to decrease in size i do believe, so it will happen eventually.

I think you're exactly right, SweetScience. The $4,000 tuition fee for Oak Ridge does seem extremely high, especially compared to other public schools who only charge $500. I wouldn't imagine that overcrowding would be a barrier to lowering that high tuition either, as enrollment numbers are decreasing like you said. However, I fully expect Oak Ridge to be on the short list of state title contenders in the new (potential) 4A with or without lowering the tuition fees.

I think you're exactly right, SweetScience. The $4,000 tuition fee for Oak Ridge does seem extremely high, especially compared to other public schools who only charge $500. I wouldn't imagine that overcrowding would be a barrier to lowering that high tuition either, as enrollment numbers are decreasing like you said. However, I fully expect Oak Ridge to be on the short list of state title contenders in the new (potential) 4A with or without lowering the tuition fees.

I would hope so, AllRegion. We have made the Semifinals and the Q-finals the past 2 years in 6A, so i don't see why we wouldn't be contending for titles. The truth is, Oak Ridge is decreasing in size, not increasing. Thanks to the influx of the Hardin Valley area and skyrocketing city taxes and red light and speed camera's. It's running people out of town, and the morons in the City Council think it's helping the City, go figure...

Edited by SweetScience

Well SS what you say is true but the main problem is no jobs and even if you find one there are not a lot of new houses THAT younger people want! If they could afford them. One plant is gone and the other two just aren't hiring like in the past. Welcome to the future! Looks like Oak Ridge is becoming a retirement community, if not already one. And our newest residents children play soccer.

Edited by bounder

Well SS what you say is true but the main problem is no jobs and even if you find one there are not a lot of new houses THAT younger people want! If they could afford them. One plant is gone and the other two just aren't hiring like in the past. Welcome to the future! Looks like Oak Ridge is becoming a retirement community, if not already one. And our newest residents children play soccer.

Well, OR is close enough to Knoxville where people living here shouldn't be a problem. That's one thing OR has always had going for it, it is not Knoxville, but close enough to Knoxville if somebody doesn't actually wanna live in the city of Knox..But, as i said, Hardin Valley and it's expansion has hurt even that a lot.

Thanks to the influx of speed camera's. It's running people out of town, and the morons in the City Council think it's helping the City, go figure...

Well SS eye don't know abowt all ov East Tinnersee, butt eye'll bet hit wood bee awfull hard two git a good Rockwould recroot now inntwo Oke Gridge......... :popcorneater: