gordonsville

diesel28

I said it was hard, not impossible.

I can give examples of kids going from smaller programs to having standout careers playing top notch college football.

The scouts see the kids at the camps, if you want to get noticed that's what you do. Many times college coaches won't even look at your highlight film unless they're impressed with you at camp. Jalen performed well at the various camps he's been too.

Being from a smaller school doesn't have a whole lot to do with it.

Sweeney from FC, Long at FC now was getting noticed at an even smaller school in Penn.

Coen was getting D1 looks.

Bottom line, if you can play they'll find you.

Edited by croz6110

The scouts see the kids at the camps, if you want to get noticed that's what you do. Many times college coaches won't even look at your highlight film unless they're impressed with you at camp. Jalen performed well at the various camps he's been too.

Being from a smaller school doesn't have a whole lot to do with it.

Sweeney from FC, Long at FC now was getting noticed at an even smaller school in Penn.

Coen was getting D1 looks.

Bottom line, if you can play they'll find you.

A lot of these camps are by invite only.

It's hard to get noticed when you're racking up stats against, for the most part, lesser competition.

It's not coincidence that most D1 football players come from bigger programs where there is better competition.

I'll give you am example, Corn Elder, had offers from all across the country(recently signed with the U.) he did not attend one single camp event this past summer instead he played AAU bball.

He got his attention because he played at the top football program in the state, Ensworth. He also made Jalen Ramsey look silly on the field. He was on fields that were scattered with D1 prospects. It's hard to get noticed(without camping) if you're the only legitimate D1 guy on the field. You think Corn Elder would have gotten the same attention if he played at a small program that doesn't play fierce competition?

The size/type of program you play in absolutely matters. Coaches know which programs churn out D1 prospects.

A lot of these camps are by invite only.

It's hard to get noticed when you're racking up stats against, for the most part, lesser competition.

It's not coincidence that most D1 football players come from bigger programs where there is better competition.

I'll give you am example, Corn Elder, had offers from all across the country(recently signed with the U.) he did not attend one single camp event this past summer instead he played AAU bball.

He got his attention because he played at the top football program in the state, Ensworth. He also made Jalen Ramsey look silly on the field. He was on fields that were scattered with D1 prospects. It's hard to get noticed(without camping) if you're the only legitimate D1 guy on the field. You think Corn Elder would have gotten the same attention if he played at a small program that doesn't play fierce competition?

The size/type of program you play in absolutely matters. Coaches know which programs churn out D1 prospects.

Yeah, coaches do know what programs to watch, but with your point about Elder, if you're good they'll find you. And, of course, bigger programs should have more D1 prospects. Percentages and numbers are there. But, all I'm saying, small school or not, you'll get noticed. Coen did, and there are several other examples.

Yeah, coaches do know what programs to watch, but with your point about Elder, if you're good they'll find you. And, of course, bigger programs should have more D1 prospects. Percentages and numbers are there. But, all I'm saying, small school or not, you'll get noticed. Coen did, and there are several other examples.

I agree with Bishop to an extent. Like he said most of your studs get noticed by camping and playing at larger schools. That is not necessarily true about if your good they will find you. If you are good and believe you are good and you want to play at a big school. Then you better go to their camp, you better pay and go to a Nike combine. You have to put yourself out their. Or if you don't do those things, you darn better have some great film to send them, and not just highlights but real authentic film. Plus I have to many close friends in the college coaching and they tell me all the time, if you want them recruited send them to our camp or another camp!!

I agree, you have to go camping.

It's not as hard to get noticed as it was 10-15 years ago with technology like it is.

Anybody can make a highlight film and put it on hudl or youtube.

I didn't mean if you're good they'll find you if you don't put yourself out there. This day and time it's easier to put yourself out there than ever before.

• 2 weeks later...

If seriously transferring and wanting to play above a mid major DI level in college & hes a RB he should pass on any Wilson county school other than FC. MJ had a great FB in mcCathern & a solid RB in Hopkins the past 2 seasons and neither got "big time" offers. This is with back-to-back years in the 6A semifinals.

Wilson Central thus far has had a few players get some mid major or ivy league offers but not skill players. Linemen or linebackers mostly. This might be due to their playing 0 or one playoff game most years and not getting exposure deep in the playoffs. FC has a definite D1 QB who will sign next yr with offers already from UCLA, SMU, Syracuse, etc. additionally they have a sophomore lineman getting serious D1 looks and invites already from programs like Vandy & Duke. Playing DII going forward should only enhance the looks FC players will get.

