Overton's Terry Anderson retires

workinprogress

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beefy and Runs way of hiring seems more logically and a much speedier process. That saves a lot of time

I wouldn't think Campbell comes to Overton without some kind of inside of being the next football coach, he was asked to come to Overton... I can't wait to see who get this job. This is like the male soap opera lmao

Beefy you may be right about those guys. That's not who my kids heard it from. I'm still saying Richard ends up at Antioch. And you can't let kids determine who the coach will be. You might let them give input and reasons why but at the end of the day it's the admins decision to make the right choice for the team and school.

Run I don't think you can go wrong with either one but Campbell is already in the building and the kids are asking for him to be the coach they love him. And I agree with you on handling it, I think you call him and offer it to him of he except then the interview process doesn't matter         I am not sure the interviews matter very much in most hires. I would think a few hires do when the admin has no idea who they want. If I were hiring a coach I would seek who I wanted and not rely on applications.

Edited by runtheball

This should get interesting.  

Ayedollot is interesting if for nothing else his name.  I still don't see why he would want to get back in to metro coming from Rutherford where you have people that take care of your field, strong boosters, a long list of capable assistants, etc.  

While Campbell had success at HL, I would think if it was him he would have been coined the HC in waiting or the open application process would not have been this long.

I highly doubt McPhail for a few reasons, if he was it why wouldn't it already be known and he bounced out of Antioch to the privates and from what I know was "above" metro while the times were good.

I don't know your guy well Run (Morrison) but I would lump that in the same category as Campbell, seems like a long dog and pony show to go through for an in house guy.

What I know of Gore, he has done a lot to build the structure of the program of McGavock and tries to do right by the kids.  I also know he is highly regarded in coaching circles and with administration.  His record is what it is but McGavock has rarely if ever been a "good" program (I think when it first opened), have some theories on that as well but I'll share those if someone has a metro thread. 

The good thing about Overton for whoever gets it is (assuming they stay) there seems to be a solid core of assistants already in place.  That is something that is hard to get in metro especially, unfortunately some guys have to fill their staffs with stipend takers or with guys who bounce from place to place.  I have experienced and heard stories of guys who do the bare minimum but can't be fired and guys who are actively unprofessional and only looking out for themselves but keep landing jobs because it's so hard to fill staffs in Metro, hard to build and maintain with that.

Fballfiend you make great points. Ron will only apply if Overton calls him and expresses interest. That will not happen. So if Ron really wants it he will have to apply like everyone else. Doubt he will do that. McPhail is well liked but I don't think he gets it either. He came to Overton just wanting to get back as an assistant and that's what he is. And I think he is a good assistant but his record as a head coach was not all that great. Maybe he has learned since then but just don't think it will happen. Morrison is and always has been the best coach for Overton. However he has made it very clear he doesn't want it. Campbell's record as a head coach is good. However, he had Elrod running the offense and Moreno running the defense. That's a pretty good pair working with you and greatly contributed to his success. Think he ends up at Antioch. You hit gore and mcgavock on the head. As far as Overton, Anderson always put together a good staff that wanted to be at Overton. Morrison, Crawford, and Martin have been there a long time. That's hard to find anywhere, not just in metro. Several of Anderson's assistants have gone on to be head coaches. Buddy Brown, Maurice Fitzgerald, Scott smith, bubba spears, carter, and brad Peden.

Questions remain as to who the new coach will be. Some say Richard, Ron, or Gore. There are others that have a realistic shot as well. Could even be someone that has not been mentioned. Time will tell. We should know something by mid February if not a little sooner.

I dont want to go back and quote each thing Id like to reply to so Ill just hit a couple quick points..

* Campbell was in no way promised anything at all when he came to Overton in reference to what happens when Anderson left.

* Mcphail did not come to Overton to just be an assistant. Dont believe me? Just ask him. He has had no issue telling people that he planned on putting in for Head Coach when Anderson was done. 

*In reference to the players from the early 2000s Hillsboro team, those kids were rezoned from Glencliff, not Overton. They were not there because of M. Phillips, they were there because thats where they were zoned to go. 

*To the comment made about RA doing "nothing" at Riverdale, if a 10-0 season and 2 trips to the 6A state semis is considered "nothing". Then I guess you are right. Both of those semi-final losses were to Maryville by the way, who beats everyone. 

Edited by tnhsfbfan85

Actually Rons state championship team had 3 kids from Overton. The zones changed that year and they were Seniors. They had the choice of staying at Overton or transfering to Hillsboro. I cannot remember all there names but I know 2 of them played LB. I think they were Montez Peebles and Dominique Johnson.

Edited by duckhntr

I don't know your guy well Run (Morrison) but I would lump that in the same category as Campbell, seems like a long dog and pony show to go through for an in house guy. I think Coach Morrison could have the job if he wanted it,but he has made it clear he does not. The dog and pony show must go in in metro, just another SSDD,5 down 5 across metro thing. I think the day Coach Anderson  stepped down Coach Morrison could have had the job,but metro would still go through the procedure. He is what most long time Overton supporters still want, someone who understands and will continue Overton traditions. Not that someone else can't do a good job.