William Blount offseason thread

Governm

William Blount returns almost all of their starters from a team that killed Loudon last year, so its safe to say they will beat them.

As for Heritage.. I believe I have said this 100 times.. WB has beaten Heritage 17 years in a row. We are in their heads man. In fact Heritage has beaten Maryville twice since they have beaten us, that should say enough. But to add to that Heritage has only won 1 game the past 2 years... When I saw them last year most ( if not all) of their starters were playing both ways and they didn't have have size or speed. So I fail to see why everyone is so confident that Heritage is going to be able to beat us.

I think because everyone has seen or heard about the good things happening at heritage. A quality coach that knows how to win and turn a program around, and kids who believe it and bought into it. On the other hand, everyone seems to say that the WB program is almost in disarray with little to no displine. And, despite your opinion, the lack of talent to compensate for it.

On of the great things about football, and all sports in general, is that the last 17 years don't mean a thing. It doesn't matter what's happened in the past. These are two different football programs under new leadership with different types of kids. And it just so happens that the leadership for one program is head and shoulders above the other one.

I think because everyone has seen or heard about the good things happening at heritage. A quality coach that knows how to win and turn a program around, and kids who believe it and bought into it. On the other hand, everyone seems to say that the WB program is almost in disarray with little to no displine. And, despite your opinion, the lack of talent to compensate for it.

On of the great things about football, and all sports in general, is that the last 17 years don't mean a thing. It doesn't matter what's happened in the past. These are two different football programs under new leadership with different types of kids. And it just so happens that the leadership for one program is head and shoulders above the other one.

I know you have a good coach, but what else do you have? As I said... when I watched them last year they had all their starters playing both ways and only won 1 game... How exactly does that bode well for this season? So you have a few kids that came out from other sports, the question is can they play? And Yes.. Whether you want to believe it or not WB has better talent then Heritage.. We have size, speed, and some talented skill guys every year. The score of the game last year was deceiving because WB was in a really bad funk in the middle part of the season.. I expect WB to bounce back and throttle Heritage this year. I'm sorry but I'm not drinking the Red and Blue koolaid, they haven't proven anything to me.

I'm hearing Loudon will be good this year and I'm also hearing Heritage had over eighty come out for spring and the best practice's they have had since the new coaching staff has been there. If what I'm hearing and what I saw against Catholic those two wins may not be as easy as you may think.

I don't look for any of the wins to be easy.....I agree that Loudon was young last year and has pretty much everyone back, and I expect them to be much improved......I have already bragged on the fact that I think Heritage is headed in the right direction, and I expect that game to be a dogfight......I am not worried too much about what everyone else has, what I worry about is will WB be the best that they can be.....I know the kids that WB has and I really believe with some changes, they have the ability to be improved over last year, but without the changes, it will be the same old stuff we have become accustomed to.  Every coaches job revolves around getting the most out of the players that they have, and sometimes this means making tough decisions for the better of the whole.....I maintain that if the coaches get serious about having the best "team" possible, WB has the kids there to have 6 winnable games on the schedule, and if they don't we are looking at another 2 or 3 win season.  So, in August when I make my predictions about the season everyone will be able to tell whether I think any changes have been made.

Edited by jake

WB beat a smaller school and Heritage last year. I'm not sure the gap is as wide as you believe.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, but there were games that WB didn't look half bad and was very close......and then there were games that I left scratching my head.  I thought the JV looked much better as a "team" last year (I think they won 6 or 7 and had one with HV end in a tie).  I would think that coaches would notice the continuity there and realize what is happening at the varsity level.....from what I have seen the last few years (middle school and into high school), I would have to say that WB definitely has better overall talent than Heritage.....the difference is the coach at Heritage has his kids playing as a team, and therefore they actually play above their talent level, and the true talent level at WB is never being recognized because we don't have that team concept.  With that being said, I am not trying to say that WB has Maryville type talent, because we are no where close, but we do have some decent young kids there.

WB beat a smaller school and Heritage last year. I'm not sure the gap is as wide as you believe.

True... But that is deceiving... Keep in mind that WB lost a bunch of close games, including a 1 point loss to a mo east team that went 9-1 and won a playoff game.. Can we same the same of Heritage? They got beat like a redheaded stepchild in most games last year.

You could make a case that your 3 or 4 best are better than their 3 or 4 best, but outside some D1 difference maker the majority of teams in East Tennessee are relatively even talent wise. Depth, Development physically and technically, execution of scheme and dealing with adverse circumstances is usually the difference in high school football teams.

It may not be this year, but in the very near future Hammontree will overtake WB in the standing of both county and district norms.