3 Maryville

4 Beech

5 Siegal

6 MUS

7 CAK

8 Brentwood

9 Mt. Juliet

10 Alcoa

I noticed several people putting Fulton in their top 10, but no Alcoa. I don't see how this is possible since they were the only team to beat CAK and they destroyed Fulton.

Yeah, good point, cant believe I forgot them.....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Northeast, but no Jackson Northside??? Northside beat them heads-up.

You are correct, NS beat them 21-20 the opening week of the season, but I still firmly believe Northeast was the 2nd best team in 5A this year, and very likely would have avenged that loss had they gotten passed Beech. I would imagine that most who watched the Quarterfinal game between Beech and Northeast would agree.

That's just this guy's opinion.

In no particular order.

Whitehaven, Maryville, Ensworth, MUS, Beech, Mt. Juliet, Siegel, Clarksville NE, Brentwood Acad., & pick one of the three (Dobyns-Bennett, Brentwood, MBA)

If you had a round robin tournament and you went through it ten times ... you may come out with a different winner each time at the end of the day. All of the teams above are loaded with talent and have excellent coaching staffs. In a lot of cases it just may come down to who blinks first. I don't think that the D2-AA schools, nor the 6A schools hold any type of distinct advantage over the 5A schools. You can take the classifications and toss them out of the window.

There are match-up problems galore with these teams. You've got the Jalen's to deal with. Then there is Corn Elder and Mark Dodson. Want efficient smart QB's? I present to you Rodgers, Meyers, and Stockstill. None of these guys are stand-alone players. they all have capable teammates that make dealing with each team a nightmare.

In no particular order.

Whitehaven, Maryville, Ensworth, MUS, Beech, Mt. Juliet, Siegel, Clarksville NE, Brentwood Acad., & pick one of the three (Dobyns-Bennett, Brentwood, MBA)

If you had a round robin tournament and you went through it ten times ... you may come out with a different winner each time at the end of the day. All of the teams above are loaded with talent and have excellent coaching staffs. In a lot of cases it just may come down to who blinks first. I don't think that the D2-AA schools, nor the 6A schools hold any type of distinct advantage over the 5A schools. You can take the classifications and toss them out of the window.

There are match-up problems galore with these teams. You've got the Jalen's to deal with. Then there is Corn Elder and Mark Dodson. Want efficient smart QB's? I present to you Rodgers, Meyers, and Stockstill. None of these guys are stand-alone players. they all have capable teammates that make dealing with each team a nightmare.

I completely agree. We would have easily given Whitehaven and Maryville fits. I don't believe either defense would have been successful against Hurd after seeing how much Dodson and Prevo were able to do against each other.

It would be interesting to see what Ensworth or any of the "top" D2 schools would do against a top 5A/6A school. For some reason, Bowers has taken those games out of Ensworth's schedule. Guess he didn't like that whoopin Oakland put on him in 2010.

I think there would be good game for sure ... I love Beech just not sure they could beat Ensworth though. I may be wrong. At times you guys looked unstoppable especially in the second half. All of those teams have exciting offensive teams. If anything I think where Ensworth wins their games ...over most teams is by having a defense to match. As heralded as their offense has been this year they really have a terrific defense that no one ran against this year with great success.. Huge fan of Beech though ...would be fun to see some of those matchups

I completely agree. We would have easily given Whitehaven and Maryville fits. I don't believe either defense would have been successful against Hurd after seeing how much Dodson and Prevo were able to do against each other.

It would be interesting to see what Ensworth or any of the "top" D2 schools would do against a top 5A/6A school. For some reason, Bowers has taken those games out of Ensworth's schedule. Guess he didn't like that whoopin Oakland put on him in 2010.

I completely agree. We would have easily given Whitehaven and Maryville fits.

I don't believe either defense would have been successful against Hurd after seeing how much Dodson

and Prevo were able to do against each other.

It would be interesting to see what Ensworth or any of the "top" D2 schools would do against a top 5A/6A school.

For some reason, Bowers has taken those games out of Ensworth's schedule. Guess he didn't like that whoopin

Oakland put on him in 2010.

Bowers hasn't "taken those games out of Ensworth's schedule" - he (along with the other D2 programs) is having major problems finding D1 teams that will play against his team. This is due primarily to the TSSAA rule change a couple of years ago which counts losses to non-region teams against the D1 teams in making the playoffs. Simply put, it is not worth taking

a risk of a loss for a good D1 to play a good D2 if it doesn't have to.

