South Pittsburg against Polk (Grider against this Davis man)

Roy Dillard

Just got back from Benton. Congrats to the Pirates on a come from behind win. The pirates battled 4 turnovers, bad officiating, and questionable play calling and still came back and won. SP needs to feed " Big Man" Johnson the ball. Yes I changed his nickname. He needs at least 20 touches a game. We need to keep doing what we do running the ball and throw the ball 7 times or less a game. Bottom line, we got to keep working hard and getting better each week. It is almost time to start the real season. Pirates have another tough game next week against the new #1 ranked Knox Grace after Boyd lost. Congrats to Demetric, Stone, Mckenna Blevins and Khalil Mitchell on playing a heck of a game and rallying the troops for a W!

I said months ago 8-2 was SP ceiling this year.....It's looking like 7-3 is likely the outcome but I said long ago I thought they would get this one...Next week though???? Well time to find out if these people in my ear are correct and Knox Grace are as good as advertised. In the Knox area word is their coaches really are not concerned about SP nor have they been all season. Time will tell I suppose. Should be interesting though. Great to hear D manned up and played ball. Still surprised it was that low a scoring game. Sounds like Johnson keeps ballin!

I don't know what Grider was doing. Johnson had 5 carries for 82 yards in the first half. Got a few more touches in the second half and well over 150 yards so maybe he was resting him to wear Polk down in the second half but it almost

backfired. All the backs actually ran well and our

passing game was decent.

Yes, it was nice to see them pass as they have not used it much but it could be needed come playoff time!

Edited by 855fan

One of the classiest coaches ever is coach Davis. Great job at the end. This is not sarcastic so please don't think that. This is the truth.

Yes, I heard at the end how he went over & shook Vic's hand to end the game due to the malfunctioning clock about causing Vic to blow a gasket. He IS a class act!

Roy I met captain jack sparrow aka the davis man last night. This guy is first class let me tell ya.I enjoyed the game very much and for those who didnt make the trip you missed the best defensive performance all year. I want comment on the officiating but i would be curios to get some perspective on that from the polk fans if they felt all those illegal procedure and defense offside calls were legit. If they were they were but im not sure my self.Anyways Polk is right up ghere at there topof my list for teams i hate and love to play! One thing i got to say there are a.lot of coaches out there who should.enroll in Mr.Davis's coaching zchool cause he is GRADE A IM MY BOOK. Polk county you guys are great and have. Very talented physical disciplined team. Coach Davis keep that mustache growing lol and it was great meeting you after tbe game! My apologies for the typing and grammar but the droid is not helping none.

Old Pirate says congrats to the Pirates on the "W" and to Polk for a great game. The PIrates have had their share of teams with big bruisers as RBs, Signal,Jasper and Polk that should help prepare them for the tough road ahead come playoffs. It leaves OP scratching his head every week how the Pirates continue to make the bonehead mistakes over & over & over & over,week after week after week after week. "IF" this Pirate team is to have a legitmate chance at getting back to the "Big Dance" they had better fix it MONDAY! The truth is this Pirate team does more to beat themselves than their opponants have this year. Can't line up properly, line up off sides, don't know theys suppose to be in the game, can't catch, can't hold on to the football, can't tackle, OP thinks you get the picture! Figure it is time coach Vic holds this bunch for detention and make them work overtime cause it's going to kill them when there is No Tomorrow comes playoffs.

Now for the positives, the Pirates showed they have plenty of gunpowder if they can do some of the other things correctly. The come from behind showed charcter and resolve to refuse to lose.

Congratulations to the Pirates. This was a great game. Both teams should hold their heads up for playing hard, both teams should see the opportunitty to get better. There were alot of mistakes on both sides of the ball, especially during the first half. If either team had eliminated their first half turnovers this would have been a different game. Good luck to the Pirates in week 10 and in the playoffs. For Polk, y'all go to Meigs, stay healthy, don't be baited into bad sportsmanship by them Decatur boys, and get ready for the toughest Quad in 3A.

