Gordonsville at Smith County

croz6110

Let's start it.

SC has a game under their belt, and Gville will play their first game.

Can Gville get over the hump and win their first game against Carthage since 1998, or will they leave disappointed.

I'm expecting a game very much like the last 3. Can Gville contain Manning and Givens? It might be tough with McCoy on the sidelines.

But, I'm anxious to see if Gville's offense can produce some points.

Both teams have standout players with D-1 interest. It's the first time I recall that happening.

Either way, I think Gville wins 28-14.

Go Blue.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith co has 2 things that gordonsville does not..an excellent coaching staff and discipline..

I'm hoping the discipline has changed. The coaching staff is still the same, but that doesn't mean they can't beat SC. Their are several coaches on that staff that have beat SC. I'm anxious to see how the coaching matchup shapes up.

But, as far as the discipline and coaching, one depends on the other.

Smith co has 2 things that gordonsville does not..an excellent coaching staff and discipline..

Really? No reason for this statement. Just puts too much of a negative spin on this. First, the Coaching staff at Gordonsville is as good as any around. Coach Marshall and Coach Medley have been around this game a long time and they understand what it takes to win. They have both been extremely successful over the years winning at all levels (1A up to 6A). The rest of the staff were all winners while playing at Gordonsville and have brought what they learned with them to the sidelines. Couldn't ask for a better staff. As far as discipline, yes, we had a bad night in the semi finals last season but that is over and behind us. Trust me, I have seen discipline issues on your side of the river and other programs as well. It happens.

In regards to the game Friday, should be another classic. I still say whoever wins the battle on the Offensive and Defensive lines and who has the fewest mistakes wins. Line play definitely in Gordonsville's advantage. Mistakes, who knows. Thats why they play the game.

Guest Termite

Really? No reason for this statement. Just puts too much of a negative spin on this. First, the Coaching staff at Gordonsville is as good as any around. Coach Marshall and Coach Medley have been around this game a long time and they understand what it takes to win. They have both been extremely successful over the years winning at all levels (1A up to 6A). The rest of the staff were all winners while playing at Gordonsville and have brought what they learned with them to the sidelines. Couldn't ask for a better staff. As far as discipline, yes, we had a bad night in the semi finals last season but that is over and behind us. Trust me, I have seen discipline issues on your side of the river and other programs as well. It happens.

In regards to the game Friday, should be another classic. I still say whoever wins the battle on the Offensive and Defensive lines and who has the fewest mistakes wins. Line play definitely in Gordonsville's advantage. Mistakes, who knows. Thats why they play the game.

I think G-ville has a good coaching staff.....but everybody agrees that discipline has been the problem in the past. And it was more than just the semi's, and more than just last year. The semis were the most glaring. Yelp, Medley and Moose have been around a long time and coached many a games. That's the 1 thing to me that's been so suprising. It may happen on this side .....ONCE....not over and over.

I'm interested to see why you think line play is in G-ville's advantage, Three 2 year starters return for SC, I believe the same as G-ville., and those 3 from SC havien't lost to the blue yet.

Mistakes....I agree with you......those make or break anybody.

I think G-ville has a good coaching staff.....but everybody agrees that discipline has been the problem in the past. And it was more than just the semi's, and more than just last year. The semis were the most glaring. Yelp, Medley and Moose have been around a long time and coached many a games. That's the 1 thing to me that's been so suprising. It may happen on this side .....ONCE....not over and over.

I'm interested to see why you think line play is in G-ville's advantage, Three 2 year starters return for SC, I believe the same as G-ville., and those 3 from SC havien't lost to the blue yet.

Actually Term SC has 2-4 year starters..The Carter twins have started every game since they were freshman.

The reason Gordonsville has the line advantage is anyone who witnessed last years game saw the G'ville D-line camp out in the Carthage backfield as evidence by the number of negative plays and giving up minimal rushing yardage. In fact, the past three years all who were there saw the same thing as the Gordonsville Line outplayed the owl line physically. The losses were for the most part due to mistakes (2009 we dropped a wide open interception where we could have taken a knee and ran out the clock for the win, 2010 penalties in a game where the game was 0-0 close to the end of the 3rd quarter, and of course last season 2 very costly and untimely turnovers, 1 after Cason's long run and the muffed punt in the fourth quarter. Even some of your die hard fans and coaches have stated the same to me as I have just stated. #53 and #77 are difficult for most teams around here to handle so it really is nothing to be ashamed of. Just because someone has started for 2+ years doesnt mean they are the best on the field. Dont get me wrong, experience is important and crucial but at the end of the day when you just look at pure overall talent, Gordonsville is a little better up front. What could be a difference this year is not having #4 for that first game. He is a tackling machine but I have faith in #56, #46 and the rest of the Tiger Defense.

Line play will be a big factor..but remember..gordonsvilles o line is more often than not also their d line..gotta keep the fatiuge factor in mind..best way to combat a good d line is a quick 3 step drop..advantage sc

We might surprise you with the Depth we have. More than what people think. Our O line and D-line went both ways last year and were still physically dominant. What cost us were mistakes. Just like I said before, whoever has the fewest and least untimely mistakes will more often than not decide who wins close games. This is going to be another classic. Looking forward to it.