who is the best player in tennessee right now?

iknowmorethanyou

I for one am proud that we have this many great players coming from Tennessee this year.All the names mentioned on this thread are great players in their own right and deserve to be recognized.It will be great for middle tn to watch Hurd or any of the others go on to do great things.Hurd and some of the others are only juniors so next year should be exciting also.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KWC - I don't think anybody wants to diminish Hurd or Dodson. But I do think it's a stretch to imply that there isn't a difference in the level of competition throughout the regular season and that it doesn't make a difference in the STATS. It logically DOES make a difference in the STATS. But it doesn't infer that they couldn't do as well against tougher competition. Case in point. You're from the Memphis area. Last year East's Kimbro (now at Vandy) had a gaudy 200+ rushing average, came to MUS and got <50 yards. For the second year in a row. However, had he played for MUS in D II AA, he very well could have averaged 200+ in that division, as Elder did. The level of competition just makes it harder to compare "stats" and even what you see on highlight film. From what I have read and seen, it does appear that Hurd would probably run roughshod over any opponent and likely is in a class (Junior!) by himself.

Edited by owlbooster

KWC - I don't think anybody wants to diminish Hurd or Dodson. But I do think it's a stretch to imply that there isn't a difference in the level of competition throughout the regular season and that it doesn't make a difference in the STATS. It logically DOES make a difference in the STATS. But it doesn't infer that they couldn't do as well against tougher competition. Case in point. You're from the Memphis area. Last year East's Kimbro (now at Vandy) had a gaudy 200+ rushing average, came to MUS and got <50 yards. For the second year in a row. However, had he played for MUS in D II AA, he very well could have averaged 200+ in that division, as Elder did. The level of competition just makes it harder to compare "stats" and even what you see on highlight film. From what I have read and seen, it does appear that Hurd would probably run roughshod over any opponent and likely is in a class (Junior!) by himself.

excellent post. Im sure they will try and find a way to detract the fact that he gained 50 yds as opposed to over 200 like he did in his division.

You are the one who wanted to use individuals who were recruited from private schools as a base of supporting your 'better quality of opponent' argument. Now, since I used that same tatic to support the other two gentlemen, you NOW want to switch to another tatic of 'comparative score analysis' to support your 'better quality of opponent' argument. That argument is just as flawed. MUS lost to Ensworth twice last year as a matter of fact. The first lost was more competative with a score of 28-14. They also lost last year to two different public schools as well. Olive Branch and South Panola. Last year Whitehaven beat Central 33-7, East 20-7, and White Station twice, 26-17, and 34-14. What does any of this prove? Nothing. Everything. Who cares where MUS was ranked amound D2 schools. Like any district or classification, you are going to have good teams and those who are not so good. None of this suggests that Mr. Elder constantly faces stiffer opposition then Mr. Hurd or Mr. Dodson. To put up these types of numbers you have to be an exceptional athlete. PERIOD.

I think you could take either and place them at each school and hand the ball off to them and all three would flourish. You are trying to make Mr. Elder's feats of heroics look better in comparison to Mr. Hurd's or Mr. Dodson's by tryin to elevate the level of competition Mr. Elder faces above the level of competition Mr. Hurd and Mr. Dodson faces and in doing so, you inadvertently diminish Mr. Hurd's and Mr. Dodson's accomplishments in an attempt to make what Mr. Elder has done look better then the other two. It doesn't fly.

But ... it is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I just disagree completely. Right now, Mr. Hurd is the stud of Tennessee High School football players. Mr. Elder and Mr. Dodson and a host of others are also rans in comparison.

I made the statement that Mr Hurd plays against weaker competetion than Mr Elder. You wanted to argue the fact. I listed division 1 players from just one of his opponents he played against to show you the level of talent in D2. You then wanted to list all the recruits from a whole city. lol. The funny thing is you even listed d2 schools. were you trying to prove my argument? You did a good job so thank you. In another post aboove you will see where Kimbro averaged over 200 yards against the public school teams and only gained 50 against Mus and make no mistake Mus isnt Ensworth. You are one of those people who would tell me its sunny if you were standing in the middle of a hurricane. Anyway, I think Hurd is the real deal and I would ove to see him play against better teams just to see where he is really at. Im not saying he wouldnt be dominant. Im just saying I would like to see where he really stands against the best of the best.

excellent post. Im sure they will try and find a way to detract the fact that he gained 50 yds as opposed to over 200 like he did in his division.

What is there to detract? When Mr. Kimbrow faced Whitehaven last year he was met with a very similar fate. Same thing when he faced White Station. Mr. Kimbrow ammassed some yardage last against some teams but NOT against everybody he faced ... private and public. He also put up yardage against another private large school before he played against MUS last year as well.

The whole issue I had with 411's original statement is that to date Mr. Dodson and Mr. Hurd have done this against stiff competiton as well. Yes, both teams have played some teams that aren't as good as others. But Mr. Hurd has done this against Mt. Juliet AND Henry County while Mr. Dodosn has faced White Station, East St. Louis and Ridgeway already. Mr. Elder has put up numbers against MUS and Lexington Catholic (blowout). The other teams on Ensworth's schedule to date aren't overly impressive more so then the other teams on Whitehaven's or Beech's schedule to date. All three have faced some good competition and some not so good competiton.

owlbooster, 411 didn't imply anything. He just came right out and said that Elder has done his thing against stiffer competiton. He infered that any student athlete who excells in D-2 ranks should be given more consideration for their heroics because night-in and night-out they (D-2) football players face stiffer competiton on a whole rather then the public school student athletes. I'm still saying ... to date ... Mr. Elder hasn't faced stiffer competiton, on a whole, then has Mr. Dodson or Mr. Hurd. Nothing has been presented to make me think otherwise.

We will have to agree to diagree i guess.

