Riverdale Coach and Tennessean Sports article

hardtackle

The first thing I noticed when I saw the picture was the perceived look of a deer in the headlights of the coach.

Second thing I noticed was the use of EXCUSES by the Coach to deflect blame away on himself and put it on the 'talent', or lack there of. Second part of the second part is the total lack of ideas expressed by the coach to fix this.

Third thing I noticed was the tone of the entire article, which is the season is done and over so don't expect any better from the program.

Now while a few call me negative, I know if I was a young player, I would NOT want to play for this man. Oh yea I forgot.......this was an earlier excuse for the declining numbers for R'dale vs the same sized schools in the same town.

No young man is birthed with football greatness. It is learned from Men who can teach it.

While Coach A may be a really good wing-t coach, he does NOT have the skill to pick a staff that can teach it. That's solely on HIM!

Coach is admitting he can't win without better and more talent that the other team, so basically I suck as a coach! :popcorneater:  

Tito, reach me a tissue!!!! :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Edited by mykidsdad

The interesting part about the article is that Coach A said Coach Rankin saw the drain in talent coming and implied that was the reason he left.  Coach Rankin is in his 7th year at Alcoa HS.  I seriously doubt he was running through the elementary schools to determine what talent was going to come up that many years down the road.  Many years ago Oakland and Riverdale got all of the Murfreesboro talent.  Now they are divided into 4 high schools, but despite that Riverdale is still one of the largest schools in the state.  Blackman, Oakland, and Siegel are also having to share the same talent in Murfreesboro.  Last time I looked, those 3 schools have done pretty well.  Talent comes and goes, but good coaching and a program can weather those waves.  Sounds more like a preemptive strike to avoid being fired.

The interesting part about the article is that Coach A said Coach Rankin saw the drain in talent coming and implied that was the reason he left.  Coach Rankin is in his 7th year at Alcoa HS.  I seriously doubt he was running through the elementary schools to determine what talent was going to come up that many years down the road.  Many years ago Oakland and Riverdale got all of the Murfreesboro talent.  Now they are divided into 4 high schools, but despite that Riverdale is still one of the largest schools in the state.  Blackman, Oakland, and Siegel are also having to share the same talent in Murfreesboro.  Last time I looked, those 3 schools have done pretty well.  Talent comes and goes, but good coaching and a program can weather those waves.  Sounds more like a preemptive strike to avoid being fired.

He knew. When he knew more schools were being built , he knew it would difficult to remain top dog. 

• Upvote 1

That article is pathetic.  It's like saying we're not bigger, stronger, faster and more talented than everybody else anymore.  Now we actually have to coach. uh-oh!  "I'm gonna take my ball and go home"  Somebody call a Waaaambulance.  That's embarrassing.  I feel bad for the players

We all know that if it is in ink it is true,come on.

Do you not 'think' that Rankin would also know that there would be more schools built where Alcoa is also?

That dog is old and needs to be retired too.

Come on dad , we are never going to agree and will never know if this situation would be the same if GR was still the coach. I just thought the article was very timely.