Science Hill 104 Crockett 10

AlumnI01

About 10 years ago, University High had a very good team. One of their district oppenents at the time, Clinch (9-12 enrolment of about 37 kids) came to Brooke's Gym. UH kept their starters in until the hit the century mark. This was classless and totally uncalled for.

SH, on the other hand,

A. Played the bench the whole 2nd half

B. Played half court the entire 2nd half

C. Ran the clok the entire second half.

This was NOT classless nor totally uncalled for. Its not SH's fault that Crockett didn't come to play. Its not SH's fault that they made horrible passes, or took bad shots, or dribbled it off their foot. Maybe SH is just that good and DC is just THAT bad. Maybe DC should just get BETTER. Maybe DC should take alittle pride in themselves and be embarasses to give up 76 points in SIXTEEN MINUTES!!! You can't blame SH for playing their game for one half. Their trying to win a state championship, not make Crockett feel good about themselves. And you can't acomplish that by holding back the reins every other game you play just because you are in a weak distict.

I mean come on guys, Crockett only scored FIVE points the entire second half with SH's bench cleared and playing half court defense. That right there should tell how horrible they were on this particular night.

Edited by crazzyness

That sounds good but....

A. The started played up until 3 mins and change left in the 3rd qtr.

B. They pressed the whole first half even after they were up by more than 50 for about 4 mins left in the half.

C. The running clock is a TSSAA rule not SH showing mercy. When your jacking up 3's in the forth qtr to score your 102 point you are running it up.

This is not a player problem. I fault the coach and then ultimately the administration. Players just play the game the way they have been taught or coached to do. Hopefully SH players will win a championship, but playing like that or being coached to play like that against a inferior team is not a championship achievement it's a disgrace and intentional public humiliation of DC and their players.

If University did that then I say shame on them as well.

That sounds good but....

B. They pressed the whole first half even after they were up by more than 50 for about 4 mins left in the half.

C. The running clock is a TSSAA rule not SH showing mercy. When your jacking up 3's in the forth qtr to score your 102 point you are running it up.

This is not a player problem. I fault the coach and then ultimately the administration. Players just play the game the way they have been taught or coached to do. Hopefully SH players will win a championship, but playing like that or being coached to play like that against a inferior team is not a championship achievement it's a disgrace and intentional public humiliation of DC and their players.

Well if you want to be like that, the actual rule doesn't kick in until the forth quarter, and it still stops for time outs and free throws, which it didn't if I read in the newspaper correctly. And of course they pressed the enitre first half, that is how they play. Its not like they did it JUST to run up the score, that is their game plan every single night. Although I have to agree with you that I wouldn't have put the starters back out for the first 3 minutes of the 3rd.

And about the freshman hitting a three towards the end of the game; you try telling a 15 year old girl not to take the shot she is supposed to take, after she ran the offensive set perfectly and beat the defense fair and sqare, as she is supposed to. SH players shouldn't be penalized because Crockett is horrible.. let me use your logic. Tell your fifteen year old daughter NOT to make a 100 on the exam, even though she studied hard for the exam for weeks, so she won't make the rest of the class feel bad because the rest of her class is dumb and will fail the exam.

Edited by crazzyness

crazzyness, excellent points. I'm glad you and some others here "get it".

78Blazer, you don't think the girls on Crockett's team are playing just for fun, do you? That's what kids in elementary and middle school do. You don't think some of them are playing in hopes of possibly getting a scholarship somewhere(even if it's simply a local, small school)or because of the competitive nature? Give me a break! These young women aren't 6 year olds that just started playing the game.

Edited by AlumnI01

That sounds good but....

I would say for every 10 minutes Crockett girls spent in gym off season, SH girls spent 104.

Good players do it on there own, you can't coach what you do not have.

I would venture to say if the SH coaches just sat in the bleachers and just watched it would have been worse.

Hold on a minute here mom. Do you know for a fact that SH spends more time in the gym than the Crockett Co. girls do? Do us all a favor and stick to cheering for your child and stay off the message boards if you're going to post this kind of garbage. Crockett Co. is obviously very inferior in talent than SH is and i get that but this was a classless act by a coach plain and simple. There has been several times this years we (Jackson County) could have scored over a 100 points on a team but our coach has class and knows that it does neither team no good to run up a score like this. We've held atleast 1 team that i know of to 5 points in the 1st half but did not press them and score 75 on them even though we could have. This coach is wrong and so are you for supporting this kind of garbage. You would feel different if little suzy was on the other end of this score i guarantee it! :popcorneater:

So you're condoning the 75-5 score in the 1st half? Trust me when i say this there is no way this should ever happen. As an avid fan of Jackson County i have watched many games where Coach Brown could have done this same thing on many occasions including some this year, however he calls the dogs off early and i mean he does this by playing his ENTIRE bench in the 1st half and stops pressing after the 1st quarter in alot of games. Science Hill is no where near the program Jackson County is year in and year out so this kind of score is way out of line and this coach should be reprimanded for it!

Like I said, I did not see the game and am not condoning anything. I do know both coaches and both programs well. I believe Science Hill was up 38 -2 after the first quarter. To me that is fine. I believe the problem, if there is one, is in outscoring them 37-3 in the second quarter when the game was clearly over after about five minutes in the first. Arguably, Science Hill could have cruised after one period to about a 75-25 final score, but chose not to do so. I understand people's frustration.

Hold on a minute here mom. Do you know for a fact that SH spends more time in the gym than the Crockett Co. girls do? Do us all a favor and stick to cheering for your child and stay off the message boards if you're going to post this kind of garbage. Crockett Co. is obviously very inferior in talent than SH is and i get that but this was a classless act by a coach plain and simple. There has been several times this years we (Jackson County) could have scored over a 100 points on a team but our coach has class and knows that it does neither team no good to run up a score like this. We've held atleast 1 team that i know of to 5 points in the 1st half but did not press them and score 75 on them even though we could have. This coach is wrong and so are you for supporting this kind of garbage. You would feel different if little suzy was on the other end of this score i guarantee it! :popcorneater:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion,and I respect that.Having said that...listen to this Jackson Co. fan who's team could probably crush a third of the teams they play in almost this same manner.Doesn't help the winner or the loser,and the coach...if he had the class to do so could've kept the score "respectable" in a number of ways without just telling the kids to stop playing.

I did not know that Jackson Co. Was the holyer than all other programs. I need to move their so I can get righteous. I have seen you play before and lets just that you are no better than the next. The only reason you can't get 100 is that you 4 good kids and the rest ave. SH has 9 to 10 kids that can get the job done against most teams in the state that's why they can get 100. 100 is just a number. Would you be so mad if they won 50 to 0? Then you would be saying we Jackson Co would have left them score two points. High school basketball is not the Upward League, which is good for elementary children.

Believe you me we have our share being beaten by lopsided scores, but little suzy takes it better than little mommy and little daddy.