Early predictions for 8-AA 2013

"And "the u" highlights ...in the last 20 years is beating SC,G-ville and LA this year". I would think the highlight of any Baxter fan in last 20 would be the best team Maynord ever had in 96. Baxter losing to state champs Knx Webb in semi-finals.

Nah...good team that peaked in playoffs...beat some teams they shouldn't have...a lot like '85 SC team.

Most back? Dude...just stop posting.

so I guess you lost more than the 20 plus DC lost like Phillip, Molander, Sony? Lost more than LA with McCoin, Linder DE, Hayes, Reagan,Hollars, Linder tb? Of the top 3 last year, you brought the most back. To bad the top 3 coaches in the program left. You boys would have been best off to have got Pemberton to come there.

Guest Termite

"And "the u" highlights ...in the last 20 years is beating SC,G-ville and LA this year". I would think the highlight of any Baxter fan in last 20 would be the best team Maynord ever had in 96. Baxter losing to state champs Knx Webb in semi-finals.

Name a Baxter fan that would remember that.....there wasn't but 15-20 till this year.lol

so I guess you lost more than the 20 plus DC lost like Phillip, Molander, Sony? Lost more than LA with McCoin, Linder DE, Hayes, Reagan,Hollars, Linder tb? Of the top 3 last year, you brought the most back. To bad the top 3 coaches in the program left. You boys would have been best off to have got Pemberton to come there.

So...how many starters did SC return?

The question is what will SC have returning this next season? Seems to me as if SC will be losing the 2nd most behind UHS. I watched the UHS/SC jv game earlier this year and nothing stood out to me for SC but you can't always tell with those cause there's some kids playing that will never touch the field for varsity. Termite, as bad as it sounds, people would still talk about 96 like it was yesterday, until now. You can talk all you want about 5, 10, 15 years ago. At least for me there's no time like the present. You guys are right though, there's still a lot to prove for this season, for UHS and SC both.

Name a Baxter fan that would remember that.....there wasn't but 15-20 till this year.lol

Trust me when I say everybody from baxter remembers that year. It was agreat year for sports at Upperman. Football team finished 4th in the state, the basketball team finished 3rd in the state, and the baseball team finished somewhere in the top 5.

3 senoir running backs Manning, Gregory, Williams. Kemp started last year a FS and some wr. King and Profitt returned on line I know. Heck that list off top of my head I more than DC or LA returned.

Only two started....others did a few times...and most of the coaching staff as you said.

Edited by Antwan

Very mature answer coach. Lest I remind you the U hasn't done squat yet.

I think I agree with this on some level.  They haven't won a district championship yet.  They haven't made the playoffs officially yet.  Their names aren't going to be in any record books. They haven't beaten a perennial powerhouse like Alcoa or Maryville yet, so I can see why you think they haven't "done squat". 

Now, let me tell you what they have done.  1.  Taken a program that was 1-9 in 2009 and 2010 and brought them to 7-0 to start the 2013 season.  2.  Taken a program that was reportedly in serious debt and managed to raise enough money to pay that debt off and buy new home and away uniforms for 2013 as well as much needed new equipment.  3.  Increased the number of players from just over 20 in 2010 to 60 in 2013.  4.  Increased home attendance from around 100-150 in the home stands to standing room only with people 4-5 deep around the fence at the Jackson County game.  5.  Increased the academic expectations for players to the level that several will be in the top 10% with at least a couple in the top 10 in their class when they graduate in May.  6.  Beaten several rival teams for the first time in decades (Gordonsville, York and Smith County so far)  7.  Brought a renewed sense of pride and energy to a team, school and community that desperately needed it.

So, they may not be able to erase decades of lackluster performance on the football field in Baxter.  They have no control over history, but they can write their own destiny.  They may not win another game.  They may never have a district championship or a play-off win, but they have accomplished something that hundreds of others that have gone before them haven't been able to accomplish.  Guess that is "doing squat" in my book.

I think I agree with this on some level.  They haven't won a district championship yet.  They haven't made the playoffs officially yet.  Their names aren't going to be in any record books. They haven't beaten a perennial powerhouse like Alcoa or Maryville yet, so I can see why you think they haven't "done squat". 

Now, let me tell you what they have done.  1.  Taken a program that was 1-9 in 2009 and 2010 and brought them to 7-0 to start the 2013 season.  2.  Taken a program that was reportedly in serious debt and managed to raise enough money to pay that debt off and buy new home and away uniforms for 2013 as well as much needed new equipment.  3.  Increased the number of players from just over 20 in 2010 to 60 in 2013.  4.  Increased home attendance from around 100-150 in the home stands to standing room only with people 4-5 deep around the fence at the Jackson County game.  5.  Increased the academic expectations for players to the level that several will be in the top 10% with at least a couple in the top 10 in their class when they graduate in May.  6.  Beaten several rival teams for the first time in decades (Gordonsville, York and Smith County so far)  7.  Brought a renewed sense of pride and energy to a team, school and community that desperately needed it.

So, they may not be able to erase decades of lackluster performance on the football field in Baxter.  They have no control over history, but they can write their own destiny.  They may not win another game.  They may never have a district championship or a play-off win, but they have accomplished something that hundreds of others that have gone before them haven't been able to accomplish.  Guess that is "doing squat" in my book.

That's great. Glad to see that...and hear that from a real U fan. SC has had that kind of program for the last 15 years. Still...like Cannon a few years ago...you have to do more than win regular season games. Our district is way way down this year. It happens to public schools our size. SC is hammered on here for going 10-0...9-1...8-2...and losing early in playoffs. Let's see how the U handles the pressure.

SC is a soph. team. We are very young. We do lose some backs, but soph. players dominate the team. Next year Frosh. and the 7th grade have some very good athletes. Down the road is looking good for the Owls.

how is long term with the coach? I don't know him and not enough games to make a judgement yet. Hard to replace a Maynord, just ak Baxter. Now DC, UH, LA have good long term coaches and they are winning. CC, MC neep replacing coaches and keep losing. Curious to see if Dickerson I the long teerm solution at SC.