For the record, the 2010 "whoopin" that Oakland administered was a 20-7 home victory for Oakland over Ensworth in week 0 of that year. It remains the only game that Ensworth has ever lost to a D1 school in its 6 years of varsity football and was somewhat neutralized by

Ensworth's "whoopin" of Smyrna in week 5 of that same year by a score of 30-14 (the same Smyrna team which later lost in the 6A state final to Maryville, 23-21).

Apparently, you disagree with the people at USA Today/Massey with respect to relative strength of schedule for Tennessee teams. USA Today/Massey currently ranks Ensworth as having the toughest schedule in Tennessee for 2012, with MUS, BA and MBA ranked 2 through 4. In fact, USA Today lists 7 D2-AA Teams in the top 9 in the State for difficulty of schedule (the only D1 teams to break the top 9 are Maryville at No. 5 and Siegel at No. 8). For point of reference,

Whitehaven's strength of schedule is ranked at No. 20 in the State and Beech is at No. 31. Oh, btw, Ensworth is the only Tennessee team ranked by USA Today/Massey in its national high school poll - currently ranked No. 9 by pollsters and No. 4 in the computer rankings. I am not saying that this means that Ensworth would beat any of the teams mentioned, just that presumably objective observers have seen fit to respect Ensworth's program and scheduling acumen more than you seem to.

btw, congrats to MUS - that Fayetteville team that y'all went out there and administered a 48-20 "whoopin'" to - repeated as Arkansas State Champs in their largest school division this past weekend, beating Bentonville High.

Edited by RedRobin

Bowers hasn't "taken those games out of Ensworth's schedule" - he (along with the other D2 programs) is having major

problems finding D1 teams that will play against his team. This is due primarily to the TSSAA rule change a couple of years

ago which counts losses to non-region teams against the D1 teams in making the playoffs. Simply put, it is not worth taking

a risk of a loss for a good D1 to play a good D2 if it doesn't have to.

For the record, the 2010 "whoopin" that Oakland administered was a 20-7 home victory for Oakland in week 0 of that year.

It remains the only game that Ensworth has ever lost to a D1 school in its 6 years of varsity football and was somewhat neutralized by

Ensworth's "whoopin" of Smyrna in week 5 of that same year by a score of 30-14 (the same Smyrna team which later lost in the state final to Maryville, 23-21).

Apparently, you disagree with the people at USA Today/Massey with respect to relative strength of schedule for Tennessee teams. USA Today/Massey currently ranks

Ensworth as having the toughest schedule in Tennessee for 2012, with MUS, BA and MBA ranked 2 through 4. In fact, USA Today lists 7 D2 Teams in

the top 9 in the State for difficulty of schedule (the only D1 teams to break the top 9 are Maryville at No. 5 and Siegel at No. 8). For point of reference,

Whitehaven's strength of schedule is ranked at No. 20 in the State and Beech is at No. 31. Oh, btw, Ensworth is the only Tennessee team ranked by

USA Today/Massey in its national high school poll - currently ranked No. 9 by pollsters and No. 4 in the computer rankings. I am not saying that this means that

Ensworth would beat any of the teams mentioned, just that presumably objective observers have seen fit to respect Ensworth's program and scheduling acumen

more than you seem to.

btw, congrats to MUS - that Fayetteville team that y'all went out there and administered a 48-20 "whoopin'" to - repeated as Arkansas State Champs in their largest

school division this past weekend, beating Bentonville High.

A bit sensitive are we?

I could care less about Ensworth's SOS, rankings, or any of the rest of it. The reality is that there are quite a few 5A/6A schools that would fair well against the the best that D2 has to offer, and that's just a fact. And after losing Elder this year, Ensworth will struggle to keep their rankings up because their running game will struggle. Ferby is not Elder.

To be honest ferby reminds me a little more of hurd than elder does ... two different backs..so I bet he runs for alot of yards next year. Ensworth returns most of their offensive line and will have a quarterback that could be the best in the league over time . He will add more running ability and has a strong arm. They will be favorites to win it all again and will be nationally ranked , possibly higher than this year . I helped with off season strength training with the kids there and so I know them well even though my own kids go to other schools . The people who wish to beat down ensworth will need to wait a little longer because they will possibly be better next year than this year.

A bit sensitive are we?

I could care less about Ensworth's SOS, rankings, or any of the rest of it. The reality is that there are quite a few 5A/6A schools that would fair well against the the best that D2 has to offer, and that's just a fact. And after losing Elder this year, Ensworth will struggle to keep their rankings up because their running game will struggle. Ferby is not Elder.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976