Playoff Picture after Week 5

Gerry Bertier

It's that time of year again where we start looking forward to playoff match-ups. This is a little early but it seems like everyone is eager to see where they stand. A couple of things. First remember if a team finishes 1st or 2nd in their district they get an automatic spot. For example this week Pearl Cohn sits at (2-4) but 2nd in their district so they are in. Also once seeding starts, district winners first, then runner-ups then wild cards. There are a lot of district games yet to be played so this is going to change a lot over the next couple of weeks. Now that some of the tiebreakers may not be correct because I didn't fill like doing all the work, but I am 99% confident that the teams listed would be in if the playoffs started today. If I make a mistake or have a question, don't hesitate to point it out or ask.

Pod 1

1 Chuckey Doak

8 Unicoi Co

4 Cumberland Gap

5 Johnson Co.

3 CAK

6 Sullivan North

2 Elizabethton

7 Gatlinburg Pittman

Pod 2

1 Alcoa

8 McMinn Central

4 Tyner

5 Kingston

3 York Institute

6 Sweetwater

2 Polk Co.

7 Hixson

Pod 3

1 Cheatham Co.

8 Upperman

4 Fairview

5 Smith Co.

3 Pearl Cohn

6 Westmoreland

2 CPA

7 East Hickman

Pod 4

1 Manassas

8 Westview

4 Waverly

5 Hickman Co.

3 South Gibson

6 Milan

2 JCM

7 Camden

Edited by Gerry Bertier

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's that time of year again where we start looking forward to playoff match-ups. This is a little early but it seems like everyone is eager to see where they stand. A couple of things. First remember if a team finishes 1st or 2nd in their district they get an automatic spot. For example this week Pearl Cohn sits at (2-4) but 2nd in their district so they are in. Also once seeding starts, district winners first, then runner-ups then wild cards. There are a lot of district games yet to be played so this is going to change a lot over the next couple of weeks. Now that some of the tiebreakers may not be correct because I didn't fill like doing all the work, but I am 99% confident that the teams listed would be in if the playoffs started today. If I make a mistake or have a question, don't hesitate to point it out or ask.

Pod 1

1 CAK

8 Unicoi Co

4 Cumberland Gap

5 Johnson Co.

3 Elizabethton

6 Sullivan North

2 Chuckey Doak

7 Gatlinburg Pittman

Pod 2

1 Alcoa

8 McMinn Central

4 Tyner

5 Kingston

3 York Institute

6 Sweetwater

2 Polk Co.

7 Hixson

Pod 3

1 Cheatham Co.

8 Upperman

4 Fairview

5 Smith Co.

3 Pearl Cohn

6 Westmoreland

2 CPA

7 East Hickman

Pod 4

1 Manassas

8 Westview

4 Waverly

5 Hickman Co.

3 South Gibson

6 Milan

2 JCM

7 Camden

when could you look at 4A ?

If CAK & Alcoa end up in different Quads, that will be a first. But it appears that is a real possibility this year. Since we are from the same district and end the regular season playing against each other in week 10, I would welcome the change of scenery, plus we couldn't see each other again for at least 4 weeks. Other than Elizabethton & GP, we haven't played any of the Quad 1 schools before, so it would be a fresh challenge.

I did mine based off of overall records because those #1 and #2 spots in the districts don't get settled until teams start clinching in weeks 8, 9, an 10.

I see where Hixson is listed as Class 3A as well. Did they start out the 2009 season as 4A and then make the drop to 3A in 2011?

Edited by howdoitknow2

You are probably right about S. Gibson being a 3 seed in quad 4. In fact I would love for my Dawgs to see them again in the 1st round and get some revenge. However, the are 5-0 and undefeated in the district. How would they not be a 1 or 2 seed???

I had South Gibson finishing 2nd to Covington right now. So JCM an Manassass are currently in 1st in their district. Like howdoitknow said a lot in district races will change, I was just trying an educated guess.

I had South Gibson finishing 2nd to Covington right now. So JCM an Manassass are currently in 1st in their district. Like howdoitknow said a lot in district races will change, I was just trying an educated guess.

Because S.Gibson and Covington do not play, there may be a 2 way tie for the district title. How would that work in the playoffs???