11-AAA

It was a struggle for Dickson Co. tonight against Henry Co. We lost 4-1 and couldn't get much of anything going offensiviely. But I predict a lot of people are gonna struggle against HC's defense this year. Good size and very quick.

Even still, we need to get a lot more physical if we want to compete in this district.

Brentwood was a little more sloppy against Cane Ridge than they were against Station Camp. The offensive line did not have much success giving Maher enough time to do much in the passing game, but Maher and Wells both still had a few nice long runs out of the read option. The defense gave up a few big plays, but they also made several nice plays as well. I'm hoping the main problem is just guys still learning to mesh well enough to minimize the mistakes; I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I'd say at least 8 of the defensive starters this year did not start last year. Here's to hoping 2 more weeks of practice can help.  

From what I saw 1's-on-1's it was: Cane Ridge 1 - Brentwood 1

This is not a typical Brentwood team in terms of up-front size & muscle, and like others have eluded to that is leading to a struggle running the ball between the tackles. The spread-option seems to only be successful when Maher (QB) keeps it. But then again as "Myhumbleopinion" maybe it was a sloppy day for the Bruins.

Both teams were running similar spread offenses with 3-4 wide-outs, shotgun, and 1 running back formations. Cane Ridge ran more jet sweep motions and pistol sets. I believe Cane Ridge's athleticism gave BHS issues, and was a monkey-wrench in Brentwood's spread.

Summit scrimmaged Smyrna last night at their place. I thought the Bulldogs were a much better team than the two we played in the spring; Station Camp and Wilson Central. Smyrna scored three times on our varsity defense. Summit had a long drive of ones vs ones stopped by a fumble inside the 10. The jv's played next and the Bulldogs scored twice I believe. Summit's jv had an even longer drive stopped by a pick on the goal line. Worked on special teams after that. It was good to get some work in against a traditional and storied big school power that appears to be on the way back up. Summit entertains Fairview Friday night.

Stopped by the Independence/ Columbia Central scrimmage on my home from work. Here's what I saw:

Indy got the ball first and drove the length of the field. Did a good job distributing the ball to all their talented skill players. But they fumbled on the goal line. I think it was on the center from the reaction of Blade. CC put together a bit of drive but had to punt. The Lions then held Indy to a three and out. Columbia fumbled shortly thereafter. Indy put together a bit of a drive only to lose the ball on downs when they failed to convert about a fourth and four or so. Columbia started to move the ball but ended up turning it over on a beautiful pick by Wharton. He came out of nowhere to snag the ball. That led to a nice drive by Indy which ended up with a TD pass to Wharton. He is slippery and fast. CC didn't do much on their next drive and punted. Indy went a long drive that was kept alive by a fantastic catch by VW on 4th and long. He adjusted in air to get behind the DB and pull down the ball. But Indy fumbled again on the goal line. This fumble was picked up by the Lions and resulted in a 99 yd TD the other way. Indy came back out with their first unit (tho second string QB) but Columbia put in their entire second team defense. About half way through that drive Indy pulled their starting skill players but kept the starting line in place. The Eagles ended up scoring on that drive. Then the subs started really coming in so I left.

It was a pretty sloppy scrimmage overall. Indy has a scrappy defense. The secondary is obviously talented, but so are the linebackers. The DT's are TINY however. One is 5'7" the other is 5'8" maybe. He runs real well tho and hits hard. The DE's got after it too. The Eagles OLine is the weak link. The LT and C are big and upperclassmen. But the LG and right side averages maybe 5'10" and 190 lbs. They got pushed around a lot which led to limited rushing yards and hurried passes. That's about it except to say that IHS is really loaded with skill players. There is another Stribling on the way and they have a kid who moved back from Alabama who has talent to play on the next level. The two kids I thought would play QB are at LB and FS. The QB is a senior who has a nice arm and good wheels. He got away from trouble a lot when the line broke down. The Eagles were definitely disciplined, focused, and hit hard. No doubt who is in charge of that team this year.

From what I saw at the Indy vs. Columbia scrimmage:

1) Both teams looked better on defense than offense.

2) Indy does not have any muscle & size up front (on either DL or OL)

3) Indy struggled throwing the football (regardless of all the athletic speed on the field)

Indy's lack of linemen definitely seems to be impairing their ability to run the ball between the tackles. On defense they seem to be trying to mask the lack of DL with a hybrid 2-6-3.

VW is on the field and moving well, however he seems to still be cautiously stretching the hip & back continually. Blades offense is constantly pairing VW & Golden on the same side of the field 9which could be a headache for DCs in the region)