Noise Makers for '13 & 14 - All Divisions...

Sommers

Team Scores AAA 1.  Cleveland  215.0 2.  Wilson Central  166.5 3.  Bradley Central  141.0 4.  Ravenwood  132.0 5.  Soddy Daisy  120.5 6.  Franklin  108.5 7.  Heritage  102.0 8.  Clarksville  98.5 9.  Cookeville  96.5 10.  Blackman  84.5 11.  Walker Valley  84.0 12.  Knoxville Halls  78.0 13.  Brentwood  76.0 14.  Riverdale  58.0 15.  Maryville  57.5 16.  Beech  55.5 17.  Dobyns Bennett  50.5 18.  Centennial  49.0 18.  Tennessee  49.0 20.  Collierville  42.0 20.  Science Hill  42.0 22.  John Overton  41.0

Actually Very Proud of both Hamm/Kramer & Ben Smith & co for finishing strong, blood, sweat and tears!!

For the rest of the state, at least Chattanooga/Bradley area schools didn't take the top four spots like years past.and middle TN got 6 of the top 10 and half the top 20. 

Congrats to Ronnie Bray after one of his most interesting years yet! ....besides 25+ pts lost due to Garrison, not coaching till Jan. etc., and his future wrestling champ born after years of trying, One major highlight is his highest finish next to Ridgeway in 05 and Blackman's highest state individual finish EVER (as far as points scored and matching the 10th spot in 2008 when the Blaze got 64 pts)!!

Edited by Sommers

Oh, gotta ask this, when was the last time chatt/bradley only placed three in the top 10?  WV did hang close however!!  Nice job Blair and crew!!

All of Chattanooga's other good programs and wrestlers are now in 1A/AA, helping the sport grow. At least a few are allowing us to claim Cleveland, Bradley and Walker Valley as part of our area. You only have Soddy Daisy, Ooltewah and E. Brainerd from Chattanooga proper competing with the big dogs in AAA anymore, my lord that sounds incredible. Of course we do still have Baylor and McCallie, but their over in another division helping private schools grow their programs.Soms, their spreading us to thin. Hard to carry all three divisons at the same time.

Just speculation but let's say a wrestler is upset after a close consolation semifinal loss and is deducted a team point as a result of his actions.

Then - this very same wrestler's coach places the name on the front of the singlet over the individual and tells the wrestler that he will go to the table for 5th place mat, shake the opponent's hand, shake the opponent's coach's hand, and forfeit the match and that he will accept the 6th place medal as further consequence of previous actions.

For dramatic effect, the wrestler's team finishes finishes behind Team X place by 1 point.

If this fictitious scenario were ever to happen, it might mean that some there are some folks in the world who value character development over numbers, or it might teach the wrestler something that will last a lifetime.

It was, but success goes far beyond that extra win. Hats off to Sly!

Sometimes folks will let things slide, even with cold sores, right? Could Blackman have tied or even surpassed Soddy without that disqualification? We'll never know, but wisdom gained I suppose.

WV... Again, congrats!

Midstate wins 13 state wrestling titles

Feb. 15, 2014 9:22 PM   |   0 Comments

Clarksville's heavyweight (AAA) Bruno Reagan pins Blackman's Austin Wells during the state individual wrestling finals on Feb. 15, 2014.

Written by

Maurice Patton

FRANKLIN — Middle Tennessee claimed 13 individual championships in Saturday’s state wrestling tournament at the Williamson County Ag Expo.

Perhaps the least likely of those was by Forrest senior 195-pounder Tyler McClendon, who reversed Chattanooga Central’s Truman Martin to his back in the second period and finished a pin to give the Marshall County school its first wrestling title in the first year of the Class A/AA competition.

“I’d been watching him throughout the tournament, hoping I’d get to see him,†McClendon said. “He’s been ranked over me all year. I’m just glad I got the opportunity to wrestle him in the state. It’s only my third year wrestling. I think I caught him off guard.â€

McClendon was one of four area wresters to advance to the Class A/AA finals. Sycamore’s Seth Douglas (126), M.L. King’s Avery Martin (145) and East Nashville’s Joseph Cartwright (285) finished second.

