11-AA

tigers90

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't really impressed with either team last night. I will say that was not the same Ravenwood team that Waverly played last Friday.I guess it could have been because Cheatham was just that good, but I don't think that was the case. I think that after some very questionable calls, Ravenwood just kind of quit, but that's what happens when a team plays on the road. The big kid from Cheatham, # 50 looked like the best player on the floor, he will give all teams a lot of problems, other than him the overall matchups will be very even against the likes of Harpeth and Waverly. I think that if a team can control # 50, they will beat Cheatham. I guess Saunders must have had a bad game because he was a non factor. Can't wait until January gets here so we can see it all play out on the court.

If I am not mistaken at least a third of his points came in the final 3 or 4 minutes at the free throw line. I will say that he is pretty good from the line, definately the guy you want to have the ball at the end of a game. I was by no means dissing Saunders, I have watched him play over the past year and have the utmost respect for his game, I was just saying that the Ravenwood game was definately not his best, and maybe Ravenwood's defense on him had something to do with that. As far as the 88 points that Waverly gave up to Ravenwood, it was a very fast paced game, and believe it or not, there was actually some good defense played on both sides. If you are not aware, Waverly is averaging over 80 points a game, so that is the kind of game you are going to see when you play the Tigers. I guess that Cheatham's half court defense must have just gotten the best of Ravenwood. I can assure you that when Cheatham and Waverly play, it will be as fast paced as the Ravenwood - Waverly game. As far as the other Cheatham players that can step up and have big games, I would agree, they are a very talented bunch. I can't wait to see how all of the district games play out, it should be some good basketball.

I think the reason that people are responding so harshly to you Printdd is because the things you are saying aren't very accurate. Cheatham completely took Ravenwood out of their game the other night, and "very questionable calls" had nothing to do with them having 29 points going into the 4th quarter. Cheatham completely controlled the game throughout, and if they wouldn't have quit playing at the end of the game and made better decisions, would have won by 20 or more points easily.

As far as Saunders goes, he's faced gimmick defenses in his last two games, with Sycamore using a Diamond and 1 against him and Ravenwood starting in a Box and 1. Has any of Waverly's players garnered that much respect from anybody yet? I suppose not since they've played the likes of East Hickman, Perry County, and Houston County.

And that brings me to my next point...I understand that Waverly now has a very vaunted up pace game with a lot of scoring, but you've played a bunch of single-A teams that are down right terrible. Your only challenge on the year has been against Ravenwood who loves to score and play an up paced style as well, and you lost that game. So yes, everybody is aware of them averaging 80 points, but nobody is paying attention yet. Now if you go beat Beech and Dickson, or any other team that is a quality opponent, and you're averaging 80 points a game still, then people will start paying attention.

All that being said, I think Waverly is going to be a very tough team to beat and are very good, and the district race is clearly between them and Cheatham, but you can't say the things you're saying and not expect criticism for it. I definitely don't think Cheatham will "stomp" Waverly though, and that both games will be very good, intense battles. Good luck to both teams moving forward.

Let's not get carried away with predictions and smack talk on December 3rd. Things don't heat up in this district until January. Lot of basketball to be played.

The whole world can't go to heck in a hand basket if a couple of dedicated Harpeth fans don't update the schedule portion on coacht for you. Come on guys! It takes about 15 minutes to put it in or shoot, email me the freakin' schedule and I'll put it in..........................again. No schedule on coacht, none on the ihigh site, nothing in the online version of the SC Advocate. If a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound? Only if somebody tells the squirrels where the tree is going to fall......

Good to see some excitement on the 11AA board. About time our district is regaining some strength in boys basketball. I would have to agree it's probably a two team race between Cheatham County and Waverly, I see Cheatham and Waverly on the top level with Harpeth slightly below them. After Harpeth is another drop with Creek Wood and Camden. Then,of course dropping off the cliff to where you will find Montgomery Central and Stewart County. The key may be if whether Cheatham or Waverly have a slip up game and lose to someone other than each other. Have to agree with an earlier post that until Waverly beats a good or even decent team I have to reserve judgement. I have to think everyone talking about these two teams might just be the motivation that Harpeth needs to sneak up on one of them though.

Harpeth beat Creek Wood last night 40 something to 40 something. I caught about a quarter and a half. It's a rivalry game and all with emotions particularly from the Creek Wood side with the 3 kids that could be playing in Harpeth blue, but I was underwhelmed. Pretty good defense but if Creek Wood would have fed the post, Harpeth wouldn't have stopped 21 and if Harpeth makes half their free throws, it's not close. The Indians missed enough free throws to lose 3 games. That being said, Harpeth/Creek Wood is a rivalry game and there's emotions involved.

The refs blew 2 calls in the last 12 seconds of the game that might have affected the outcome. First, there's a whistle from the front court ref on a free throw because he thought it didn't hit the rim. Not his call to begin with and it was correctly corrected by his partners because everybody but him and probably Creek Wood's bench saw it hit the rim. Then they tee up Coach Taylor because he was upset that the call was reversed and rightfully so. Zebra doesn't blow his whistle and none of this happens. If he thinks it didn't hit the rim, what does the coach standing right behind him think? The inadvertant whistle on a live ball means a jump ball and Creek Wood would have had possession on the rebound. Let the opposing coach calm down after your mistake, give Harpeth the ball since it's the possession arrow is pointing to their end it's as even as it can be with the blown call you just made. Throwing the T and giving Harpeth 2 free throws and the ball because you blew the call was in bad form. Man up and take your butt chewing for blowing on your whistle when you shouldn't, hand the ball to Harpeth and run like heck out of the gym. I think it was a 2 point game when all this took place with around 11-12 seconds on the clock. Credit Coach Wilson for keeping his head and asking the question. For a little bit I think the 2 head coaches were the only ones in the building that had a clue what had happened. I hated to see Coach Taylor get a T in that scenario.

Edited by ksgovols