Name the best coaches ever in TN HS FB history

SweetScience

On 2/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, Lost Old Dad said:

Ron Aydelott!  HA, you are kidding right?

Got lucky one year at Hillsboro when he did not have to play Quarles and won ONE Gold Ball with an all star team from METRO Nashville.

R'dale he took one of the Best programs in the State and destroyed it over a 10 year period where a GOOD Principal would have fired him in year 5!

Now is Coaching a Middle School or is it a Pee Wee team?

Everybody can’t coach athletes. It’s tougher than what most think.

On 2/24/2021 at 8:22 PM, SweetScience said:

It was 51-0, get that a$& whipping right, Willie. Lol. In all seriousness though, that was probably the worst beat down I’ve ever seen an Oak Ridge team take. That defeat also probably did in poor Coach Bill Young, because Gaddis was hired for his first tenure @ OR the year after.

That was one of the only games I ever left before it was over, well it was early in the 4th quarter but it was over!

You can't hide history. From 1927 to 1950 Wilson Collins and Sam Jones coached the old Knoxville High to 9 State Championships and 3 National Championships in a 24 year span. Wilson Collins a former MLB Player with the old Boston Braves took over the coaching at Knoxville High in 1927 with one assistant Sam Jones and ran up 6 State Titles and 3 National Championships. Collins had a 132-21-4 record at Knoxville High until 1940 his last season. Knoxville High had always played their games at at Caswell Park on Winona Street until they moved into their new stadium named after long time principal W.E. Evans and Wilson Collins in 1940. Coach Collins died in the winter of 1941of a heart attack leaving Sam Jones to take over as head coach. Two big names out of Knoxville High during that era were Johnny Butler and Herman Ramsey. Knoxville played teams from Louisville,Ky., Miami Fl., Asheville N.C and Atlanta which helped in the National Champion Rankings.

Wilson Collins Scan-001.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Edited by BarneySox2007

You can't hide history. Sam Jones took over head coaching duties at Knoxville High after the sudden death of Wilson Collins in 1941 and 1942 taking leave for military duties and returning in 1946 until the last year of the high school in 1950. Coach Bill Cox took over in 43-44 and 45 and won two state championships with a 25-3-4 record until Coach Jones was released from service after 1945. Sam Jones had a 67-11-1 record with one state title in 1942. All three coaches had a 24 year record of 225-35-9. Sam Jones is pictured in the center with left to right assistant coach Charles Moffett who became East High's first head Football coach from 51-54. Next is James Reasonover who took over the East job in 1955 through 1958. On the right side of Jones is B.E. sharp who became Webb High Schools first football coach in 1959 and 60. On the end is Buford Bible who was South High Schools first head football coach from 1951 until 1953.

Scan-001(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&f

Edited by BarneySox2007

Evans-Collins Field was located right next to the old Bill Meyer Stadium which most are still familiar with which was built in 1940 which was home field for Knoxville High and also shared by Rule High, Austin High and Stair Tech. In the end after Knoxville High the city didn't build most of the new schools a field with their schools which they all shared Evans -Collins Field for many years right into the early to mid 60's. The field was in constant use from Thursday till Saturday in those days. Rule was the very last school to get a new field in 1971. Austin-East used the field also until the early 70's when a field was built for their campus. Catholic which was located on Magnolia Avenue at the time used Evans-Collins Field as their home until 2001 before their move to West Knoxville. The stadium after 62 years was torn down for new softball fields.

thumbnail_(35).jpg?width=1920&height=108

Edited by BarneySox2007

21 minutes ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Barney, Thank You for the history.  One has to study it before we lose it.  What you shared with us I had never heard of.

We also have to realize these records were accomplished when we had segregated schools.

BTW is there anyplace that has the Black High schools accomplishments?  I take it they also had state champions?

The one thing that helped me on the Knoxville High info was a book written about the school which I bought from someone a long time ago. I used to go to yard sales and pick up old yearbooks for nothing which have been helpful. Old newspapers have been a wealth of info. The black schools were few and far in between. Back in the old days it was up to the schools to report to the paper about the games which some did and some didn't. My reasoning for the Knoxville High Story is really how it set up the schools we have today and for some to realize they were a national powerhouse of that time period. Chattanooga Central, Kingsport and Oak Ridge have had their day in the sun years ago also.

8 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Evans-Collins Field was located right next to the old Bill Meyer Stadium which most are still familiar with which was built in 1940 which was home field for Knoxville High and also shared by Rule High, Austin High and Stair Tech. In the end after Knoxville High the city didn't build most of the new schools a field with their schools which they all shared Evans -Collins Field for many years right into the early to mid 60's. The field was in constant use from Thursday till Saturday in those days. Rule was the very last school to get a new field in 1971. Austin-East used the field also until the early 70's when a field was built for their campus. Catholic which was located on Magnolia Avenue at the time used Evans-Collins Field as their home until 2001 before their move to West Knoxville. The stadium after 62 years was torn down for new softball fields.

thumbnail_(35).jpg?width=1920&height=108

THANK YOU BARNEY! Wow, Maryville fans are educating us all and I love it.

My first thought of Bill Meyer Stadium was going there on $.25 beer night and the Huntsville A's It was around 1983 and I was a student at UTK. Huntsville had both Jose Consaco and Mark Mac. I got so toasted I started heckeling Jose. Everytime I saw him on the field I would chant, " Jose and the ###### Cats suck." The only reaction he gave me was a smile.

On 2/28/2021 at 10:07 PM, WilleTheWildcat said:

THANK YOU BARNEY! Wow, Maryville fans are educating us all and I love it.

Willie Oak Ridge Football has a connection to Knoxville High School by means of Buist {Buzz) Warren who coached Oak Ridge from 48-51. Buist Warren led Tennessee to the 1941 Sugar Bowl game. After the death of Wilson Collins at Knoxville High Sam Jones took over the Head coaching job in 1941 and hired Buist Warren as his first assistant coach. When WWII broke out Warren went into the Navy and when he returned in 45 the Head coach at the time Bill Cox already had his assistant coach from the years before so Warren entered the NFL and quarterbacked the Pittsburg Steelers in 1945. In 1948 he was named Head coach at Oak Ridge staying until the 1951 season.. In 1941 at Knoxville High Jones and Warren coached the Trojans to a 12-1 record losing to Knox Central in the famous Thanksgiving Bowl at UT every year.

20210301_195900-001.jpg?width=1920&heigh

Edited by BarneySox2007
  • Like 1