“I think the split is probably the best thing that has happened to us smaller schools,†Forrest coach Kyle Stacey said. “It gives our kids a chance and draws kids into the programs.â€

Hixson won the A/AA team competition, scoring 163.5 points to hold off Alcoa (155). Pigeon Forge, the A/AA duals champion, finished third with 134.5 points. East Nashville scored 62 points for 10th place, the best local finish.

Clarksville’s Bruno Reagan closed out a second consecutive unbeaten season with a second-period pin in the Class AAA 285-pound final against Blackman’s Austin Wells. Reagan was one of eight Midstate Class AAA champions.

“It’s really significant to go out on a good note,†said Reagan, a Vanderbilt football signee who has won his last 86 matches — going 50-0 as a junior and 36-0 this season. “It hasn’t really hit me yet, but it’s a big relief. The cutting weight, the stress, the practice, all the hard work, turns out in the end. I think I’ve made it as far as I can go with my wrestling career.â€

Region 6-AAA produced four champions — Independence’s Dillan Friesner (106), Brentwood’s Luke Hamilton (145), Ravenwood’s Taylor Warren (152) and Franklin’s Patrick Dooley (160).

Wilson Central, which placed second in the team competition, notched its first individual champions. At 132, senior Austin Richard avenged his only loss of the season with a 7-4 decision over Cleveland’s Austin Stevison, and 220-pound junior John Kramer edged Ravenwood’s Rex Shotts 5-4 after the two had split matches during the regular season.

“They both put a lot of time and sweat and blood and tears in,†Wilson Central coach John Kramer said of his two champions. “John, I’ve been coaching since he was 4, and I’ve been coaching Austin since sixth grade. It’s a great accomplishment for both of them.â€

Riverdale’s Sean Kennedy earned a 4-3 comeback win over Cleveland’s Josh Hamilton for the 170 crown, but Cleveland wound up scoring 215 points to win the team championship after defeating Wilson Central for the duals title two weeks ago. Wilson Central finished with 166.5 points, followed by Bradley Central (141), Ravenwood (132) and Soddy Daisy (120.5).

“It was really a team effort for us,†Kramer said. “Everybody contributed points for us. Last year we finished second (to Cleveland) in the duals and fifth here, so we’re definitely moving in the right direction. And 10 of our qualifiers are back next year.â€

Father Ryan rebounded from its Division II duals loss to Baylor to win the team championship with 233 points. The Irish had three champions — Eli King at 106, Chris Wesnofske at 132 and John Hagey at 170.

“All the hard work, everything we’ve done to this point, it feels like it paid off,†said Wesnofske, who defeated McCallie’s Brock Herring 6-3 in the final. “Now we’ll celebrate the win and get ready for next year.â€

Montgomery Bell Academy’s D’On Coofer won the 220-pound title, defeating Baylor’s Jon Schmissrauter 9-2.

McCallie placed second with 182.5 points, followed by Baylor (171), MBA (147) and Christian Brothers (137).

Reach Maurice Patton at 615-259-8018 and on Twitter @mopatton_sports.

Oh, gotta ask this, when was the last time chatt/bradley only placed three in the top 10? WV did hang close however!! Nice job Blair and crew!!

Wow! Seems there are a lot more middle TN teams in whatever area you pull for than the 3 out of 8 in the Chatt/Bradley area you are talking about. You want to take credit for all of Middle TN, which could be a span of 200 miles and give us credit for 5 schools in a 30 mile span. And to play the what if game..... What if a couple kids in our region took care of business at weigh ins last week the mighty Trojans may have edged one of those schools for a spot in the top 4.

It was, but success goes far beyond that extra win. Hats off to Sly!

Sometimes folks will let things slide, even with cold sores, right? Could Blackman have tied or even surpassed Soddy without that disqualification? We'll never know, but wisdom gained I suppose.

WV... Again, congrats!

I agree about the cold sore. The young man got hosed rules or not. Doesn't matter. Should the coaches of known the rules? Then is that a reflection on their program? Don't know. Done deal. This tourney seemed to have more than its fair share of 1 point losses. Especially in the consolations. I think even in 106 if you wrestle that same group 10 xs you would have 3,4,or 5 different winners. I think parody is great for all sports but as in most sports when you become successful you become the hunted. That's why what Bradley did for so long may never be repeated in this state. Not by a public school. And to even think a school like WV can be as good as they are in a county that size competing for talent with two of the most successful programs in the state over the last 20 yrs. well people can deny it if they want but it speaks well for that community.