Best Coaches

howdoitknow

Coach Trapp definitely has the community involved and believing. It's weird how you can look back and actually see the transition that has been made. People pack the stadium home or away now believing we will win and against good quality opponents believe we are as good as they are. I remember a time when you would ask someone if they were going to the game and they'd say what's the point?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cody Finley Cheatham Co. HS

Cody Finley- Took over the head coaching position at Cheatham Co. In 2002. The previous yr the cubs had a terrible season at 0-10, and under finley's first yr of direction the cubs dropped classifications to 3A and went 2-8. The 2 following yrs coach Finley implemented his transformation of the Cheatham County football program, his. 2nd yr he went 5-6 and made it to the state playoffs for the first time in yrs. after just 3 yrs in the driver seat Finley took his under talented team to a 6-0 start and another playoff appearance. Since then Cody Finley has made 7 playoff apperances in the last 11 yrs. and this yr will make his 8th. He and his staff are off to the schools best start at 7-0. Great coach, Great staff, even better man! 2012 class 3A coach of the yr.

How is Witten as a coach. We hear a lot about elizabethon down this way, but I am anxious to hear what makes him such a good coach? I know they have a ton of talent coming through that school, is he a great motivator? X's and O's? Game manager?

I don't know all the details except from what I see on the field so another EHS fan will have more of an insider opinion. I do know he takes what he has and makes it work. This season is an example of that, we have a non-existent passing game so he structured the offense around 3 core HBs that are rotated so they don't tire out. We've won 6 straight with the same style so what he has done has worked. I know he's a disciplined coach who stresses team discipline. There was a rumor at one point that he was gonna leave either last season or this season because he was tired of all the player attitude and drama etc. etc.

Coach Trapp at Dekalb! Very good coach. He has turned around a program that was considered a joke!! He has got the whole community involved and is teaching the kids great values for life!! Thank you Coach for all you do for the kids. TIGER PRIDE

These are the coaches that I love to hear about. Sounds like a man who has his priorities straight and is doing a great job with these kids and the community. Good luck the rest of the season.

Figured you'd be singing Rankin's praises after all the talk about the effects of what that Tornado did to you.

well, there can only be ONE best...can i call rankin 1b? ( Ballard, George and Rankin all up there together) and that's not to slight anyone else. there's a ton of great coaches in east tennessee i think....i just happen to think those 3 are tops. im sure every coach can bring a good argument to the table for why he is the best...well, save for ONE coach that coaches at a level slightly higher than HS and has yet to beat a ranked team....hehehe ( get well soon DD)

I can only speak for northeast tn but if I had to have one coach for my team for the year it would be Jeremy Jenkins at Boone. They overachieve every year, they play so hard, great schemes, and compete with the big schools (DB). Wins and losses fluxuate with talent, but good coaches establish programs for when the talent level is low and that is what I see every time I watch Daniel Boone play, a well ran program.

darn good candidate. Jenkins does do all that and does it well and seemingly with some humility...good call....see, there's soooooo many good coaches around here...can we just call it a tie between most and congratulate them on the great job most of them do mentoring our young kids..that's what im most proud of with ballard. you talk to any of those kids and its always, yes sir, no sir, thank you sir...in fact, every kid ive ever chatted with in greene county appears to be well manored. must be something in this Greene air.

darn good candidate. Jenkins does do all that and does it well and seemingly with some humility...good call....see, there's soooooo many good coaches around here...can we just call it a tie between most and congratulate them on the great job most of them do mentoring our young kids..that's what im most proud of with ballard. you talk to any of those kids and its always, yes sir, no sir, thank you sir...in fact, every kid ive ever chatted with in greene county appears to be well manored. must be something in this Greene air.

WELL IM GONNA PUT MY TWO CENTS IN ALSO - THESE DAYS ANYONE WHOM CAN JUGGLE THERE FAMILY LIFE AND COACHING FOOTBALL IN MY BOOK ARE A1 + COACHES THE TIME SPENT AWAY FROM THERE FAMILYS AND THE TIME THAT SOME PUT IN - AND THE PATIENCE THAT THEY HAVE TO xzibit AT SCHOOL AND AT HOME MUST BE OVERWELLMING AT TIMES - COULD I DO IT NO I WOULD BE THROW OUT EVERY GAME OR DIE FROM A HEART ATTACK! MY HAT GOES OFF TO THE GREAT GUYS WHOM GIVE THERE TIME FOR OUR CHILDREN OFF AND ON THE FIELD , I KNOW THAT SOMETIMES WE QUESTION THEM (THE COACHES) BUT LETS PUT OURSELFS IN THERE PLACE COULD WE OR WOULD WE TAKE EVEN 1/2 THE CRAP THAT THEY TAKE - THERE ARE GOOD ONE'S AND THERE ARE BAD ONES - THERE ARE SOME THAT GO ON TO BE RADIO ANNOUNCER'S AT LOCAL RADIO STATIONS FOR FRI NIGHT BALLGAMES EXAMPLE AN OLD BALLCOACH THAT USED TO COACH AT WEST GREENE NOT GONNA CALL OUT ANY NAMES BUT HE IS ABOUT AS FUNNY ON THE RADIO AS HE WAS A COACH

Cody Finley- Took over the head coaching position at Cheatham Co. In 2002. The previous yr the cubs had a terrible season at 0-10, and under finley's first yr of direction the cubs dropped classifications to 3A and went 2-8. The 2 following yrs coach Finley implemented his transformation of the Cheatham County football program, his. 2nd yr he went 5-6 and made it to the state playoffs for the first time in yrs. after just 3 yrs in the driver seat Finley took his under talented team to a 6-0 start and another playoff appearance. Since then Cody Finley has made 7 playoff apperances in the last 11 yrs. and this yr will make his 8th. He and his staff are off to the schools best start at 7-0. Great coach, Great staff, even better man! 2012 class 3A coach of the yr.

Great post CUBSPR however Cody Finley's first season as Cubs head football coach was in 2002 (not 2001). In 2000 the Cubs were 0-10 in their final season in 4A. In 2001, when the Cubs dropped to 3A, they did go 2-8. That was Jeremy Boyd's final season as head football coach. Finley took over in 2002 and has guided the Cubs to the TSSAA State Playoffs 7 times in 10 seasons as head coach. This season will make that number 8 times in 11 seasons.

Finley served as an assistant coach at Dyer County High School through the 1996 season. In 1997 he was hired by then Cubs head football coach Tommy Tharp. He served as an assistant under Tharp as well as former Cubs head coach Walt Randolph from 1997-1999. In 2000 Finley was the head football coach at T.P.S. in Nashville. He was the Busters head coach for 1 season (went 1-8 that season). In 2001 Finley returned to Cheatham County and served as an assistant under former head coach Jeremy Boyd before he took over as head coach in 2002. Finley's current overall mark at Cheatham stands at 62-54.

I believe Marshall Winkler, 1995-2004 as head football coach, guided the Harpeth Indians to the TSSAA State Playoffs 8 times in 10 seasons. He resigned following an 0-10 campaign in '04 and now serves as an assistant on the coaching staff at Franklin High School.