Ricky Bowers and Ensworth have killed Tn football

cowboypete

You know meritage there are people who just want to see BA fail and are happy when they do. I get it. But the reality is RIGHT NOW there are only a handful of teams in this state who would not be run off the field by them.

They have lost 3 games now everyone wants to say they have lost their swagger ....they are having a down year.. Enjoy it while you can fellas ... Because it will not last and it may very well already be over.

This team is improving and they are absolutely loaded thru 2016. So get in your laughs and jabs while you can... This very young team is growing up.

Wow, another uninformed poster. While it won't be like last yr, BA will again have at least 4-5 guys go on to play college football and likely multiple guys playing @ DI pgms. Last yr's squad has 8 playing college football. And Sanders is probably the best skill guy in the state right now and he is only a Jr (also the fastest kid in the state most likely come track season). I spoke to his mom last wk at the McCallie game and every top pgm in the country is after him. And he is only one of many. I've asked this question 100 times - where do you people come from? I recall some other less than well thought out posts from you on this board. Now, i see this one was at 6:30 or so so i guess by now your mom has told you it is bedtime.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976
  • Upvote 1

Which underclassmen have interest from D1 schools?

OL/DL Jackson Pittman -- Jr, 6-2, 285 

DB Aaquil Annoor -- Jr, 5-9, 160 -- Interest from Vandy, UT, UGA, Cincy

WR CJ Sanders -- Jr, 5-10, 163 -- 4-star recruit according to 247Sports; multiple offers from SEC, Big 10, Pac 12

RB Shawn Brashers -- Jr, 6-1, 190

In addition, there are several sophomores who have earned varsity action this season and will pique the interest of college coaches as they gain more exposure. Offensive linemen Bryce Mathews and Ryan Johnson, defensive tackle Brandon Adams and safety Chris Hopkins are among the sophomores this coaching staff really likes. 

Chris Sanders was on 102.5 a couple of weeks ago.....said CJ had an offer from Stanford and that CJ was really interested.  Also mentioned Vandy, UT, et al that had offered CJ.

The way he's playing this year, that attention will only increase. Butch Jones' presence at a game where Sanders caught a touchdown pass, ran for a score and returned a kick deep into McCallie territory won't hurt the junior's cause.

Sanders' stats this year:

30 catches, 511 yards, 10 TDs

17 yards per catch, 2 rushing TDs

3 punt returns for 113 yards and a TD

29.5 yards per kickoff return

He's really improved his game and turned into an explosive player.

The way he's playing this year, that attention will only increase. Butch Jones' presence at a game where Sanders caught a touchdown pass, ran for a score and returned a kick deep into McCallie territory won't hurt the junior's cause.

Sanders' stats this year:

30 catches, 511 yards, 10 TDs

17 yards per catch, 2 rushing TDs

3 punt returns for 113 yards and a TD

29.5 yards per kickoff return

He's really improved his game and turned into an explosive player.

Sorry for the off-subject post, but speaking of punt returns (kind of)....... the return by BT against McCallie that clearly was downed by the McCallie player's foot (right as the BA announcer says, "because nobody ever touched it"), is hilarious.  The officials blew that one.

It's on youtube - search "brandon taylor returns punt 82 yards"

Sorry for the off-subject post, but speaking of punt returns (kind of)....... the return by BT against McCallie that clearly was downed by the McCallie player's foot (right as the BA announcer says, "because nobody ever touched it"), is hilarious.  The officials blew that one.

It's on youtube - search "brandon taylor returns punt 82 yards"

I'm the BA announcer. While the McCallie player did touch the ball with his foot, that does not constitute downing the football. For a punt to be declared dead, it must: 1) Be stopped and controlled by a member of the punt team, or, 2) Come to a complete stop with no effort by the returner to pick it up. In this case, the McCallie player touched the ball with his foot, but did not control it. Taylor immediately made a move toward the football, negating condition #2.

When I said on the broadcast that the player did not touch it, I didn't realize the McCallie player had even touched it with his foot. Call that a simple announcing goof. :) My color commentator was quick to correct me. But the officials were correct in their ruling.

Edited by WesVLT

I'm the BA announcer. While the McCallie player did touch the ball with his foot, that does not constitute downing the football. For a punt to be declared dead, it must: 1) Be stopped and controlled by a member of the punt team, or, 2) Come to a complete stop with no effort by the returner to pick it up. In this case, the McCallie player touched the ball with his foot, but did not control it. Taylor immediately made a move toward the football, negating condition #2.

When I said on the broadcast that the player did not touch it, I didn't realize the McCallie player had even touched it with his foot. Call that a simple announcing goof. :) My color commentator was quick to correct me. But the officials were correct in their ruling.

The rules relating to kicks (of any sort) are confusing at times, and very poorly understood. As you describe it, the McCallie player's action constitutes "first touching." This marks the worst spot BA would receive the ball if they tried to return the ball. Conversely, and adding to the confusion, is the fact that if the ball had struck a BA player, McCallie could have recovered the ball, but not advanced it. The best summary of this situation is, "A kick is a kick until someone possesses it." McCallie never possessed the ball. 

The rules relating to kicks (of any sort) are confusing at times, and very poorly understood. As you describe it, the McCallie player's action constitutes "first touching." This marks the worst spot BA would receive the ball if they tried to return the ball. Conversely, and adding to the confusion, is the fact that if the ball had struck a BA player, McCallie could have recovered the ball, but not advanced it. The best summary of this situation is, "A kick is a kick until someone possesses it." McCallie never possessed the ball. 

My bad guys.  Thanks for the explanation.  I guess BT knew what he was doing when he picked that ball up  :rolleyes:.  Makes it an even more impressive play.  The more I think I know about the rule intricacies - the less I know.

My bad guys.  Thanks for the explanation.  I guess BT knew what he was doing when he picked that ball up  :rolleyes:.  Makes it an even more impressive play.  The more I think I know about the rule intricacies - the less I know.

No worries. The rules are pretty vague and punting situations often seem nebulous.

I became a referee after following football closely (non-friends would say obsessively) for 45 years. I'm amazed at how little I knew. It is the most complex game I can imagine.

• Upvote 1

BT did make a heads up play BUT i spoke to a few of the BA coaches after the game and this is something they practice all of the time, and as soon as they saw what mccallie did (not control possession) they hollered at BT to pick it up. In fact the freshman coach (who also assists with varsity) said he had it happen in one of his games this yr. He was one of the ones telling BT to pick it up and go. Not to take anything away from BT - great kid and great play

• Upvote 1