Farragut at Maryville

MHS82

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44, Farragut's defense made 2 crucial personal foul penalties that gave Bearden first and goal and resulted in 2 touchdowns. I'm sure you're gonna blame Courtney for those as well.

Not necessarily, (Incidentally, I did not single out coach Courtney as a sole reason for the loss; I just mentioned what he said about the offensive line in the media. At the same time, now that you mention it, he does primarily coordinate the defense – right?) this was an emotional game between two longtime rivals. Both staffs were fully aware of that going into the game; both sides had personal foul penalties. Furthermore, defensive pass interference penalties against Farragut, one of which was highly questionable, certainly provided additional aid to the Bearden offense during 4th quarter drives. However, I certainly think the coaches have at least some measure of culpability in all of that because, in my opinion, it never should have come to that. Had Farragut focused on the running game, fully exhausted the 25 second clock on each play, the defense would most assuredly not have been on the field so frequently during the last 6 minutes of regulation.

The defense played solid football for nearly 3 1/2 quarters. Aside from one long TD, they did well against the run. They chased and harassed the Bearden QB, forced early throws, and even dropped him behind the line on more than one occasion. Unfortunately, the defense was gassed at the end of regulation; I think we have all seen mistakes, e.g. penalties and missed tackles, accumulate when a defense is tired.

You posted, "Farragut gave the Bearden game away." I agree with you. There were obviously multiple factors that led to this loss. You mentioned the penalties. One could also argue that the Farragut offense squandered multiple opportunities in the 2nd half to take a 3 score lead, which would have made it nearly impossible for Bearden to come back. I just think by far the greater measure of the "giving" you mentioned was attributable to the coaching staff.

Given the specific game situations in that particular game, I thought Farragut's offensive playcalling during the last 6 minutes of regulation contributed significantly to tiring the Farragut defense while simultaneously providing Bearden with additional unnecessary opportunities. I was not the only one that felt that way. Others seated around me felt the same. (A buddy of mine commented how tired the Bearden defensive front looked just prior to Fain's 91 yard TD run.) Farragut had a two touchdown lead; they should have been running the football, resting the defense, exhausting the play clock, and chewing up the game clock. That is my opinion. You are certainly entitled to feel differently.

Edited by Former44

No defense by either ??..surprized ,maybe the fall break is reason..happens most everywhere ..wish they'd do away with it..no band less crowd, and on Thursday didnt help either, however was happy to view on TSSAA site...Stars not a heavy load of of gerbige ole buddy ..Maryville offensive schemes are awesome and much smaller defensive players on D getting it the right way

Went to the 2nd half after i got off work. For Farragut, Jackson Fain continues to impress me. He reminds me so much of Spencer Gulmire for OR back in 2005. Same build, same running style, and both tough as bulls. I knew Maryville would eat up Farragut's secondary. OR had a chance to, but couldn't because we couldn't complete the deep passes against the Ads, but we got behind them allllll night long. Their D is their downfall. If if if Farragut had a D they'd be a very good team, too bad they don't.

Farrah-Gut did a good job ov hittin' big plays quick off Mairvul ternovurs....Farrah-Gut kept onn pickin' onn a weeknuss and did a good job...

Nick Myers wuz dead on onn tha deap passes....Myers balls skilz with tha play acshun wuz vurry good.....Mairvul ended upp with ovur 640 yards....

Steal got thangs two werk onn...And eye don't thank ennybodee got hert sirryuslee....popcorneater.gif

A Defensive Struggle .... or was it a Struggle to play Defense ?? A win is a win ...Nick Meyers looked great tonight , he looks a lot more decisive doing his reads and he really has turned into a good running threat now too . I was a little nervous watching him on Defense but maybe Nick and Trenton Shuler can help our defense out as the season goes on . Nick spread it around to several Receivers but Cody Carroll was on fire tonight , I would guess Cody had close to 150 yds receiving .

Our defense can get better and I'm sure these young men and our Coaches are going to put in the work it will take to do it

GO Rebels !!