For informational purposes only.

Just trying to bring a little levity. I thought at the time the call was lame even had it been correct. That call at that time in that game was out of control. The pictures prove it. If the TSSAA is interested in correctness, they will overturn the result and award Maryville with the win and the championship.

They should look at it, and unless the official can come up with some form of believable rebuttal, he should be suspended for a year or two (if not completely barred) from calling games. However, I highly doubt they will reverse the outcome of the game.

I have been directly involved in something similar, when I was in school. Ref made a bogus spearing call against a teammate and threw him out of the playoff game. In the ensuing weeks, he finally went to the association and admitted to being paid off by the opposing school. I guess having gone through that, that is why this call angered me so much, and by the way, I would have felt the same regardless of who the call was against.

Any one who has played, knows the sweat and effort that is poured into a season, these teens are out there making memories that will last forever, and no ref has the right to abuse his power to purposely try to sway the outcome. When you reach that point, you have undermined the very lessons that we try to teach our kids through sports.

I have seen something like this coming for a while now. This ref just happened to make a call that video proof, leaves him without any explanation. Had he called holding, with the same intent, no one could have really proven anything. If this doesn't cause TSSAA to take a hard line against such unethical conduct, and look at some of their guidelines and rules, then nothing will.

Edited by jake

Ok Rebel Fans,

We all know the gold ball is going to stay in the "Bluff City" and the silver ball will eventually make it to the Rebel's trophy case. (after someone finds it underneath GQ's desk).

But, most Rebel fans may recall a home county game in 1999 (GQ's 1st year). There was a personal foul call against the Rebels after a change of possession. The Rebels were the receiving team. The head official marked off the yardage of the penalty and awarded the ball back to the opponent. The MHS head coach argued to no avail. The Rebels went on to lose the game by a very small margin.

There happened to be another TSSAA official in attendance. This person addressed the call with the board in Nashville. It was later published in the local paper an error in the call was made.

The point is 14 years later and the MHS coaches still know the rules. Perhaps, it is time the officials know the interpertation of the rules?

Go Rebels!!!

Edited by cruiser71red

Does anyone know if TSSAA will respond to the many questions that have risen from this game? Will they make an official statement? Are we sure that the they will even investigate and address their finding with this crew? Just curious if anyone knows the protocol.

Just curious if any TSSAA football officials have visited this thread. If so how about some comments? Your identity will not be obvious so I would be very interested in your comments.

I am a TSSAA baseball official and let me assure you that from the district to region to sub-state to state your performace is scrutinized if there is a complaint. Punishment for poor performance is consisitent to games, or a year or two ban from post season to complete banishment.

When a player gets a penalty, the whole team gets penalized. Since the Northwest Association was responsible for the assignment, maybe the whole association should bear the responsibility and/or sanctions. If they end up not policing their own....

Edited by OldRebel2

They should look at it, and unless the official can come up with some form of believable rebuttal, he should be suspended for a year or two (if not completely barred) from calling games. However, I highly doubt they will reverse the outcome of the game.

I have been directly involved in something similar, when I was in school. Ref made a bogus spearing call against a teammate and threw him out of the playoff game. In the ensuing weeks, he finally went to the association and admitted to being paid off by the opposing school. I guess having gone through that, that is why this call angered me so much, and by the way, I would have felt the same regardless of who the call was against.

Any one who has played, knows the sweat and effort that is poured into a season, these teens are out there making memories that will last forever, and no ref has the right to abuse his power to purposely try to sway the outcome. When you reach that point, you have undermined the very lessons that we try to teach our kids through sports.

I have seen something like this coming for a while now. This ref just happened to make a call that video proof, leaves him without any explanation. Had he called holding, with the same intent, no one could have really proven anything. If this doesn't cause TSSAA to take a hard line against such unethical conduct, and look at some of their guidelines and rules, then nothing will.

Can anyone say Steve Renolds??

I know this has nothing to do with the 2 point conversion play. That play bothered me. But! Sitting at home watching the game because I have the flu wasn't too much fun. What really gets me as a Rebel fan is we always have Kevin Dyson announcing the 6A Title Game on TV. He annoys me more than Mark Packer does. When Maryville ran the 2 point play and got a flag thrown on it. He was saying "Oh yeah man definately down field" When Whitehaven got the ball back before regulation Mark Dodson broke that long run. Dyson was the biggest cheerleader on that run. It is so obvious he pulled for Whitehaven against Maryville the last 2 years. He was for Smyrna 2 years ago. I will ask the TSSAA Please get Pat Sperdudo back. I loved him calling state title games.