Edited by kwc

I made the statement that Mr Hurd plays against weaker competetion than Mr Elder. You wanted to argue the fact. I listed division 1 players from just one of his opponents he played against to show you the level of talent in D2. You then wanted to list all the recruits from a whole city. lol. The funny thing is you even listed d2 schools. were you trying to prove my argument? You did a good job so thank you. In another post aboove you will see where Kimbro averaged over 200 yards against the public school teams and only gained 50 against Mus and make no mistake Mus isnt Ensworth. You are one of those people who would tell me its sunny if you were standing in the middle of a hurricane. Anyway, I think Hurd is the real deal and I would ove to see him play against better teams just to see where he is really at. Im not saying he wouldnt be dominant. Im just saying I would like to see where he really stands against the best of the best.

The portion I highlighted is what you focused on and I know you understood my comments. Yes, I listed the city's recruits when I was talking about the 2013 verbal commitments. THEN I emphasized, which of those on the list that is on the schedule that Mr. Dodson has faced or will face later on this year. It came from an earlier post in another thread and I just didn't feel like editing it so I just cut and paste.

No ... If i'm in the middle of a huricane I will tell you just that ... I'm in the Middle of a hurricane. The difference in our evaluation of Mr. Hurd's competition and Dodson's competition is that you don't think highly of Henry County, Mt. Juliet, White Station, East St. Louis, or Ridgeway. But you do think highly of MUS and Lexington Catholic and the rest on Ensworth's 2012 schedule. Me on the other hand ... I think highly of all of the schools I just mentioned.

Edited by kwc

The portion I highlighted is what you focused on and I know you understood my comments. Yes, I listed the city's recruits when I was talking about the 2013 verbal commitments. THEN I emphasized, which of those on the list that is on the schedule that Mr. Dodson has faced or will face later on this year. It came from an earlier post in another thread and I just didn't feel like editing it so I just cut and paste.

No ... If i'm in the middle of a huricane I will tell you just that ... I'm in the Middle of a hurricane. The difference in our evaluation of Mr. Hurd's competition and Dodson's competition is that you don't think highly of Henry County, Mt. Juliet, White Station, East St. Louis, or Ridgeway. But you do think highly of MUS and Lexington Catholic and the rest on Ensworth's 2012 schedule. Me on the other hand ... I think highly of all of the schools I just mentioned.

No disrespect to Lexington Catholic; but they are a 4A school and should not beconsidered the same level of competition as Henry County, Mt Juliet, East St Louis or Ridgway. I live in Lexington and am very familiar with them.( i moved to Lexington from Mt Juliet last year. ) They do have a good team; but not like these others.

I havent seen Hurd either But Elder is the most elusive and best open field runner I have ever seen. His yards are against the best players in the state. The level of competition isnt even comparable. I dont think hes even played much past the 2nd quarter in many games. How many rushes do each player have? I would like to see this Hurd kid if hes that good. Sounds very impressive.

The following teams on Ensworth's schedule would finish in the bottom half on 9AAA:

Lex Cath- I've lived in Ky. Outside of Trinity, Saint X, Boyle Co and Highlands, Ky high school football is light years behind TN.

Raliegh Eygpt- 1-4 with 4 blowouts

BGA- Barely beat winless Ravenwood, barely beat a bad Pearl Cohn team, barely beat a 1 win East Lit team.

JP2- Don't get me started on these guys. You go there if you know you'll never see the field at Beech and Hendersonville.

Father Ryan- 2-3, lost to Hillwood.....seriously? Hillwood?

My point is, Ensworth plays against some great teams, but they also play their fair share of cream puffs. You make it sound as if Ensworth plays nothing but teams that are loaded with future SEC stars every week. Simply not true.

No disrespect to Lexington Catholic; but they are a 4A school and should not beconsidered the same level of competition as Henry County, Mt Juliet, East St Louis or Ridgway. I live in Lexington and am very familiar with them.( i moved to Lexington from Mt Juliet last year. ) They do have a good team; but not like these others.

Thanks BKisler. When I looked at Ensworth's schedule on CoachT I saw it say that the game was a 'Blugrass Showcase' on ESPNU and I just made an assumption. Looking at the score it seems that your assesment my be on point. That even makes my confirms my perspective even more.

The following teams on Ensworth's schedule would finish in the bottom half on 9AAA:

Lex Cath- I've lived in Ky. Outside of Trinity, Saint X, Boyle Co and Highlands, Ky high school football is light years behind TN.

Raliegh Eygpt- 1-4 with 4 blowouts

BGA- Barely beat winless Ravenwood, barely beat a bad Pearl Cohn team, barely beat a 1 win East Lit team.

JP2- Don't get me started on these guys. You go there if you know you'll never see the field at Beech and Hendersonville.

Father Ryan- 2-3, lost to Hillwood.....seriously? Hillwood?

My point is, Ensworth plays against some great teams, but they also play their fair share of cream puffs. You make it sound as if Ensworth plays nothing but teams that are loaded with future SEC stars every week. Simply not true.

Thanks Tandem for your perspective. That further cements my conviction in this matter.

OK ... NEXT!

Thanks BKisler. When I looked at Ensworth's schedule on CoachT I saw it say that the game was a 'Blugrass Showcase' on ESPNU and I just made an assumption. Looking at the score it seems that your assesment my be on point. That even makes my confirms my perspective even more.

KWC, when I saw this game listed as a Bluegrass Showcase; I couldn't believe it. As Tandem stated; you have about a half a dozen very good programs in KY. ( and I grew up there ). I thought Ensworth should be playing Trinty if they want tp play the top KY school; not a 4A school. That would be like Whitehaven playing Dresden. No disrespect to Dresden; but it would not be a game.

As for Mr. Dodson; he is impressive.