Top 23 Games for Week 0: Webb at Maryville

Vols12345678

DEPTH DEPTH DEPTH. Webb's starters are good enough to play with just about anyone in the state. Just not a ton of depth behind them. Depth is the only thing IMO that kept Webb from upsetting Alcoa. Coaching at Webb is probably only second to Maryville in East TN. Look for a very good ball game, but Webb will have to play great to put themelves in position for a tough 4th quarter.

Maryville had one of their greatest teams 2 years ago. Webb fought hard but Maryville was too much.

Slightly off topic, but do you think that the 2014 Rebels will have a chance to give the 2011 team a run for their money? There is a lot of talent in Maryville's junior class this year B)

I expect a closer game this year. Maryville had one of their greatest teams 2 years ago. Webb fought hard but Maryville was too much.

I will say this. I truly believe had Aaron Blanche not got kicked off Webb's team in 2011 Webb wins state.

Maryville was very good that year and Webb was definately down. I think this year will be closer as well. And i agree with a healthy and in shape Aaron Blance Webb would have won state in 2011. Losing him hurt. And the shape he was in coming off of surgery for the maryville game was very poor. Its an privlage to play Maryville and i look forward to attending the game.

Edited by Spartan4Life

No, not even close. QB, OL, LB, DL, RB secondary etc. That 2011 team was an animal and the D was so good and loaded the coaches didnt even consider using our two 285lb O linemen on D who could have stopped anyone.] Watson was a LB playing DE and very physical, STRONG, fast and tougher than most I've seen. West was a LB that they used to lead block for Prevo and he smashed anyone in front of him. Everyone saw what the high powered Memphis O did to our D last year. Compare that to 2011 where they couldnt get in our endzone. Our juniors have "potential" but not on same level when you look at the body of work by 2011 team. They knew they were going to win every game. Very badass team. Our juniors have a lot of work to do to earn that kind of respect and toughness.

Back on topic. Who will be Webb's quarterback? Meske will have a few junk plays I think from the qb position ie TK's td pass last time. The crowd and seating for this game will be poor at Alcoa with all the other games that day and people hanging around wanting to see this one.

Slightly off topic, but do you think that the 2014 Rebels will have a chance to give the 2011 team a run for their money? There is a lot of talent in Maryville's junior class this year B)

A little too early to tell. The 3 best classes I ever seen at Maryville was the 1998 seniors with Chuck Prugh and Nick Black,The 2002 seniors with Carl Stewart and Brandon Waters and the 2011 class with Jay Guilermo and Patton Robinette.

Ron is right, those were stout teams. 2011 team avg'd 40 ppg in playoffs and only Riverdale got one TD on our starters. if I remember right. Bearden 35-0, SH 45-7, SC 41-7, Riverdale 42-14. Most teams never scored on our starting D that year including at state against the best. Memphis (avg 35 ppg 39-7 Germatown, 24-14 Arlington, 34-14 WS, 44-10 Mt Juliet) WH coach said their D was one of the best nationally and they were the fastest team in TN.

After that game the media asked GQ if this was the best D group he'd ever coached and he said it'd be hard to argue that it wasn't and it was as good a team we've ever had defensively based on how they shut out the Whitehaven O and Dodson who had 1890 yards and 28 TD's coming into state final. That team he said was awesome and loaded with seniors. We never needed Jay or Brandon to load the D line on a goal line stand or to stop a 4th and inches. BTW both of those guys were dead even in practice in one on ones against each other.

You can't project what a jr class or any class will do against what a previous class has earned. It's useless talk. Our jrs and sr's havent earned anything yet. One thing is certain, the bar was set high by those who paved the way for these groups coming up.

Fellers eye wood like two allsew add tha 2005 teem....Tha wuz vurry good and fizzycull att tha line ov scrimmige.....Led bye Gary Tucker, Josh Smith, Brock Evans, and a yung Aaron Douglass at TE.....On D line we haid Dwight Wood and Justin Voto at DE....and Tucker and Smith at DT...Tanner Caylor, Kat Kimsey, Valentine, Lawhon, and Cowboy Hall at LB....A lock down seccundairy.....Good QB'n frum Hunt and Burnette.....and a cupple ov strong, fast downhill runners wif Ryan Tallent (hoo showed upp Miami recroot Graig Cooper inn tha champeenship gaim) and Tank Baker....Tha wuz so dommynutt durin' tha yeer thait thay nevur wuz beehind inn enny ov thair gaims...........

Edited by STARSNBARS

Good point. 2005 was loaded. Watching that team execute was a pleasure. We'll have a back that looks and plays like Baker this season. The young man has spent some quality time in the gym. I think he's already squatted around 475lbs. Him and 4 year starter Prevo gonna be a big problem for D's.