11-AAA

Brentwood's really going to struggle this year, and you have to think that with a potential 1-3 start and big losses to Blackman and Oakland looming a first-year coach is going to have a hard time holding the team together. I actually think Woodward's a good coach (though I wonder if a Spread/zone blocking scheme is the best fit there long-term), but is paying for the way Pemberton did his best to wreck Crawford's program. It shouldn't be hard to imagine that if you dont lift weights or practice in pads for a whole year, you may still be able to churn out some good WRs but that you will develop zero good linemen. 

Wow Now we have Brentwood supporters coming out of the wood-work to flesh out the BHS program.

Also I know Brentwood has gone after select kids from other school's zones and may have had to "sell" a program change to influence their enrollment...

Coach Crawford's program was a perfect fit for his time at Brentwood. It just seems that working hard all year, playing smash mouth in the trenches, hard nosed defense, and a disciplined triple option attack is not as appealing as it's once was....

Edited by CasualBystander

Wow Now we have Brentwood supporters coming out of the wood-work to flesh out the BHS program.

Also I know Brentwood has gone after select kids from other school's zones and may have had to "sell" a program change to influence their enrollment...

Coach Crawford's program was a perfect fit for his time at Brentwood. It just seems that working hard all year, playing smash mouth in the trenches, hard nosed defense, and a disciplined triple option attack is not as appealing as it's once was....

Ha, well if you have any desire to, ya know, WIN at Brentwood, you need to out work other schools and be both sound and UNIQUE in the X's and O's. Brentwood is paying for Pemberton not doing the first, and I am confident Woodward meets the first 2. 

But I'd offer this on the "more fun" spread passing attack. Crawford ran a spread offense for roughly the first half of his tenure, when it was brand new to high school football and provided a real challenge to DCs. As spread sets, zone blocking, and air raid passing concepts became more commonplace and he realized that you cant count on having a top-flight QB at a place like Brentwood every year, he moved to the option. Which set off another run of Brentwood excellence: 3 straight District Titles and the 4th year was a Quarterfinals appearance. 

With almost every team running the spread in the district and across the state it seems, I wonder if Brentwood would be better off with a different scheme... Not that this is why they're going to struggle this year, I think I've been clear on why I think that is. 

The stats on the other site are incorrect. The Indy QB was 20/28 for 292 yards with 2 TDs. The rushing game ran the football 22 times for 73 yards and 2 more scores. The defense came away with 3 INTs and 4 red zone stops vs a scrappy opponent.

Indy fans have to like their chances even more now against a Hurd-less Beech team.

Crawford was a good at knowing his personnel. He also had a very capable staff (Hester, Gore), and their expertise has been recognized by other programs. It helps when you have 3 head coach potential minds in the office. Hence their X&Os always matched their kids very well.

But I honestly think that Brentwood always had consistently tremendous down linemen, and they will make any scheme look effective. Many have pointed to BHS' lack of size & movement upfront and that will impair a spread, triple option, or a pro-style offense. As the size comes back, so will the effective potency of Brentwood's defense & offense. The question is: will Brentwood develop and employ its size properly (because big bodies don't do it alone -- ask Ravenwood over the past few years). 

After getting a chance to watch pieces of the Brentwood game last night. I believe things are not as dire as Bruin fans would have many believe.

Brentwood played a tough Blackman team after a tough loss to CPA, and they fought hard and gave Blackman everything they wanted for 3 quarters.

Coach W's scheme is putting Brentwood in a chance to win games, he is getting his best players involved consistently. Brentwood may not be the Titan they were last year, and they may have murderer's row for a schedule, but I see them being a tough win for anybody on their schedule.

After getting a chance to watch pieces of the Brentwood game last night. I believe things are not as dire as Bruin fans would have many believe.

Brentwood played a tough Blackman team after a tough loss to CPA, and they fought hard and gave Blackman everything they wanted for 3 quarters.

Coach W's scheme is putting Brentwood in a chance to win games, he is getting his best players involved consistently. Brentwood may not be the Titan they were last year, and they may have murderer's row for a schedule, but I see them being a tough win for anybody on their schedule.

They were a tough game until Blackman figured out that they could line up the ball and just mash Brentwood bewteen the tackles, something Oakland will no doubt do from the get go.

Brentwood has a scrappy defense and a smart, athletic QB. They'll win their fair share of games and will fair well in their district. But in the trenches is where they are going to get exposed in the regular season and the playoffs

They were a tough game until Blackman figured out that they could line up the ball and just mash Brentwood bewteen the tackles, something Oakland will no doubt do from the get go.

Brentwood has a scrappy defense and a smart, athletic QB. They'll win their fair share of games and will fair well in their district. But in the trenches is where they are going to get exposed in the regular season and the playoffs

When I watched the CPA film I noticed the tailback for CPA getting chunk's of yardage between the tackles. We attacked them there somewhat early but seemed to get sidetracked trying to get outside and passing for the middle section of the first half. The last drive of the first half I thought we had them on their heals and had to settle for the field goal attempt. Second half different story first drive we went big on big and did a great job of exposing their weaknesses in the front seven. As for B-wood they appeared to lack quick strike capabilities and will have to rely on long extended drives to score unless the get a short field to work with. I would have paid to hear the half time speech. One dad said he asked his son what was said he answered "the only thing I remember was him yelling". Shout out to Charlie Davidson for some hard running, man that's hard running! :popcorneater: