Recruiting middleschoolers?

GOOSESDAD

Before we get to deep into blaming Private Schools...................dont think for 1 sec that these Public Schools are nt recruiting these kids as much or worse!!! There s a couple of kids i know for a fact that are as 7th & 8th graders and believe it or not a 11yr old was getting wore out by coaches in Chattanooga and ended up at a small private school instead.

This may be true, but the county is really cracking down, it is much harder to get a kid in. A kid is going to have to prove he lives in the zone. East Ham was down in 6th grade this year, so much so that they lost 2 6th grade teachers shipped to other schools.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be true, but the county is really cracking down, it is much harder to get a kid in. A kid is going to have to prove he lives in the zone. East Ham was down in 6th grade this year, so much so that they lost 2 6th grade teachers shipped to other schools.

I agree Chattacane..........................there really cracking down as they should. I think the re zoning probably caused the biggest drop-off.

The bottem line an incoming freshman can go where he wants as long as he is accepted into the school and provides his/her transportation, The truth is Schools in every county are competing agaisnt each other because of the new accoutability standards. Any Principal who values his job will open the door to any student that will increase the schools score on the state report card. We have become a data driven society, based on bussiness principles, we dont value the intangibles that students learn in school, if it can't be measured we don't count it. Its only gonna get worse, its just not an athletic problem anymore. Schools are competing for the smart out of zone student. All I can say is you better get on board, or you will be left behind. Every school is competing for the best student, best athlete, best tuba player, best ACT score. The privates have done it much longer and are better networked to get it done. Complaining about it only puts you further behind. School choice is just that, we have it so deal with it. Wish it was different but in ain't. Like I said earlier the money follows the student whether its local, state, or federal in these counties that have more than one school system. Students zoned for Maryville that go to William blount get not only the county tax money but they get there share of the city tax money also. Most don't realize this but it is true. So if I am Heritage or William Blount i would encourage my school board to start running bus service into the city limits. In the bussiness world Blount county Schools should be trying to run the City system's out of bussiness. If you don't the rich will keep getting richer. This is the ugly truth, so if you want your alma mater to succeed you better put up and make your school the best it can be.

The bottem line an incoming freshman can go where he wants as long as he is accepted into the school and provides his/her transportation, The truth is Schools in every county are competing agaisnt each other because of the new accoutability standards. Any Principal who values his job will open the door to any student that will increase the schools score on the state report card. We have become a data driven society, based on bussiness principles, we dont value the intangibles that students learn in school, if it can't be measured we don't count it. Its only gonna get worse, its just not an athletic problem anymore. Schools are competing for the smart out of zone student. All I can say is you better get on board, or you will be left behind. Every school is competing for the best student, best athlete, best tuba player, best ACT score. The privates have done it much longer and are better networked to get it done. Complaining about it only puts you further behind. School choice is just that, we have it so deal with it. Wish it was different but in ain't. Like I said earlier the money follows the student whether its local, state, or federal in these counties that have more than one school system. Students zoned for Maryville that go to William blount get not only the county tax money but they get there share of the city tax money also. Most don't realize this but it is true. So if I am Heritage or William Blount i would encourage my school board to start running bus service into the city limits. In the bussiness world Blount county Schools should be trying to run the City system's out of bussiness. If you don't the rich will keep getting richer. This is the ugly truth, so if you want your alma mater to succeed you better put up and make your school the best it can be.

It gets real complicated here in Lenoir City/Loudon County. Lenoir City has 3 schools, Primary, Middle and High all (of course) in Lenoir City. The County operates all other schools including Loudon High, Greenback High and lots of middle and primary schools. One such school is North Middle located in the Lenor City end of the county, but outside the city limits. Lenoir City Middle wanted a football team and had the money to do it, but not enough kids, North Middle wanted a football team and had kids but no money.....SOOO they combined the kids from North Middle and LC Middle and made the North Panthers. They play at LC Middle and the Lenoir City school system puts up most if not all the money with North Middle providing the bulk of the kids. Where it gets really complicated is the county has no High School on this end of the County so all the County kids go to Lenoir City and the County pays a tuition for them to Lenoir City System. With most kids playing ball for North Panthers are county kids, they can (and some have) play for Lenoir City, Loudon, or Greenback because of how all the "zoning" is done. With that said the TSSAA has ruled in the past no matter where you live in this county and which school you start with, you better stay there for 4 years. There have been North Panthers go to Catholic, Loudon, Lenoir City (of course) CAK, and a few other schools. Clear as TN River mud!

Loudon is another two system county. I am not familiar with the difference in pupil spending in this county. I do know that both do not pay very well which is suprising because of the growth in the area. Competition usually helps in this area not sure why it hasn't here. However this is two separate communities and have loyal fan base not sure how many students in the same family attend different schools. In Blount and Bradley county I sure that students from the same family may attend separate schools as well as in the tri city areas. It would be interesting if the TSSAA would track out of zone students for each system. Maybe put a limit on how many can participate in athletics kinda like they did with financial aid before the split. If TSSAA wanted to control this problem they could but not sure how many schools would be for it. If you have too many maybe you should have to play D-II. This would be an interesting twist.

I know Blount County has no one recruiting middle schoolers because I have a middle schooler, and Stars or none of the other recruiters have tried to recruit him. If there was any recruiting going on, I know they would be after him, he is 5'2" and a solid 105 lbs., he ran a 5.2 40 yard dash, and bench press 80 lbs. Dr. said he had his moms genes, so if that is true, when he hits his growth spurt, he will have to move to FB or maybe even up to the line, he should end up with some really big legs, and low center of gravity. He currently is playing TB in middle school though, every time he steps on the field, the coach yells, "son get your tail back". We keep waiting on the phone to ring........

I know Blount County has no one recruiting middle schoolers because I have a middle schooler, and Stars or none of the other recruiters have tried to recruit him. If there was any recruiting going on, I know they would be after him, he is 5'2" and a solid 105 lbs., he ran a 5.2 40 yard dash, and bench press 80 lbs. Dr. said he had his moms genes, so if that is true, when he hits his growth spurt, he will have to move to FB or maybe even up to the line, he should end up with some really big legs, and low center of gravity. He currently is playing TB in middle school though, every time he steps on the field, the coach yells, "son get your tail back". We keep waiting on the phone to ring........

jake cain jake jr. throw tha tater orr maik good graids??.....How tall iz his grandpappy on tha momma's side??....blush.png

jake cain jake jr. throw tha tater orr maik good graids??.....How tall iz his grandpappy on tha momma's side??....blush.png

Stars, he is honors student, can throw it about 28 yards, 32 yards with wind behind him. His grandmother on moms side is 5'11", and grandfather is 6'4", and you should see the size of his moms thighs. I hope he gets her legs as far as the size, but his moms legs look like somebody beat her with a bag of nickels, I hope his don't look like that. Stars, let me say that I am not married to his real momma any more, she still lives in L.A. (Lower Alabama), just didn't want you to think I was being negative toward my wife.

I think he is automatically tied to the school that his grandpappy on his momma's side attended even if it was in another city or state, at least that's what some guy was saying on here one time... blink.png

That won't happen. My first wife grew up in Lower Alabama, down close to the Gulf Coast, but her father grew up in the North, North, Northeast, and moved South after college. They are different just different people, they are Auburn fans (which is why I am divorced), I thought I could overlook that issue and the issue that she fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, because her family was loaded. Well it didn't work, I could have dealt with the ugliness, but how I could ever have thought I could go to bed with an Auburn fan every night, is beyond me. Back to your statement, I don't see us moving to the upper Northeast for any reason.