New 3A Powerhouse

Bigbadwolf

I am talking about the future for Milan. I saw the Milan freshmen team play, not very good at all. (No offense). You half to make a 28 point comeback against Haywood. (Haywood put up 6 aginst JCM). IMO I believe South Gibson and Peabody are the 2 teams that have brightest futures in Gibson Co. Look down the road, class of 2016, 2017, and 2018. That's what I am talking about.

Ok..... let's talk about the freshman team. When I played ball in Milan, my middle school team went 1-6. My freshman year, we were 2-6. My senior year 1998..... Milan went 13-2 and state champs. So come on and keep the reasons coming. This is fun!!!

A couple of thoughts. I feel bad somewhat the way this turned out. It was clear that the SG posters were HS kids. They were super excited about the quick success their program had seen. Coming from CAK where we have only had a program for about a decade, but had to contend with the 400lb gorilla right in our back yard (Alcoa), I understand that until they had a chance to go up against some of the best of 3A, it is hard for them not to assume that they would do the same thing to Alcoa that they had done to their opponents all year. Sometimes people just don't understand when you tell them, "yes, but Alcoa is just at a different level than the rest of 3A." They clearly caught a powerhouse program in Milan in a situation with injuries and suspension which affected the outcome of that game. But you can't blame these kids too much for not fully understanding what it takes to win a championship.

Best of luck to SG in building their program. You have truly made remarkable progress in a very short time. If you keep working this hard, you will get your crack at a championship in time. Gohornets is clearly an articulate and bright poster.

Edited by Govolsknox

A couple of thoughts. I feel bad somewhat the way this turned out. It was clear that the SG posters were HS kids. They were super excited about the quick success their program had seen. Coming from CAK where we have only had a program for about a decade, but had to contend with the 400lb gorilla right in our back yard (Alcoa), I understand that until they had a chance to go up against some of the best of 3A, it is hard for them not to assume that they would do the same thing to Alcoa that they had done to their opponents all year. Sometimes people just don't understand when you tell them, "yes, but Alcoa is just at a different level than the rest of 3A." They clearly caught a powerhouse program in Milan in a situation with injuries and suspension which affected the outcome of that game. But you can't blame these kids too much for not fully understanding what it takes to win a championship.

Best of luck to SG in building their program. You have truly made remarkable progress in a very short time. If you keep working this hard, you will get your crack at a championship in time. Gohornets is clearly an articulate and bright poster.

I agree with most of what you said!!!

The current bulldog coaching staff is 6-0 vs Henry Co.

True, but look at the years they played us. Every year from 1999-2004, which just so happens to be the worst 6 year stretch in HC history. What makes it even funnier is that 6 year stretch is sandwiched between two periods of very good HC football. There was no Milan on our schedule from 1989-1997 when HC was "up". And there hasn't been a Milan on the schedule from 2005-present since HC has been "up".

It's an odd coincidence, wouldn't you say?

Edited by MSURacer

True, but look at the years they played us. Every year from 1999-2004, which just so happens to be the worst 6 year stretch in HC history. What makes it even funnier is that 6 year stretch is sandwiched between two periods of very good HC football. There was no Milan on our schedule from 1989-1997 when HC was "up". And there hasn't been a Milan on the schedule from 2005-present since HC has been "up".

Milan is 15-0 vs Henry County, I guess we got kinda of tired of waiting for you

to get good. Shouldn't you be on the basketball threads?

I know you will say it doesn't count but didn't Milan and henry co play in scrimmage at the beginning of this season..... If memory serves Milan won that one

I agree with you... Milan did play Henry Co. at a time when they weren't as good as other times. I wouldn't look too much into it though. Not saying we would reel off 6 in a row now. Just stating a fact. And juice made another good point. When is said 6-0, I was only referring to the current coaching staff. I didn't realize they were 15-0 all time.

Milan is 15-0 vs Henry County, I guess we got kinda of tired of waiting for you

to get good. Shouldn't you be on the basketball threads?

There was really no malice intended in my post. I have a lot of respect for Milan. They undoubtedly have the most storied tradition in West TN. I've just never understood why they only play us when we are down.

Yes, they are 15-0 against us, but what I stated in my first post is really just one example. Milan has never waited for us to be good, because as soon as we get good, they disappear from our schedule, and that is a fact. They played us several times in the early 70's when we were a brand new program, but disappeared from the schedule when we became good in the late 70's and early 80's. They reappeared for a couple of our down years in the 80's, and then vanished again when we became good in the late 80's and stayed away throughout the 90's until we fell on hard times again. We have definitely had our share of "upswings", so I don't buy the "we got sick of waiting around" argument.

And just so all the Milan fans know, I'm not downing your program. I've just always thought it would be a great rivalry for both communities.

Edited by MSURacer

I know you will say it doesn't count but didn't Milan and henry co play in scrimmage at the beginning of this season..... If memory serves Milan won that one

We have been scrimmaging Milan every year for a while now. And we win the majority of the time, even though they got us this last year. And you are right, I don't put much stock into scrimmages either way. I don't brag when we win them, and I don't complain when we lose them.

We have been scrimmaging Milan every year for a while now. And we win the majority of the time, even though they got us this last year. And you are right, I don't put much stock into scrimmages either way. I don't brag when we win them, and I don't complain when we lose them.

I'm with you Racer....... I think Milan and Henry Co. should play each other now while both teams are good. Regardless of the outcome, it could only make both teams better in the long run to play tougher competition. I also agree that Milan has jumped on and off Henry Co.'s schedule. However, I don't know if that is totally a decision made by Milan. As fans, we can only speculate as to why these two teams don't play currently. It could just as much be a decision made by Henry Co. as is Milan. One thing is for sure.... both teams are great programs and are not scared to line up against the teams on their schedule and hit them in the mouth!!! This attitude will keep both programs successful for a long period of time!!!!

I'm with you Racer....... I think Milan and Henry Co. should play each other now while both teams are good. Regardless of the outcome, it could only make both teams better in the long run to play tougher competition. I also agree that Milan has jumped on and off Henry Co.'s schedule. However, I don't know if that is totally a decision made by Milan. As fans, we can only speculate as to why these two teams don't play currently. It could just as much be a decision made by Henry Co. as is Milan. One thing is for sure.... both teams are great programs and are not scared to line up against the teams on their schedule and hit them in the mouth!!! This attitude will keep both programs successful for a long period of time!!!!

Agreed. Good luck the rest of the way.

There was really no malice intended in my post. I have a lot of respect for Milan. They undoubtedly have the most storied tradition in West TN. I've just never understood why they only play us when we are down.

Yes, they are 15-0 against us, but what I stated in my first post is really just one example. Milan has never waited for us to be good, because as soon as we get good, they disappear from our schedule, and that is a fact. They played us several times in the early 70's when we were a brand new program, but disappeared from the schedule when we became good in the late 70's and early 80's. They reappeared for a couple of our down years in the 80's, and then vanished again when we became good in the late 80's and stayed away throughout the 90's until we fell on hard times again. We have definitely had our share of "upswings", so I don't buy the "we got sick of waiting around" argument.

And just so all the Milan fans know, I'm not downing your program. I've just always thought it would be a great rivalry for both communities.

Maybe it was Henry County who decided not to play Milan. Why do all the Patriot

fans cry "you want play us when we're good"? That's pretty lame!