Maryville vs. Alcoa (Official ESPN2 Game Thread)

Red Rebels

Thats fine both team were awesome 2004 scored a lil more pts and gave up a lil more than the 94 team, but all that matters was they both beat Oak Ridge...lol...

back to the MHS-AHS game

Lol true, but 2 fairly well contested games. We held our own, and eventually got them back in 2005 which ended up being Rankin's last game for the Warriors. Anyways, i look for a very competitive tilt between AHS-MHS. Should be a great one like always.

Edited by SweetScience

Ownby and Loy can get down right mean. Too bad we don't see them on defense a little. Swap those two in and out with Young and qbs would be counting stars.

I know there are some Alcoa fans looking forward to seeing "big ole Loy" line up across from Maryville, seeing how he lives in Maryville. I remember him at Sam Houston and MIS. David Hunt graduate I think.

I graduated from Alcoa in 1977. I love my alma matre, however, my kids went to MHS, my wife taught at MHS, and I have coached on the Southerners staff for ten years. I coached the MHS players that will be starting Sunday. My loyalty is to the names on the back of the jersey, not the name on the front. Most of the guys on here know who I am.

Don't blame you there. Thanks for the time you have put in with those kids, you all have done an outstanding job with that program.

I know there are some Alcoa fans looking forward to seeing "big ole Loy" line up across from Maryville, seeing how he lives in Maryville. I remember him at Sam Houston and MIS. David Hunt graduate I think.

He is a good looking kid that looks like plays football with an attitude. Has he been a 2 or 3 year starter at alcoa? How could we have lost him?

Edited by strongx

I don't know. Haven't heard that. It would be the sensible thing to do. He is very blatant with his officiating. I actually believe there are enough refs out there that a ref should never be allowed to ref a game in which his alma mater is playing, or in a game in which the school that his kids attend is playing. JMO.

That does make sense jake. Too much sense. The problem I see is most people are either murvil lovers or murvil haters. I would rather keep with the murvil lovers refereeing our games. Definely don't want murvil haters doing the home games. We get enough of that at awy games in knoxville. We might have to start flying in some refs from way far away to find folks unbiased about murvil, and I don't think anyone wants to pay for that.

BTW, are the hodson brothers still doing any games?

That does make sense jake. Too much sense. The problem I see is most people are either murvil lovers or murvil haters. I would rather keep with the murvil lovers refereeing our games. Definely don't want murvil haters doing the home games. We get enough of that at awy games in knoxville. We might have to start flying in some refs from way far away to find folks unbiased about murvil, and I don't think anyone wants to pay for that.

BTW, are the hodson brothers still doing any games?

No.

Reading through this thread has reaffirmed one of the big things I really dislike about Alcoa: the hyperbole.

They're always talking about how this is their year and this being their "best team" year after year after year... c'mon. The team from a couple of years ago would have absolutely WAXED Webb last weekend. You may say your boys were looking ahead, but mental toughness and focus is part of the game and is part of the DNA of a team. Those truly great Alcoa teams from recent years didn't look over anyone...they just kept hanging more and more points on the scoreboard and making statements. Heck, they did it to us...

I agree AHS will bring its A game on Sunday. I hope MHS does the same. And I hope it's an absolute Rebel blowout on national TV with Prevo doing something that gets us on Sportscenter the next day.