Name the best coaches ever in TN HS FB history

SweetScience

There are a lot of fine coaches in the history of Tennessee high school football.Hands down ,I don't know if any coach could be put in the same sentence with George Quarles ,atleast from the last several decades.I might have missed a couple quickly reading through this but in case they were not brought up ,I'll speak about a few coaches  that like Batman,have some Greeneville history.Coach Bill Horton was there when I played and went on to become a very good head coach at Rhea county. Coach Caine ballard done an awesome job taking the Devils to uncharted territory with the state championships.Another is a throw back to a long time ago. Not just a coach but one of UT's toughest players ever under General Neyland.Leonard Coffman.Believe me,even as an old man, nobody messed with him and that's why I'll throw his name in there. 

On 9/29/2012 at 12:14 AM, DHSFB64 said:

Robert Lassiter..back in the day 1955-1978 at Brownsville (Haywood County now )...lost only a handfull of game during his time three...

Rufus Lassiter coached at Haywood from 1971-1985.  His record at Haywood was 110-47-3 for a winning percentage of 69%.  

I would definitely put Haywood coach John Hooper on the list.  Hooper coached at Haywood from 1955-1970.  I don't know Coach Hooper's overall coaching record, but he had a 140-28-2 record at Haywood for a winning percentage of 83%.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:44 PM, tradertwo said:

We can debate coaches all year and most will agree on a few, but most top ten lists will vary. Whiskey maker isn't debatable. I have a picture with one of Popcorn's stills (while he was still with us) but none of the likker. My wife's cousin was married to Popcorn's neighbor at the time, and I placed an order for two quarts... before he could acquire them Popcorn rode off in the model t and didn't come back... BUMMER!!!

If you ever make to the Boro, call me and I might 'find' a shot for you to taste.  Two of his still hands have duplicated his recipie and are still selling it.  I have had a taste of it and it is the same.

4 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

If you ever make to the Boro, call me and I might 'find' a shot for you to taste.  Two of his still hands have duplicated his recipie and are still selling it.  I have had a taste of it and it is the same.

LOL!!! I wouldn't have dreamed of drinking it... just wanted to keep some "lightning in a bottle" that was the genuine article. Thanks for the offer too, I'm not a drinker (no objection to those who indulge), but wouldn't turn a swig down from even a "replica".

Only reason I have any 'for medicinal purposes' is I got the little bottle from my Chaplin (he was NOT a drinker) and I took the bottle from my SgtMajor.  He is a full blooded Apache Indian and gets stupid, nasty mean if he even tastes Moonshine.  Man is fine with beer, but moonshine and I would have had to put him under arrest and bust him.  As he is also my Daughters God Father, that would have been more trouble than I wanted!  LOL

10 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Only reason I have any 'for medicinal purposes' is I got the little bottle from my Chaplin (he was NOT a drinker) and I took the bottle from my SgtMajor.  He is a full blooded Apache Indian and gets stupid, nasty mean if he even tastes Moonshine.  Man is fine with beer, but moonshine and I would have had to put him under arrest and bust him.  As he is also my Daughters God Father, that would have been more trouble than I wanted!  LOL

Couldn't help But think of one of my uncles who was  very proud of his Native American heritage..

Edited by BatmanDB