Best Coach in DII

mustachiomenace

Amen ... Ricky is a good coach but that is one beast of a line .. I said last year when I saw them late in the year .. One of the best I have ever seen in highschool ... Possibly better this year. Like hitting oak trees I am sure

David Maske and Rick Bowers.

Ensworth didnt beat Maryville in yesterday's scrimmage because of Bowers. It was because of all those big monsters they have on OL and DL.

Bowers has always had the biggest check book, that's all.  Good coach, but put him at Overton, Hillwood, White House, Beech,  etc.  = no championships, period.

Bowers has done an excellent job regardless of the talent available. During his early years at Ensworth, he had far less talent than he now has, yet had excellent seasons and beat some very very talented teams. That success has led to more talent being attracted to him at Ensworth; kids attend that school for many diverse reasons, but any kid that wants to play football can appreciate the tremendous coaching and training he will receive from Bowers and the rest of his staff. Success breeds success, and Ensworth is clearly enjoying the truth of that maxim, but it all started with great coaching.

If anyone wants to see the type of coach Bowers is, I suggest that they attend an Ensworth basketball game. It is much easier to observe a coach in action in basketball than in football. Bower's basketball teams, featuring mostly kids that also play football, have won the last 3 D2-AA basketball state championships against teams with far more "basketball talent", including nationally ranked players and programs. Last year was a good example, when Ensworth, whose tallest player was a 6'4" sophomore whose natural position is shooting guard, beat Briarcrest (featuring 6'8" senior Austin Nichols) and gave the ultra-talented CPA a significant scare in the close confines of CPA's home gym. I sincerely doubt that anyone who has watched a Bowers-led basketball team will ever again accuse Ricky of simply "recruiting" talent and then just rolling out the balls to let them play. It's the same in football, though it may be harder for the average fan to see.

Edited by RedRobin1

And how do you know this ?

I know this b/c I follow TN High School sports heavily, have been to more Ensworth football and basketball games than I can count and the guy coached me several summers on the basketball court.  He is a good coach, as I mentioned, but if it weren't for the "put together, for the betterment of a poor under privileged kid's teams" that they keep over there on Hwy 100 his success would be greatly diminished.  It's not just football and boys hoops, as AD he's going and $ paying the way for volleyball and girls hoops players (probably soccer and lacrosse).  Maybe it's his Jumbotron?

I know this b/c I follow TN High School sports heavily, have been to more Ensworth football and basketball games than I can count and the guy coached me several summers on the basketball court.  He is a good coach, as I mentioned, but if it weren't for the "put together, for the betterment of a poor under privileged kid's teams" that they keep over there on Hwy 100 his success would be greatly diminished.  It's not just football and boys hoops, as AD he's going and $ paying the way for volleyball and girls hoops players (probably soccer and lacrosse).  Maybe it's his Jumbotron?

Sorry you couldn't get into Ensworth, Dude; we all know that heck hath no fury like a woman scorned. Keep on hatin' - I'm sure your life is better for it.

BEST COACH IN DII....BEST COACH IN DII...DII...DII...DII....

As happens all too frequently a Blount County booster/KoolAid drinker and/or DII hater shows up and attempts to hijack the thread by changing/expanding the topic (best coach in TN) so he can talk about his own team/coach and/or take a direct/indirect "pot shot" at a DII team/coach....

Never ceases to amaze me...

Baylorbigdog1976 posted on a "Murvil" blog 2 links to newspaper articles about THE SCRIMMAGE and was "hounded" for it (pun intended).  BTW Big Thanks to you BBD for those links which enabled the uninformed/disadvantaged in West TN to read about it. 

Edited by owlbooster

BEST COACH IN DII....BEST COACH IN DII...DII...DII...DII....

As happens all too frequently a Blount County booster/KoolAid drinker and/or DII hater shows up and attempts to hijack the thread by changing/expanding the topic (best coach in TN) so he can talk about his own team/coach and/or take a direct/indirect "pot shot" at a DII team/coach....

Never ceases to amaze me...

Baylorbigdog1976 posted on a "Murvil" blog 2 links to newspaper articles about THE SCRIMMAGE and was "hounded" for it (pun intended).  BTW Big Thanks to you BBD for those links which enabled the uninformed/disadvantaged in West TN to read about it. 

owlbooster:

There is a MUS/Whitehaven scrmmage thread over in the Class AAA (5A and 6A Playoff Teams) section. If you attended the scrimmage or have any knowledge of it, would you mind popping over to make a comment or two if you have anything you would like to say about it. I'd love to get your POV.

Thanks.

Now .... back to your regularly scheduled program.