CAK @ Alcoa (round 2)

BCsportsfan

With all due respect to the Tornadoes, who definitely are the odds on favorite in this game, I do expect the Warriors to give Alcoa more competition than they've had in the first two rounds.  I don't expect a blow-out, although the game could certainly get away from the Warriors if they have more than 1-2 turnovers.

CAK will be back at mostly full strength in terms of a couple of key players who were either out for the season game, or not fully healed at the time of that game.  Alcoa will almost certainly break some big scoring plays on offense, but with the guys back who missed or weren't healthy for the first game, hopefully the CAK defense can reduce the frequency of Alcoa's long scores.  It will take CAK D's best performance of the year for the Warriors to have a chance for the W.

On the other side of the ball, CAK's freshman QB was in his second start during the season game.  He has settled down quite a bit since then, and the extra experience and confidence he's gained since the season game can only help him this Friday.  

In my opinion, CAK has the potential to be able to run the ball with some modest success against Alcoa.  Of course, I'm not stupid and I don't expect CAK to run wild against Alcoa's D, but I do think 100 yds rushing is not beyond reach.  And if CAK can rush with some modest success, it will take some pressure off the young QB.  Coach RB will have to be committed to running the ball, and if we get 2 yds the first rush, he can't give up and resort to passing every play.

To sum it up, it could get ugly, but I personally expect a reasonably competitive game.  If CAK gets a couple of turnovers and the defense plays its best game of the season, the Warriors will have a chance.  Too many turnovers by the Warriors, or if the Warrior D doesn't have an outstanding performance, the Tornadoes will pull away and be well on their way to another gold ball.

With all due respect to the Tornadoes, who definitely are the odds on favorite in this game, I do expect the Warriors to give Alcoa more competition than they've had in the first two rounds. I don't expect a blow-out, although the game could certainly get away from the Warriors if they have more than 1-2 turnovers.

CAK will be back at mostly full strength in terms of a couple of key players who were either out for the season game, or not fully healed at the time of that game. Alcoa will almost certainly break some big scoring plays on offense, but with the guys back who missed or weren't healthy for the first game, hopefully the CAK defense can reduce the frequency of Alcoa's long scores. It will take CAK D's best performance of the year for the Warriors to have a chance for the W.

On the other side of the ball, CAK's freshman QB was in his second start during the season game. He has settled down quite a bit since then, and the extra experience and confidence he's gained since the season game can only help him this Friday.

In my opinion, CAK has the potential to be able to run the ball with some modest success against Alcoa. Of course, I'm not stupid and I don't expect CAK to run wild against Alcoa's D, but I do think 100 yds rushing is not beyond reach. And if CAK can rush with some modest success, it will take some pressure off the young QB. Coach RB will have to be committed to running the ball, and if we get 2 yds the first rush, he can't give up and resort to passing every play.

To sum it up, it could get ugly, but I personally expect a reasonably competitive game. If CAK gets a couple of turnovers and the defense plays its best game of the season, the Warriors will have a chance. Too many turnovers by the Warriors, or if the Warrior D doesn't have an outstanding performance, the Tornadoes will pull away and be well on their way to another gold ball.

I know all in the Alcoa community knew if CAK made the playoffs,they would make a deep run and be back for a rematch. The Alcoa Coaches have been practicing and prepping for this match-up for weeks. Like in years past, Alcoa's toughest games were typically CAK. And the last two years I would think CAK would say Alcoa was their toughest game to the Championship. It is these games that has made Alcoa and CAK better. Alcoa will not face a better passing team than CAK and Maryville. CAK will not typically face a better physical style running attack than Alcoa.

I just wish the two teams could be "thrown" to opposite sides of the state in the playoffs! CAK would give the west side of the bracket "fits". And,......my money would be on CAK to make it to Cookeville. 

So..........Howdy, Sorry no ambush this year, or ever when these two teams stand on the same football field!

Agreed...both teams have made each other better.  Playing each other twice a year certainly accelerated CAK's maturation process for an upstart program like ours was when we moved into Alcoa's district.  I believe we certainly could have added a few Silver Balls to our trophy case and Alcoa could have as well if we were in different sides of the bracket.  But heck, now that we have a couple of the Gold ones, and Alcoa has a trophy case full of Gold ones,  who wants the Silver ones anyway....ha