Spring Hill Coaching Job

jklivin

I will be glad to expound on my percieved short comings of each candidate. Let me preface it by saying once again that all of the men are excellent coaches and would make for a good hire.

Tom Turchetta- Certainly the most experienced coach with an extensive college background. He has accomplished a lot and is certainly in the twilight of his career. One must question how much longer he plans on being in the profession. He has not been at anyone place for very long. Many coaches feel he is very difficult to work with as he is not interested in anyone else opinions or ideas. Former players have also stated a disconnect between Coach Turchetta and the players as well. This being said he could provide a short term solution (3-4 years) but one thing this program is in dire need of is a little consistancy and continuity.

Richard Herzog- Excellent defensive mind and certaintly knowns the school and district (Page). Like Turchetta can be said to have a contentious personality. Offensively he is a wing-t guy and given the talent year in and year out at Spring Hill I cannot see the wing-t finding success with the lack of line talent that Spring Hill has. In addition there are reasons he has not held many head coaching positions.

Jason Hoath- Most notible shortcoming is obviously experience. No doubt Coach Hoath has the passion and work ethic to be succesful. Mt. Pleasant seemed to run to many schemes at times last year to their detriment. This is often the case with young coaches and I am sure he will learn this as well. That being said he did a lot of the coaching himself. You can get away with this when you have 30-45 players but not with 80-100. He will have to rely/find more capable assistants if it is to work at Spring Hill. Spring Hill must be able to weather some "on the job" training and mistakes that come with a young coach.

Steve Ackley- Coach Ackley and Coach Hoath graduated in the same class at Spring Hill. Both outstanding players and friends.

Background on Ackley is this: Spring Hill's MVP his senior year, one year post graduate at Hargrave Military Academy co- captain. Four year stater at Liberty University. His is currently an assistant coach and assistant athletic director at Liberty Christain Academy the largest evangelical private and third largest private school in the U.S. During his tenure at LCA they have won multiple state titles most recently back to back championships.

Ackley's shortcomings are the same as Hoath's. Lack of head coaching experience is the first. Although he has served under remarkable head coaches with outstanding success he has not been the head guy yet. His temperment is a little more even kill than Hoath's which may make him more suited as a head coach.

If that is the real list, Richard Herzog would be the most experienced candidate. He coached at Vanderbilt, he has served as defensive coordinator at SHHS in the mid to late 1990's, and he has coached at high school teams in the state championship. I wouldn't give you two plug nickles for Tom and I doubt Jason is ready to jump ship just yet.

If that is the real list, Richard Herzog would be the most experienced candidate. He coached at Vanderbilt, he has served as defensive coordinator at SHHS in the mid to late 1990's, and he has coached at high school teams in the state championship. I wouldn't give you two plug nickles for Tom and I doubt Jason is ready to jump ship just yet.

You talk about turchetta as if you know him - maybe the feeling is mutual. I would like to know which coaches say he is the sole opinion - I have talked to coaches that he has worked with and they say they would work with him again in a second. Sounds like you are repeating someone else's opinion.

Herzog is a very good coach - when you do not have the support needed to be successful, coaches take it upon themselves to get things done properly. If that hurts soemone's feelings, then so be it.

Hasn't Turchetta coached at Pitt (with Johnny Majors), Wyoming, Memphis, Kentucky, etc.......not sure that a Vanderbilt stint makes you "more experienced".