I want comment on the officiating but i would be curios to get some perspective on that from the polk fans if they felt all those illegal procedure and defense offside calls were legit. If they were they were but im not sure my self.

Here's my perspective of officiating in general and officiating in this game.

I don't complain about officiating, I may disagree with a missed call, but you can't complain about holds or illegal blocks or things that you can't see. Because you can't be looking at everything that 5 or 6 officials are looking at. There were a few calls when Polk visited Signal, series extending calls on 4th down stops, but did you read anything about that? I don't think it was mentioned on here. Complaining about refs on here just makes you look like a whiner, because there are just as many folks that see things the opposite way you did.

As for last night... what part of offsides can you argue. You guys jumped on the hard count 5 or 6 times, those are pretty simple calls. Illegal procedure or illegal formation are easy too, y'all ahd 3 or 4 of those. But I don't know, I don't check every formation, do you? I did see the 11th man running toward the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped on the extra point, I did see #4 throw a forearm to the head of a running back that had been tackled and the whistle had blown. SP's crowd, all 100 of them, were booing on a kick that went out of bounds thinking it was touched and the play was on the home side, I assure you, that ball was atleast 5 feet from being touched. I think y'all benefited from an interference call, the ball was tipped by the DB in front of the WR before the other DB hit him. It could have been called unnecessary roughness for launching or helmet to helmet, but it wasn't interference.

Sorry for the length of this, but I don't like whining about the refs, play the game with sound fundamentals and take it out of their hands.

Edited by Charlie Murphy

Congratulations to the Pirates. This was a great game. Both teams should hold their heads up for playing hard, both teams should see the opportunitty to get better. There were alot of mistakes on both sides of the ball, especially during the first half. If either team had eliminated their first half turnovers this would have been a different game. Good luck to the Pirates in week 10 and in the playoffs. For Polk, y'all go to Meigs, stay healthy, don't be baited into bad sportsmanship by them Decatur boys, and get ready for the toughest Quad in 3A.

Here's my perspective of officiating in general and officiating in this game.

I don't complain about officiating, I may disagree with a missed call, but you can't complain about holds or illegal blocks or things that you can't see. Because you can't be looking at everything that 5 or 6 officials are looking at. There were a few calls when Polk visited Signal, series extending calls on 4th down stops, but did you read anything about that? I don't think it was mentioned on here. Complaining about refs on here just makes you look like a whiner, because there are just as many folks that see things the opposite way you did.

As for last night... what part of offsides can you argue. You guys jumped on the hard count 5 or 6 times, those are pretty simple calls. Illegal procedure or illegal formation are easy too, y'all ahd 3 or 4 of those. But I don't know, I don't check every formation, do you? I did see the 11th man running toward the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped on the extra point, I did see #4 throw a forearm to the head of a running back that had been tackled and the whistle had blown. SP's crowd, all 100 of them, were booing on a kick that went out of bounds thinking it was touched and the play was on the home side, I assure you, that ball was atleast 5 feet from being touched. I think y'all benefited from an interference call, the ball was tipped by the DB in front of the WR before the other DB hit him. It could have been called unnecessary roughness for launching or helmet to helmet, but it wasn't interference.

Sorry for the length of this, but I don't like whining about the refs, play the game with sound fundamentals and take it out of their hands.

That interference call was for a hit to the head not interference. The ref said the wrong one. The pirates should have won the game by 21. However, I would have taken a 1 point win. Win is a win. Polk needs their qb back if they want to try to do something in the playoffs. That boy last night tried hard, but you can see he was not the main fella.

That interference call was for a hit to the head not interference. The ref said the wrong one.

That was a legitimate call then. I completely agree, it was helmet to helmet.

The pirates should could have won the game by 21. However, I would have taken a 1 point win. Win is a win.

I fixed that for you... Polk could have won by 7 or 14...That was the point of my comment, If either team had eliminated the first half turonovers it would have been a different game,, either way.

Edited by Charlie Murphy