...the constant conversation going on between Whitehaven players and the ump when they (the Tigers) were on defense (which is a definate no-no)

Stars, I can understand the frustration if the referee was talking to the WH players. I expect them to be friendly and cordial, but there is a line. I felt that way at the DB/Maryville game. At the beginning of halftime, GQ was on the field being very chummy and laughing with the refs. After a few questionable spots, this did not sit well with me.

'STARSNBARS'

Today I've had a couple of interesting conversations about last Saturday night's game and the infamous 2 pt. invented call.....

A friend from one official's association (not Blount County) told me that they were having a meeting to discuss the game. His supervisor cited errors in overall game management, the possibility that the TV crew was used to put time back on the clock, the constant conversation going on between Whitehaven players and the ump when they (the Tigers) were on defense (which is a definate no-no) and of course the blunder of all blunders, the unethical and unfair accusation of a lineman downfield penalty when none occured which greatly altered an outstanding ball game.....He also stated that his supervisor had fielded calls from from fellow officials in other state associations on the 2 pt. call and the possibility as to whether or not the ump was trying to steal and / or alter the game's outcome.....

I then talked to another friend this afternoon who is also an official in a neighboring official's association who was present at the game and he noted a couple of other items.......First how the officials maintained no flow to the game (constantly meeting to discuss play and the overall delay in play)...And secondly he said he observed once when GQ asked the back judge for a ruling on one play the back judge shoved him back towards the sideline, which in his eyes was totally uncalled for and unprofessional and he stated that officials are instructed to never physically touch a coach or player, unless absolutely necessary......

Stars the 'no flow' to game blew my mind - giving WH time to rest ? - came to mind..on Dyson calling the game was horrible in my eye..he was for WH all the way and it irrated me as much as Musberger does..great pics by your Rebel friends tell the story ..

'STARSNBARS'

Today I've had a couple of interesting conversations about last Saturday night's game and the infamous 2 pt. invented call.....

A friend from one official's association (not Blount County) told me that they were having a meeting to discuss the game. His supervisor cited errors in overall game management, the possibility that the TV crew was used to put time back on the clock, the constant conversation going on between Whitehaven players and the ump when they (the Tigers) were on defense (which is a definate no-no) and of course the blunder of all blunders, the unethical and unfair accusation of a lineman downfield penalty when none occured which greatly altered an outstanding ball game.....He also stated that his supervisor had fielded calls from from fellow officials in other state associations on the 2 pt. call and the possibility as to whether or not the ump was trying to steal and / or alter the game's outcome.....

I then talked to another friend this afternoon who is also an official in a neighboring official's association who was present at the game and he noted a couple of other items.......First how the officials maintained no flow to the game (constantly meeting to discuss play and the overall delay in play)...And secondly he said he observed once when GQ asked the back judge for a ruling on one play the back judge shoved him back towards the sideline, which in his eyes was totally uncalled for and unprofessional and he stated that officials are instructed to never physically touch a coach or player, unless absolutely necessary......

Stars the 'no flow' to game blew my mind - giving WH time to rest ? - came to mind..on Dyson calling the game was horrible in my eye..he was for WH all the way and it irrated me as much as Musberger does..great pics by your Rebel friends tell the story ..

Thanks buddy....We are not blaming the WH team at all....And we have congratulated them......But when somebody, and I believe intentionally, falsely accuses a teenager of doing something which he obviously didn't do and will have to live with for the rest of his life to serve an agenda.....Well he's gonna feel the full wrath of the Rebel Nation and hopefully Richard McWhirter and Bernard Childress soon.....

I find these threads funny. If any team beaten by Maryville even mentions refereeing they are immediately flamed by the Rebel Nation as whiners. Anybody that watched the game knows it was a bad call, and affected the outcome of the game. Guess what, get over it. Wasn't the first bad call and won't be the last. Lots of players and coaches have lost games over poor officiating, you rebels act like its never happened before. The sun came up Sunday morning and life moved on, you need to as well.

• Upvote 1

Stars, I can understand the frustration if the referee was talking to the WH players. I expect them to be friendly and cordial, but there is a line. I felt that way at the DB/Maryville game. At the beginning of halftime, GQ was on the field being very chummy and laughing with the refs. After a few questionable spots, this did not sit well with me.

Coach Quarles is actually a very funny guy , he's even been known to give Rebelron a little grief right before the start of a Game before ... lol