Riverdale Coach and Tennessean Sports article

hardtackle

Sometimes a head coach just is not a good fit at a certain school. I thought that from the beginning in this situation. Football coaches are notoriously single minded in their approach. They fight ANY change with absolute ferocity. 99% will stick to their comfort zone. The wing T was a great system for Coach A at Hillsboro. It fit both the physical and mental aspects of his personnel. However, I just do not think it has ever been the right fit for the personnel at Riverdale. As far as numbers if a kid wants to play football he will play football regardless of the coaching. This "I don't like the coach" crap is an excuse. I didn't always like my high school coach either but I would NEVER have let him keep me from playing. Have to question the players true desire at that point.

Aydelott has never had large participation numbers. He always had lower numbers to work with at Hillsboro simply because so many "athletes" in Metro struggle with eligibility issues as well as many are just lazy and not willing to put in the work. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen kids go up to a head coach after school has started wanting to play football simply because they did not want to have to go through the preseason grind. This has always been THE major problem at McGavock also.You can only put up with so much absenteeism.

It used to mean something to kids to just be part of the program. These days kids are just not willing to pay their dues and earn their time. If they are not starting they would rather just quit than work harder. Product of our whole society and the I'm ok you are ok mentality. It has destroyed our public school system as we put out kids who are unprepared for failure when the real world hits them. They have been used to just hitting  the reset button when things are not going their way and they cannot handle failure. Now we are forced by an idiot that has never been in a classroom to award a kid a 50 even if he sleeps through the whole class or just plain does not do anything. Heaven forbid it just MIGHT be the kids fault and he needs to fail.

Long story short, Coach A should either adapt to his personnel scheme-wise or or go somewhere with athletes that fit into the wing T mentality. Any coach can understand that. This is why college coaches recruit to their system. Since legally he does not have that option he needs to go where the kids are.  Sometimes it is just better to bring in your line and go to a new fishing hole.

And before anybody preaches to me about the youth of today, I am in my 22nd year of teaching/coaching and I have worked in both Metro and county schools. Come spend the day with me. Heck, come spend one hour and then be enlightened.

Another great post! 

Sometimes a head coach just is not a good fit at a certain school. I thought that from the beginning in this situation. Football coaches are notoriously single minded in their approach. They fight ANY change with absolute ferocity. 99% will stick to their comfort zone. The wing T was a great system for Coach A at Hillsboro. It fit both the physical and mental aspects of his personnel. However, I just do not think it has ever been the right fit for the personnel at Riverdale. As far as numbers if a kid wants to play football he will play football regardless of the coaching. This "I don't like the coach" crap is an excuse. I didn't always like my high school coach either but I would NEVER have let him keep me from playing. Have to question the players true desire at that point.

Aydelott has never had large participation numbers. He always had lower numbers to work with at Hillsboro simply because so many "athletes" in Metro struggle with eligibility issues as well as many are just lazy and not willing to put in the work. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen kids go up to a head coach after school has started wanting to play football simply because they did not want to have to go through the preseason grind. This has always been THE major problem at McGavock also.You can only put up with so much absenteeism.

It used to mean something to kids to just be part of the program. These days kids are just not willing to pay their dues and earn their time. If they are not starting they would rather just quit than work harder. Product of our whole society and the I'm ok you are ok mentality. It has destroyed our public school system as we put out kids who are unprepared for failure when the real world hits them. They have been used to just hitting  the reset button when things are not going their way and they cannot handle failure. Now we are forced by an idiot that has never been in a classroom to award a kid a 50 even if he sleeps through the whole class or just plain does not do anything. Heaven forbid it just MIGHT be the kids fault and he needs to fail.

Long story short, Coach A should either adapt to his personnel scheme-wise or or go somewhere with athletes that fit into the wing T mentality. Any coach can understand that. This is why college coaches recruit to their system. Since legally he does not have that option he needs to go where the kids are.  Sometimes it is just better to bring in your line and go to a new fishing hole.

And before anybody preaches to me about the youth of today, I am in my 22nd year of teaching/coaching and I have worked in both Metro and county schools. Come spend the day with me. Heck, come spend one hour and then be enlightened.

You are right.  Sometimes it is better to bring in your line and go to a new fishing hole. And, if you have lost as much faith in teenagers as your post suggests, that new fishing hole may be a new career for you.  And what do you mean by mental aspects?  Are you saying you have to attend an international baccalaureate like Hillsboro to run the wing-t?  

You are right.  Sometimes it is better to bring in your line and go to a new fishing hole. And, if you have lost as much faith in teenagers as your post suggests, that new fishing hole may be a new career for you.  And what do you mean by mental aspects?  Are you saying you have to attend an international baccalaureate like Hillsboro to run the wing-t?  

Hardly. If anything it would be the opposite. As far as my career goes, in the words of the Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose "It's too late, to turn back now". I show up each day and do what I have to do in spite of the interference of government people who really have no idea what goes on each day.  In 8 years all bets are off.

To be honest, I really don't care if RA stays at Riverdale or not. He was always a decent guy to me, Bobby Wells also. I used to ride around in his jeep when he first finished playing ball in the mid-80's. His brother and I were friends.  

I enjoy reading all the back and forth between the two sides. But I don't care what anybody says, if a kid says I don't want to play because I don't like the coach that kid has no heart anyway. Period. I hated one of my high school coaches. HATED. But I would never have let him keep me from playing a game I loved. Who really wins there?

Hardly. If anything it would be the opposite. As far as my career goes, in the words of the Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose "It's too late, to turn back now". I show up each day and do what I have to do in spite of the interference of government people who really have no idea what goes on each day.  In 8 years all bets are off.

To be honest, I really don't care if RA stays at Riverdale or not. He was always a decent guy to me, Bobby Wells also. I used to ride around in his jeep when he first finished playing ball in the mid-80's. His brother and I were friends.  

I enjoy reading all the back and forth between the two sides. But I don't care what anybody says, if a kid says I don't want to play because I don't like the coach that kid has no heart anyway. Period. I hated one of my high school coaches. HATED. But I would never have let him keep me from playing a game I loved. Who really wins there?

Hopefully there is a Coach on the staff they do want to play for. Unfortunately Coach A has not put together a staff that has even one coach the kids want to play for.

If you ask my son if he played for Rankin he would say ____NO! Hated the man's guts and even threw up on his shoes once after they had run the snake three times. He played for other Coaches he did respect. Britton, McDaniels, White, and the Head Coaches at both Oakland and Siegel. He also played for and respected Coach Fields. If he had played defense he would have played HARD for Coach Breedon. He didn't but he really LIKED him.

Did my son like the hard work? No, but he did it because it was asked of him by men who LED instead of 'managed'.

I'm late to the party on this thread. The one thing that sticks out in my mind from this article, and an earlier article in the DNJ, is how Aydelott refuses to accept any responsibility...it's all on the kid's work ethic and talent level, or rezoning, or whatever...

Most real leaders tend to say that the buck stops at their desk...even if that's not what they believe. I don't think Aydelott can see beyond his ego to identify problems and fix them. That, or it's just plain laziness.