Middle TN Grand Championships

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Wow! I confess - I am a psychology major working on a thesis on Behavior at Athletic Events. I chose to view wrestling because of my long involvement with wrestling and being at these matches the emotionally charged atmosphere that is created especially at finals. I was not disappointed and got great stuff from not only the matches but the blogs. Here is what I observed:

When given a scenario regarding the possibility of poor sportsmanship by a seasoned - state ranked wrestler against a younger more inexperienced wrestler here are the responses:

1. Discreted my observations - assumed I was parent mad at the loss. - accused me of propoganda. Told to take pictures from stand - making things up to justify a loss - All assumptions.

2. Wrestler did a great acting job - was stalling - avoiding being teched.

3. Parent was threatening - should go to jail - horrible people.

4. Tournaments fault - poorly run, tired officials, no security,

5. Fans caused all the commotion

when suggesting there might be a video that could go Viral - whoa - I was told I needed off the boards that I was threatening to go viral - never said I had a video - set up another scenario - that one doesn't need a psychology major to figure that one out - someone is a little frightened about a video going viral - hmmmmm.

What I truly saw - and remember I really don't know any of you people on this blog - even though I could probably figure out where you stand in the equation. I am a casual observor working on a thesis who was involved in wrestling for over 7 years.

Did he push him in the face - yes - was it unsportsman like conduct - depends on how you see it - he was dominating, winning - seemed a little unnecessary - but it is what it is - wrestling is a tough aggressive sport. Did he grin at his coach - more of a cocky smirk - what wrestler doesn't have that. Did he punch him - hard to tell from the angle I was sitting

(sorry that one was a little embellished for reaction reasons) - did he push him a 2nd time - yes - did he get a point against him - yes he did. Did the parent get upset - yes - but it was quickly countered by another parent who yelled - thats what wrestling is all about - talk about fuel on the fire!!! Was the coach teaching dirty wrestling - I don't know - just another scenario to see what shakes out of the tree. Sorry for that one, probably shouldn't have said that, but it did get a good reaction.

Conclusion: When giving a scenario - no one took responsibility for possible un sportsman like conduct it immediately went to finger pointing - blaming others. Unsportsman like conduct is the result of others behavior and therefore justifiable because it is the other person's fault I act like this. It's the tournament's fault, the parent's fault, the other boys fault, "It's a bunch of women complaining" on and on. It was very easy to tell who everyone is even though I really don't know any of you. Some of you however, did step up and post very positive reports on both wrestlers. I applaud you for that - even though it doesn't have much relevance on my thesis. I do admire you for that, my coaches and parents were like that as well. Two sides to every story - don't play the blame game - head high - if you make a mistake - which everyone does - man up take responsibility, do the right thing and move on. You're a better man for it.

Thank you all for your posts - your actions - and a chance for an A on a thesis!! I know many of you will be very upset about this - that was the point - human reaction. You did not disappoint. See you at the next tournament!!!

http://www.google.com/search?q=buzz+lightyear+you+are+a+sad+strange+little+man&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=BXLPUPWoNYL09gTB2YHADA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=356#i=1

Wow! I confess - I am a psychology major working on a thesis on Behavior at Athletic Events. I chose to view wrestling because of my long involvement with wrestling and being at these matches the emotionally charged atmosphere that is created especially at finals. I was not disappointed and got great stuff from not only the matches but the blogs. Here is what I observed:

When given a scenario regarding the possibility of poor sportsmanship by a seasoned - state ranked wrestler against a younger more inexperienced wrestler here are the responses:

1. Discreted my observations - assumed I was parent mad at the loss. - accused me of propoganda. Told to take pictures from stand - making things up to justify a loss - All assumptions.

when suggesting there might be a video that could go Viral - whoa - I was told I needed off the boards that I was threatening to go viral - never said I had a video - set up another scenario - that one doesn't need a psychology major to figure that one out - someone is a little frightened about a video going viral - hmmmmm.

What I truly saw - and remember I really don't know any of you people on this blog - even though I could probably figure out where you stand in the equation. I am a casual observor working on a thesis who was involved in wrestling for over 7 years.

Did he push him in the face - yes - was it unsportsman like conduct - depends on how you see it - he was dominating, winning - seemed a little unnecessary - but it is what it is - wrestling is a tough aggressive sport. Did he grin at his coach - more of a cocky smirk - what wrestler doesn't have that. Did he punch him - hard to tell from the angle I was sitting

(sorry that one was a little embellished for reaction reasons) - did he push him a 2nd time - yes - did he get a point against him - yes he did. Did the parent get upset - yes - but it was quickly countered by another parent who yelled - thats what wrestling is all about - talk about fuel on the fire!!! Was the coach teaching dirty wrestling - I don't know - just another scenario to see what shakes out of the tree. Sorry for that one, probably shouldn't have said that, but it did get a good reaction.

Conclusion: When giving a scenario - no one took responsibility for possible un sportsman like conduct it immediately went to finger pointing - blaming others. Unsportsman like conduct is the result of others behavior and therefore justifiable because it is the other person's fault I act like this. It's the tournament's fault, the parent's fault, the other boys fault, "It's a bunch of women complaining" on and on. It was very easy to tell who everyone is even though I really don't know any of you. Some of you however, did step up and post very positive reports on both wrestlers. I applaud you for that - even though it doesn't have much relevance on my thesis. I do admire you for that, my coaches and parents were like that as well. Two sides to every story - don't play the blame game - head high - if you make a mistake - which everyone does - man up take responsibility, do the right thing and move on. You're a better man for it.

Thank you all for your posts - your actions - and a chance for an A on a thesis!! I know many of you will be very upset about this - that was the point - human reaction. You did not disappoint. See you at the next tournament!!!

By request...

Edited by Knight01

Now you're just embarrassing yourself...

Sounds like one kid dominated the other wrestler at a higher intensity level.. This is like several people I've heard in the crowd say that kaleb baker is a dirty wrestler by pushing and working the boundary however he's just aggressive and doesn't try to hurt anybody. This is why he has won state and gets national exposure... Parents can't get upset for their son or teammates getting dominated.. If you saw a punch then you should prob post or find somebody up has video of "him punching" to state your case before bashing the Clarksville wrestling coach and team

Sounds like one kid dominated the other wrestler at a higher intensity level.. This is like several people I've heard in the crowd say that kaleb baker is a dirty wrestler by pushing and working the boundary however he's just aggressive and doesn't try to hurt anybody. This is why he has won state and gets national exposure... Parents can't get upset for their son or teammates getting dominated.. If you saw a punch then you should prob post or find somebody up has video of "him punching" to state your case before bashing the Clarksville wrestling coach and team

Agree, watch Metcalf wrestle when he was at Iowa. Aggressiveness til the final whistle and "dirty" are two completely different things.

What about the team and individual results? Did anyone watch the tournament or did most everyone get together and have a pitty party. Bring back the day's of when we had coaches like Greg Wingo (John Overton), Joe Drennan (Father Ryan) and Randy Thomas (Springfield). These gentlemen would never have allowed their wrestlers or fans to complain about the officials, hospitatility room or other wrestlers being too physical. Wrestlers being to physical, give me a break. Some people may need to join the LAX team.

I know who you are jdwsdw! You're the guy who kept yelling about teaching our kids to "play nicer" and to "stop being so mean". I think you may have torn your panties. Welcome to wrestling, the definition of a "physical" sport. Aren't you a little old to be writing a thesis?