CPA's Jalen Lindsey leaving CPA

Ticket

Wheather his skills will be better honed there than CPA is a mute point...the move is about exposure.Winning the AA crown in Tn. is no small feat,but in the grand scheme of things the 'preps offer something that even CPA cant...national recognition,and the stigma that goes with the 'preps alumni list at division one schools and the NBA.Big fish in a little pond or,try your luck in a bigger body of water?

I understand, but I think it is way overblown and oversold by the preps. With CPA's impending schedule at the COP & I believe Beach Ball again, plus the Memphis deal, and one more big one if I remember then their exposure will be close to or possibly even greater than HP, plus Wiggins is no longer there so their exposure rate will be a bit down. This past season HP wasn't even allowed to play in the NHSI on ESPN. There again not trying to be totally disagreeable, but they have that rep w/D-1's and the NBA because they "recruit" players from established high school programs and then it makes them look good. A few of the preps are very well-coached, but in watching and trying to learn that is not the norm at all. Of those few preps they are coached by former successful high school coaches. I do understand what is being sold to these young men tradertwo and it is hard for them to seperate some of the facts sometimes.

I understand, but I think it is way overblown and oversold by the preps. With CPA's impending schedule at the COP & I believe Beach Ball again, plus the Memphis deal, and one more big one if I remember then their exposure will be close to or possibly even greater than HP, plus Wiggins is no longer there so their exposure rate will be a bit down. This past season HP wasn't even allowed to play in the NHSI on ESPN. There again not trying to be totally disagreeable, but they have that rep w/D-1's and the NBA because they "recruit" players from established high school programs and then it makes them look good. A few of the preps are very well-coached, but in watching and trying to learn that is not the norm at all. Of those few preps they are coached by former successful high school coaches. I do understand what is being sold to these young men tradertwo and it is hard for them to seperate some of the facts sometimes.

You are speaking in realistic terms,but my thoughts are on the perception that these kids and their parents have about the 'preps.The only statement that I disagree with is that CPA could offer more exposure than Huntingdon...in various parts of your post you use the terms overblown and oversold,you acknowledge the fact that they do have "that rep w/D-1's and the NBA",and that the reason that they have it "makes them look good".Probably every basketball fan in Tennessee knows about CPA,but out of state if you know about Jalen your likely a college scout or a stat nerd,when on the other hand people watching the Nike game,Jordan Classic,or McDonalds All American's on national television hear the 'preps names year after year.How many people would've known about Wiggins had he stayed in Canada?He is gone from Huntingdon...but he has three of the top four or five programs in the country's offers on the table,and according to unapproved website would be the # 1 pick in the NBA draft were he elligible,and I believe that's the goal of most kids who make the choice to go there.

Most years I agree that HP offers more exposure than CPA or schools like them. CPA this coming year is playing in multiple big time exposure events so it "might" be a 1 year deal where the exposure would be similar. Wiggins move to HP was definitely something he should have done. You are totally correct about the "perception" of the players and parents these days. I hear that word "EXPOSURE" way too much even at my level, which although very successful I coach at a very small school in Florida. You make some great and very valid points tradertwo. Also sportsnerd, if the money situation is the case, then that is a very valid point too!

Most years I agree that HP offers more exposure than CPA or schools like them. CPA this coming year is playing in multiple big time exposure events so it "might" be a 1 year deal where the exposure would be similar. Wiggins move to HP was definitely something he should have done. You are totally correct about the "perception" of the players and parents these days. I hear that word "EXPOSURE" way too much even at my level, which although very successful I coach at a very small school in Florida. You make some great and very valid points tradertwo. Also sportsnerd, if the money situation is the case, then that is a very valid point too!

That's the way that I see it.and I also believe that it'll get to a point (maybe soon) where there's a major problem with recreuiting at the high school level.With the "success" that personal promoters are having involving charging parents to showcase their children's abalities to college scouts,and the showcase games and tourneys springing up across the country it's clear that there's a market for "agents".I use the word loosely but what else do you call someone who earns a profit by negotiating a better deal for your kid?More and more of the "prep school's names are becoming relevant on the national level,and the more prospects that gravitate to them for exposure the more successful that they'll become...sort of a free promotional vehicle for kids with the talent to play at a premeire D-1 school.Just my thoughts...I liked it better when kids played for their hometown school,but you can't blame them for chasing their dreams.

Edited by tradertwo

• 3 weeks later...

After reading the Tennessean this morning I wonder if Lindsey was ever asked about the upcoming CPA schedule directly. I know he said he needed to play against better players but I thought that was the purpose of their schedule by playing Findlay Prep and others. I would of liked to hear a direct response to that question.

The schedule is not the issue. His family was paying for him to go to CPA and live at home and he is on full scholorship, room and board at Huntington Prep playing similar level of competition and getting probably more exposure. What would you do?

Edited by sportsnerd

The schedule is not the issue. His family was paying for him to go to CPA and live at home and he is on full scholorship, room and board at Huntington Prep playing similar level of competition and getting probably more exposure. What would you do?

I'd stay at CPA for my senior season and be true to the school and play with my buddies....exposure, that's BS, he is well know by college coaches already. Seems like an ego thing to Hogan...just my 2 cents.

It's not just the competition of the season's schedule but the every day training that he will be getting at HP that I'm sure is enticing to him. CPA can't provide that - at least not this year. And if you have ever met Jalen, you would know that ego has NOTHING to do with it. He is a stand up kid, great manners with a good head on his shoulders. I'm a big fan and wish him the best!

Lindsey has 20 offers, including Louisville, Tennessee, Providence, Ohio State, Florida, N.C. State, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Auburn and LSU.

He hopes he improves enough at Huntington Prep to earn offers from elite programs such as Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and Kansas. All four are recruiting him.