GREENEVILLE vs Alcoa

BillyBobby

There is a considerable difference between "great" and "just fine". Perhaps that "great" athlete could have done better than "just fine" in a different program. Sometimes more is better...more money,facilities, coaching, attention. Doesn't do much good to be a marquis athlete at a mediocre program. That's why the quality programs always attract the quality players...Maryville and Alcoa have proven to be the benchmark for all of East Tennessee. I hope Greeneville can continue to build a similarly attractive program.All I know is every time our boys line up across from a great team like Alcoa we become a better team...Go Greene!

You know what the most prevalent error in your entire rebuttle about exposure and attractiveness is, Barb? The fact that Boles went to the exact same college as your beloved defensive standout Rollins is at. How much more exposure does Greeneville really get? Your program brings in lots of attention from area high schools and across the state. However, don't act as if you are the cream of the crop. Your program brings lots of attention, but it also sends it away because of the respect your fans give any other team, player, fan, coach that enters Burley Stadium. The way (MOST) of you talk and carry yourselves is downright atrocious. Go ahead and report this post like you do every other post that shares the truth about how demeaning you are.

There is a considerable difference between "great" and "just fine". Perhaps that "great" athlete could have done better than "just fine" in a different program. Sometimes more is better...more money,facilities, coaching, attention. Doesn't do much good to be a marquis athlete at a mediocre program. That's why the quality programs always attract the quality players...Maryville and Alcoa have proven to be the benchmark for all of East Tennessee. I hope Greeneville can continue to build a similarly attractive program.All I know is every time our boys line up across from a great team like Alcoa we become a better team...Go Greene!

Not Always so. I think it was in 2006 when the Colts won the Super Bowl, I was watching one of the big media days they had and there was 3 of the Colts starters (don't remember their names), that were being interviewed and I will never forget the comments they made. These three guys were starters in the NFL and yet all three of them said they had never been on a championship football team, at any level, not Pee Wee, not Pop Warner, not Middle School or High School, they had never been on a championship team. So not everyone has to play on a championship team to have success. I think everyone would agree that Maryville has done more winning the last 15 years than anyone in the state. Go check how most of their athletes have fared at the college level. I am not knocking them in any way, just trying to make a point that playing for a championship team doesn't mean you will have success at the next level, and not playing for a championship team doesn't mean that you will not have success at the next level.

My "just fine" comments were sarcasm. I consider their careers more than just fine. And your "more" comments just proved my comments about greeneville correct...thanks!

I guess since the Gap is idle tonight, ill make the trip down the motor mile to see the Devils and the F5 settle their business. Who to pull for...the Gaps conference brothers or the 2A school taking on the 4A powerhouse. Either way, I still think Alcoa pulls away late high 30's to low 20's....maybe 38-21.

Not Always so. I think it was in 2006 when the Colts won the Super Bowl, I was watching one of the big media days they had and there was 3 of the Colts starters (don't remember their names), that were being interviewed and I will never forget the comments they made. These three guys were starters in the NFL and yet all three of them said they had never been on a championship football team, at any level, not Pee Wee, not Pop Warner, not Middle School or High School, they had never been on a championship team. So not everyone has to play on a championship team to have success. I think everyone would agree that Maryville has done more winning the last 15 years than anyone in the state. Go check how most of their athletes have fared at the college level. I am not knocking them in any way, just trying to make a point that playing for a championship team doesn't mean you will have success at the next level, and not playing for a championship team doesn't mean that you will not have success at the next level.

I'm not sure where all this talk of college and exposure came from, but I would consider using your talent on the football field to go to college to be the pinnacle of success. The real question is how many of the young men who play college football on scholarship could afford to attend if they had to pay for it themselves. You are correct, championships do not guarantee success but a championship program can provide the appropriate incubator to produce college-level talent and a ticket to an education that otherwise might not exist. I would imagine the Rollins family is thankfull their son was able to use his athletic ability to attend a great school like TTU.

You know what the most prevalent error in your entire rebuttle about exposure and attractiveness is, Barb? The fact that Boles went to the exact same college as your beloved defensive standout Rollins is at. How much more exposure does Greeneville really get? Your program brings in lots of attention from area high schools and across the state. However, don't act as if you are the cream of the crop. Your program brings lots of attention, but it also sends it away because of the respect your fans give any other team, player, fan, coach that enters Burley Stadium. The way (MOST) of you talk and carry yourselves is downright atrocious. Go ahead and report this post like you do every other post that shares the truth about how demeaning you are.

You do know that scholarship or not, team is team.

Paying to play and going to school or getting your school paid for while you play is a big difference! You do know that walk-ons don't get same rights as scholarship players (team meals etc. per NCAA rules) Not being listed on a roster and being listed on the schools roster is a big difference too.....might want to look that up

Edited by Swipes