Youth Football in Blount County 2012.

REBELRON

Eye do haiv two addmitt eye miss sum ov my old favritts frum yeers gone buy att tha Mairvul Missprint....Eye speshlee miss Lairy Biers (beefour he runnoft two South Calina wif tha gurl baskitbawl playur).....popcorneater.gif

Larry was a good one, as was Rodney McCash and Gary Turner.

Paul McAfee was the beginning of the end up there.

And the way that asshat Brice handled Stefan was ridiculous.

Stef is better off now. Low overhead riding a bike everywhere.

Larry was a good one, as was Rodney McCash and Gary Turner.

Paul McAfee was the beginning of the end up there.

And the way that asshat Brice handled Stefan was ridiculous.

Stef is better off now. Low overhead riding a bike everywhere.

Jeff Burrk......"Smokey" Burrjuss.....popcorneater.gif

Edited by STARSNBARS

Ah, so you'd rather subscribe to papers whose writers don't claim to know much. Makes sense.

Nope, I'd rather subscribe to one where the writers don't have a "holier than thou" attitude even if they do know stuff. I don't care if you know it, I hope you do if you are worth two cents, but lose the attitude. Not a good business model in an age where information is readily available and if you are wise you can figure out who does know what they claim.

Just my 2 cents. As always, I don't expect everyone (if any) to agree with me.

Nope, I'd rather subscribe to one where the writers don't have a "holier than thou" attitude even if they do know stuff. I don't care if you know it, I hope you do if you are worth two cents, but lose the attitude. Not a good business model in an age where information is readily available and if you are wise you can figure out who does know what they claim.

Just my 2 cents. As always, I don't expect everyone (if any) to agree with me.

I agree with you in principle, but it's awfully hard to criticize a writer for having that attitude when you don't know him personally.

I agree with you in principle, but it's awfully hard to criticize a writer for having that attitude when you don't know him personally.

I'm just telling you in my, granted, limited general interactions with him (both on and off inerwebz), the feel I get. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, perception is reality.

By the same token, I'm sure many think that about me too, so there you go. (Shut up APB.)

I'm just telling you in my, granted, limited general interactions with him (both on and off inerwebz), the feel I get. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, perception is reality.

By the same token, I'm sure many think that about me too, so there you go. (Shut up APB.)

Perception is reality for those who choose not to figure out what reality really is. Ignorance is bliss, and it's easy to judge others based on "limited general interactions," then blast them on a message board.

You have your opinion and I have mine. We'll agree to disagree. But if that's your opinion of Grant, you don't know him very well.

Perception is reality for those who choose not to figure out what reality really is. Ignorance is bliss, and it's easy to judge others based on "limited general interactions," then blast them on a message board.

You have your opinion and I have mine. We'll agree to disagree. But if that's your opinion of Grant, you don't know him very well.

I disagree on perception, especially when you are selling a product (which let's face it, he is). People make decisions on how you come across.

That said, the rest of your post is a fair point I will consider and keep in mind.

I miss Gary Turner, one of the best ever!

While working at the "Maryville Times" back in the early '80's, I had the privilege to get to know and hang out with Gary Turner, Jeff Burke, Bob Hodge, Mark Burgess, and the notorious Bob Gilbert.

Gary Turner: one of my best friends during that time period and as good of a writer as anyone I've ever read. Did a great job of making sure that there was always "local coverage" on the sports page, regardless of what time of year it was.

Jeff Burke: wrote with a lot of "guts" (you could insert a different male-oriented word here). Had a tendency to get under the skin of a lot of "Maryville" folks.

Bob Hodge: good sports guy, but his love was always "outdoors stuff". Spent some time fishing on the river with him at his house on the ... I can't remember, maybe the French Broad (is that somewhere in Knoxville?) Bob often got in trouble because he had a tendency to spill his "spit cup" on valuable equipment in the newsroom.

Mark Burgess: just a good guy. He was always well-loved by the locals in Maryville. Excellent writer on a higher level than just "sports writing".

Bob Gilbert: love him or hate him, Bob didn't hesitate to write what he thought. This has made him hated by many down through the years. Spent some time helping him do East Tennessee's longest running radio sports show, "The Original Sports Page."