Best football program in Wilson County

BKisler

I'm not going to be so quick to pull the 6A/5A big school beats the smaller school card so quickly as some you have done. I follow the logic of attrition well enough. However, in a one game series, anything is possible.

Fairley has beaten Whitehaven on occasion. Alcoa has beaten Maryville on occasion. I'm sure there are more situations that others can give account about. It happens. Can FCA beat Mt. Juliet? I would say probably ... on occasion.

Only way to find out is line them up and play. Everything else is just conjecture. It's fun to talk about.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to be so quick to pull the 6A/5A big school beats the smaller school card so quickly as some you have done. I follow the logic of attrition well enough. However, in a one game series, anything is possible.

Fairley has beaten Whitehaven on occasion. Alcoa has beaten Maryville on occasion. I'm sure there are more situations that others can give account about. It happens. Can FCA beat Mt. Juliet? I would say probably ... on occasion.

Only way to find out is line them up and play. Everything else is just conjecture. It's fun to talk about.

+1 from the gaucho of love!

Again, the title is "best program".

I agree with this poster. Best program would be the one that accomplished the most in it's respective classification. That would be FCA according to those standards.

Who would win between the two if they were to play each other is a different matter entirely.

When I think of "best program" I think of which one is going to win 9 out of 10 times when they line up and play each other. FC beating 2A schools for a state title when they recruited does not impress me one bit. It may impress some I guess. We all have different opinions I suppose. Watch two good 2A teams play each other, then watch two 5/6A play each other and tell me you don't notice a difference. FC is a good football team for sure, but they would not be ready to play for titles in bigger division ball.

I agree with this poster. Best program would be the one that accomplished the most in it's respective classification. That would be FCA according to those standards.

Who would win between the two if they were to play each other is a different matter entirely.

i think it should factor in at least somewhat, but i do agree that there are more factors at play when talking about best program.

i understand the difference between better "program" and better "team", but take a closer look at what we're actually comparing.

if mj was a 6a program that lost in the 1st or 2nd round every year, i could see more of an argument. but the truth is, mj is competing with the likes of 6a memphis, maryville, and rutherford county for shots at titles, all of whom have excellent programs that are on an at least even level with mt. juliet, while fc was competing against the likes of dresden and adamsville for titles, neither of whom are anywhere near being on an even level with fc.

because of that, i don't think fc's accomplishments the last two years are very much, if any more impressive than mj's two semifinal appearances in that same time frame.

AJ Long said uFCa was the best program in the county...that why he picked THEM OVER Mt Juliet and Wilson Central when he moved here...

Go ask anyone of those uFCa boys if they would swap there rings for a starting spot on Mt Juliet's team...i bet they laugh in your face.

While 6A teams no doubt have a huge depth advantage...i've seen my share of great 1A/2A teams that put 11 boys on the field,every bit as good as any 6A team....

Let me say this if uFCa were in 9AAA, they would be a perennial contender, in All sports, except baseball, they would probably dominate that sport.

AJ Long said uFCa was the best program in the county...that why he picked THEM OVER Mt Juliet and Wilson Central when he moved here...

Go ask anyone of those uFCa boys if they would swap there rings for a starting spot on Mt Juliet's team...i bet they laugh in your face.

While 6A teams no doubt have a huge depth advantage...i've seen my share of great 1A/2A teams that put 11 boys on the field,every bit as good as any 6A team....

Let me say this if uFCa were in 9AAA, they would be a perennial contender, in All sports, except baseball, they would probably dominate that sport.

Slim, Where do you think FC would have finished last year had they been in 9AAA ?

Beech, Mt Juliet, and Wilson Central would have beaten them. Station Camp, Hendersonville (depending on which team showed up) and Portland could have played with them. Probably would have beaten Gallatin and Lebanon. Now the catch is FCS had one of their best teams ever and only the top three could lay claim to that same thing. The middle portion of the district was very competitive and that's where I feel they would have been. Year in and year out, they do not have the amount of talent or numbers. Just too small at the moment. But take nothing away from what they accomplished. They won the ultimate prize at that level.

Would they give up their rings......heck no. That's stupid. They should be proud of their accomplishments. However if you are comparing the two current programs you have to look at the program and not just the results. Start at the top with administration and coaches. Roger Perry and McNeal are both good coaches. Their records speak for themselves. I know Trey is taking over but Roger has been the head of the program and will still be involved. Next, community support. Both programs have great support from the community. Student support is about equal as well if you take enrollment into consideration. I would say over the last five or so years both coaches have created a winning tradition at the respective schools. At this point I would say the two are fairly equal. Now the wins vs losses. In the last five years FCS is 54-11 with notable wins against Boyd B. and TC. They have two state titles. Mt Juliet is 50-13 with notable wins against Dickson Co, Brentwood, Beech, Oakland, and Siegel. They do not have any state titles. If you go by titles alone FCS is the better program. However if you go by the competition played I would have to say Mt Juliet is more impressive. If TSU runs the table and has an undefeated season does that mean that they could hang with the top tier Schools like Alabama, Georgia, Oregon, Ohio State, etc. No they couldn't even hang with the Vanderbilts, Michigan, USC, etc. Talent, depth of talent, competition and other characteristics make a better program.

Slim, I like the way you are thinking. After reading this thread it is apparent that most of the bigger schools don't think much of us smaller classification programs. The topic is best program and not which team would win if they went face to face. Most are saying which team wins face to face equals better program, which I don't think is the definition of "best program."

For example, no one will argue that Trousdale County is one of the best programs in the state of Tennessee since the 1970's. But, can Trousdale beat Beech or Mt. Juliet? Probably not, but I don't think many people are going to compare which program is better. It is Trousdale based on the success they have had at the level they compete.

I am not getting into who would beat who on any given night between FC and the other schools in Wilson County, but as good as Mt. Juliet has been the last 6-7 years the best program falls to the Commanders at FC based on their success at the level they compete.

Edited by orangecrush