Of course as a RB or skill player the Rutherford & Sumner county schools seem to be putting out the most big time D1 talent yr after yr.

Seriously? Friendship sends nowhere near as many players to colleges that Wilson Central does.

Here's the current list of Wildcats in college:

Cameron Clemmons- Western Kentucky

Jordan Poole- Southern Illinois

Tim Braun- Rhodes

Baxter Ingram- Princeton

Connor McChurch- Cumberland

Nathan Roterro- UT-Martin

Jackson Redditt- UT-Martin

Brandon Mallory- Cumberland

Michael Shannon- Cumberland

Former college players:

Melvin Williams- North Carolina

Travis Atkins- Tennessee Tech (All-OVC Selection)

Nick Clark- Austin Peay (All-OVC selection)

Just signed this year:

Chris Lee- Harvard

Mason Pavan- Cumberland

Rod Crutchfield- University of the Cumberlands

Andrew Campbell- Carson-Newman

Johnathan Jennings- Cumberland

These are ALL SCHOLARSHIP guys. Central currently has 6 playing Division 1 football. I left off Tyler Coombes who is a walk-on at Tennessee.

Let me see your list buddy!

I Can See The Truth In All Statements...But Try This One...It Is Upon The Parent To Help His Child Get Recruited Into A Good School...Talent Will Get You Noticed..And Some Offers...But Most Schools Have Limited Budgets And Won't Waste Thier Time On Trying To Recruit Someone Who Has No Interest In Thier School Or Program. Thus My Son And The Florida State Seminoles...Had A Personal conversation With Ole Bobby Bowden's tight End Coach...And He Says Exactly What I Have Stated....They Don't Waste thier Time On Recruiting Players Who Have Not Applied To Thier School...Now Ole Bobby Has A Try out Camp And Skills Camp And Such That Draws Talent From All Over The States..But For The Majority Of Athelets...If You Don't Apply They Don't Recruit...So I'd Get off My Butt And Apply And Send Every Highlight Film I Could...And My Boy Led The State In Catches And Receiving Yards And Played 1A Ball...And He Had No D-1 Offers That I had Not Applied For...But He Is Just An Example To My Argument....And You Have Such A Small Window For Eligibility..So I'd Get To Work.

Edited by Butchie

I coached the kid for 2 years...I coached at Alcoa for 3 and we didn't have an SEC caliber TB. We had an SEC caliber FB and he starts at UK now. Jalen is not SEC talented, he is stiff, inflexible, doesn't run behind his pads, doesn't have great body lean, doesn't use his power and strength to his advantage. If he would become more coachable, tougher, mentally tougher, and play both sides of the ball he could have a chance at UL or smaller but he not SEC big ten caliber. Sorry but he is not.

Well said and I agree, look Jalen is extremely talented .. but you're right i dont think he's an SEC RB....honestly I think he'd be better off switching to WR...just my opinion tho

I agree with Bishop to an extent. Like he said most of your studs get noticed by camping and playing at larger schools. That is not necessarily true about if your good they will find you. If you are good and believe you are good and you want to play at a big school. Then you better go to their camp, you better pay and go to a Nike combine. You have to put yourself out their. Or if you don't do those things, you darn better have some great film to send them, and not just highlights but real authentic film. Plus I have to many close friends in the college coaching and they tell me all the time, if you want them recruited send them to our camp or another camp!!

micheal scruggs was contacted by every major college football power house in the country in the late 90's. before youtube, without going to camps and playing in 1a. if you are that good. you will be found.

micheal scruggs was contacted by every major college football power house in the country in the late 90's. before youtube, without going to camps and playing in 1a. if you are that good. you will be found.

He was also at big time program at the time that was dominating folks too. He also had TC who was getting looks by everybody as well. I know as of TODAY and having multiple friends in the college business. They tell me to get them to the camps so they can be seen. Take it for what it's worth.

I agree, you have to go camping.

It's not as hard to get noticed as it was 10-15 years ago with technology like it is.

Anybody can make a highlight film and put it on hudl or youtube.

I didn't mean if you're good they'll find you if you don't put yourself out there. This day and time it's easier to put yourself out there than ever before.

You will also see players who are not quiet D1 but heading in that direction that will transfer to a private school in hope of being noticed by college coaches who are visiting their school to take a look at another player. I don't know why, but receivers seem to fit this mold. Maybe it is the fact the coach is there to watch the QB and this particular receiver catches everything that is thrown to him.